Cracked shoulders on 300 Weatherby

243winxb

when the cases came out of the FL die and the shoulders looked crimped. I tried again without lubing the shoulder and it still did it. The die is brand new.
Did you clean the die on the 2nd try? RCBS FL dies have a vent hole, is that open. Look for it in the side of the die in the thread area. If the vent is not open, it may be possible to compress the air/lube, on sizing, denting the case. If this does not fix the problem, i would send the die to RCBS. After you clean the die, make sure the 1st case into the die has a little extra lube. None on the shoulder. Dont stick a case in the FL die.

Last edited:

mardanlin

The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard, looks like one of the older ones, but I'm no expert. It is Remington brass, they did not split until they were FL sized. They were fired 2-3 times prior with no defect. The shoulders do change radically when fired from the factory or after a FL sizing. Yes, this is the only brass I have for this rifle. I have just ordered 25 pieces of Norma brass so I will let you know how they perform.

243winxb

The shoulders do change radically when fired from the factory
The shoulder may move forward on firing & outward to fill the chamber. The fired brass from factory new ammo should not have any cracks. If it does, than its a chamber problem.

reynolds357

Since it seems your chamber is generous; try using your full length die like a neck sizer. Set it up according to the neck sizing instructions and then slowly run it in just to the point the cases quit being sticky in the chambers. I had/have a .300 WBY mag made by Remington that did the same thing. The chamber was cut entirely too deep. I have no idea how Remington did it. As best I can tell, the reamer would have to have been out of spec. Head space was perfect, but the shoulder way a long way forward of where it should have been. I turned it into a .30/8mm Rem mag, no taper, 45 degree shoulder pushed forward. Now it shoots wonderful.

Reloader2

I've got a Remington 700 300 Weatherby and so far no issues. I set up the sizing die to just allow the cases to chamber and I also don't push the envelope on hot loads. I would think if you neck size you should get more than one firing before having to go to the full length sizing again.

F. Guffey

Quote:
I also noticed when the cases came out of the FL die and the shoulders looked crimped if that makes sense,

Yes it does.

F. Guffey

Not something a reloader can grasp, but when the neck develops creases and folds because of forming and or too much lube the crease and or fold does not always form to the chamber.
The fold and or crease can rip and or tare, the metal can not move as fast as the expanding gas wants it to.

I know, I was told you bet, no problem, the little dents will just pop right out, after those pears of wisdom I started responding with 'FANTASTIC'.

F. Guffey

243winxb

If you feel its a die problem?

I would call RCBS and ask if its possible to return the defective FL die with 3 fired brass from factory new ammo. RCBS may custom fit a new die for you at no charge. Years ago, i ordered my 7mm Rem. Mag. FL die from them. Worked great without over working the brass on sizing.

F. Guffey

Quote:
I also noticed when the cases came out of the FL die and the shoulders looked crimped if that makes sense,

Yes it does.

F. Guffey

And I would suggest a reloader use less lube on the shoulder of the case and I would suggest the reloader check the die for a vent hole, I know, I have been told the vent hole is designed to allow purging excessive lube. The small vent hole in my dies is a vent for venting air, excessive lube will plug it.

I clean my dies with a towel on a dowel, on occasions I clean the vent hole JIC.

F. Guffey

Last edited:

F. Guffey

If you feel its a die problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would call RCBS and ask if its possible to return the defective FL die with 3 fired brass from factory new ammo. RCBS may custom fit a new die for you at no charge. Years ago, i ordered my 7mm Rem. Mag. FL die from them. Worked great without over working the brass on sizing.

I would suggest the reloader spend time practicing 'correctly'. Nothing beats knowledge and skill, I would suggest the reloader learn to measure the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case then find a way to transfer that measurement to the press, die and shell holder, then find a way to determine the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face.

F. Guffey

reynolds357

Guffey, doing all that is pretty much defeating most of the purpose of having a belted magnum. I can do it, but If I have to do it the chamber is out of spec.

Last edited:

F. Guffey

Guffey, doing all that is pretty much defeating most of the purpose of having a belted magnum. I can do it, but If I have to do it the chamber is out of spec.

Reyolds357, the scary part? You are serious. That is the good news, the bad news? You do not want to know.

the chamber is out of spec.

All if my dies and presses have threads, threads afford me the luxury of adjustment, the length if the chamber is fixed. To size a case that fits the chamber I must know the distance from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face with without a belt and or rim. Or mindlessly pull the handle to raise the ram to size a case with total disregard for the chamber the case will be fired in.

F. Guffey

reynolds357

Guffey, the scary part is you have accustomed yourself to adjusting your reloading to accommodate shoddy gun smithing. A FL die used with the proper shell holder returns brass to the upper end of Saami Spec at full cam over. Is that how I reload my Bench rest Ammo? No. It is how I re-load most of my hunting ammo? Yes. Years ago I got tired of having ammo that would only shoot in one rifle. I usually return hunting ammo to Saami specs. Do you have much experience with WBY radius shoulder ammo? Shoulders splitting are a common problem when the chamber is cut too deep. When you try to acommodate for the mis cut chamber by backing off on the die, you are for all practical purposes just neck sizing. Reload that brass a couple times at WBY pressure and the brass will be sticky. If the chamber is out of spec you are just exchanging one problem for another by trying to adjust it away with the dies. If you do much wildcatting with WBY as the parent case, you will quickly discover that you want to replace the radius shoulder with a 45-48 degree shoulder.
Maybe its just me, but If I have a chamber out of spec to the point we are discussing here, I fix it.
If the way I describe loading hunting ammo is so wrong, why does every die manufacturer I can think of instruct the die to be set up that way?

Last edited:

F. Guffey

If the way I describe loading hunting ammo is so wrong, why does every die manufacturer I can think of instruct the die to be set up that way?

If you were my neighbor I could gather instructions, drive over just to determine if you can read and comprehend. Normally I would just say life is not fair, problem, I would have to explain the meaning of "Life is not fair".

I have instructions for die adjustment 'in the box', my instructions that came 'in the box' are/were not written in a manner rather rude, my instructions include words like 'we suggest' 'it is possible' 'we recommend' and 'it is not necessary'. And you may find it necessary etc..

F. Guffey

reynolds357

What do your instructions say about full length sizing?

You could read Step 2 in RCBS link http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/XDieProductInstructions.pdf.

I might have a few problems in life, but I can guarantee you reading comprehension is not one of them.
Please point out to me where I failed to comprehend what RCBS said. It would be pleasant if you debated content instead of leveling insults.

You do not have to bring your instructions to my house. We now have scanners and PDF files.

Last edited: