Cracked barrel bushing??

OneClownDown

Sig uses a considerable number of MIM parts in their guns, the hammer and trigger (for sure), and the worthless internal extractor (probably) in my P220ST are MIM, Not sure about the barrel bushing in your SIG 1911.

You're speaking of a completely different gun. The GSR's do not have MIM parts.

fastbolt

No need to drag the MIM manufacturing method into the fray.

I've seen my fair share of cracked or broken cast & forged steel parts. ;)

brickeyee

So, how did all those pistols with straight barrels work for the last 90 years or so?

There is a relief step in the armory parts drawing for the bushing.
It is 0.581 +0.002 ID for about 0.16 inches then increases to 0.610 +0.015 ID for the remainder of the bushing.
This provides the relief for tip down.

I have not seen a bushing made to the drawings in years.
Most are the same (smaller) diameter all the way through.

WESHOOT2

received a new Wilson bushing; stainless steel

Fit the slide (tight; needed a wee bit of hard-stone to convince it) and fit the barrel.

So I put it together and the gun would not hand cycle.
Reinstalled sloppy bushing and gun would hand cycle.
Reinstalled Wilson and the gun would not hand cycle.

I suspect it needs to be relieved to allow vertical barrel swing.

Skirt bind; maybe.

HisSoldier

There is always the possibility of internal flaws in the metal, whether forged, machined from barstock or MIM'ed, that do not show to normal inspection procedures. Everything is cost related, I don't expect that anyone x-rays small parts for pistols. Even if the gun cost $10,000 (due to every imaginable inspection being done on every part) there could still be an internal flaw that got through. So, it's about final cost and compromise. It is interesting though that the new bushings are thicker, but properly fitted it doesn't seem like they should crack.

brickeyee

It is interesting though that the new bushings are thicker, but properly fitted it doesn't seem like they should crack.

Without clearance for tip down of the barrel either the action will not cycle or something is going to be under a lot of stress.
Kuhnhasen has a good description of how and where to relieve the bushing.
The Briley spherical bushing was developed for a reason.
It allows for a tight fir while also providing for tip down.