Cracked Kimber frame

Sarge

I literally LOL'ed at that, Jason.

Hope you get your service issue sorted at at minimal expense, djcantr.

AKsRul.e

:(

This is what happens when a company (ANY COMPANY ) copies and modifies a proven design without proper engineering oversight and testing.

You can only take so many shortcuts with John Brownings design before you run into trouble.

High tech alloys and CNC machining often improve the bottom line , but
NOT the design.

Colt has made alloy frame 1911s for decades , and they as well as other mfgs. have introduced and marketed lighter and shorter 1911s.

The problems arise when the MarketPlace becomes a companys
"Test Lab".

JohnKSa

Administrator
It happens as the result of the thin cross-sections and sharp corners...which are stress risers.
Yup. I wonder why they don't simply "radius" that corner given that it's a known problem.

Jason_G

Yup. I wonder why they don't simply "radius" that corner given that it's a known problem.

Hmm, I never thought about that, but I could see that working. I dunno :confused: Good question.

Jason

BDM 9MM

Jason - I to have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I have run a little over 2,000 rounds downrange. All except 200 have been my reloads - no cracks yet. Can you tell me what ammo you have been using. Thanks, Dan

ggood

cracked frame

That happened to me on 2 different kimbers both lightweight frames and also on 2 Colt steel frames and one or 2 steel slides. As far as your Kimbers go,they will replace them. On my last Kimber a ultra,I paid them $200 more and got a steel frame instead of free alum one. I shoot 5.0 Bullseye and a 200 gr bullet as Wilson once told me to use in the early 80's. I believe

in using only full power loads as that is what I would use in the real world. It works as I know exactly where my sights will fall after firing and timing for next trigger squeeze is automatic etc etc and etc. All that comes at a cost and that is wear and tear. I don't believe lightweight frames are up to that kind of shooting.Will probably do much better with bullseye type loads. I never understand that a carry gun is not meant to be shot alot because to my thinking it is probably the one I want to be most familiar with and most proficient with. A few years ago I cracked a slide on a $3400 custom gun and builder charged me 800 for new slide and bbl(not stock configuration). After having gun over 1 year he tells me frame is cracked and wanted 1800 for new frame etc. I took gun back after slide was changed and had 2 cracks welded and refinished and gun looks and feels mint. Didn't shoot it yet due to high blood levels of lead but hope that soon it will go down. I have also heard as in previous thread that many time you can shoot with cracked frame but mine was getting worse all the time. Anyway enjoy your gun when you get it back and keep the above in mind. By the way I have another Kimber steel gun that shoots on par with all of my custom guns at least to 25 yds with only a trigger job.

Last edited: