Cover garments

Mobuck

I wear a vest to comply and conceal from the average "not knows". I really don't care if an astute observer understands what the vest is covering.

ClydeFrog

Magnum PI hat & shirt....

If you choose the "Aloha" shirts, you could add a VM-02 navy blue ball cap too. :D
See the USMC section of www.USwings.com .
These are the authentic ball caps Tom Selleck's Magnum & his USMC veteran buddy; TC wore on the hit CBS crime series. www.imdb.com

The company also markets HI stuff: www.mokuman.com .

Aloha!

Clyde
PS; You have grow your own sexy 'stashe.... :D

btmj

I do the Hawaiian shirt thing when the temps are above 90. It may look a bit odd on a guy under the age of 60 (I am 46), but not so odd as to draw attention. Wearing tactical or "western wear" would be more out-of-place in my neck-of-the-woods... I see photos of guys wearing jeans, boots, leather vest, and a cowboy hat... It would be nice to dress that way, but I would definitely NOT blend in...

People wear all kinds of things, and 90% of us are not going to please the fashionistas no matter what we wear... and honestly, who cares what the fashionistas think. While it is true you have to be comfortable with how you look, some sacrifices have to be made to concealment and comfort-while-concealing.

In addition to Hawaiian shirts, I also wear a lot of short-sleeve button-down oxford style shirts which I wear untucked with shorts. or a kangaroo-carry armpit carry with the shirt tucked in.

9ballbilly

Not 'zactly the gray man's choice of wear

If you meant not standing out in a crowd, that is precisely my goal.

The only time I carry "off body" is when I'm mountain bike riding. I usually only wear cotton shorts and a tank top. My EDC gear goes in a fanny pack along with my wallet, keys, and a small can of Mace for deterring aggressive dogs. The pack is designed for CC and has a separate compartment for the gun. I've also tried a much more expensive Maxpedition bag. It is very well made but drew more attention than I was comfortable with, so I retired it and went back to the plain old Uncle Mike's fanny pack I've had for almost twenty years.

dawg23

That technique has the Paul Gomez (RIP) seal of approval.

Paul & I used to "compete" to see who could wear the best "urban camo."

Very few people suspect an OWB Glock 19 to be under a "Hawaiian" shirt covered with fish, sailboats, flowers, etc.

Erno86

Those Tac/photographers vest's are sometimes called: "Shoot Me First Vests", that is...say, if a gun robber stages a hit on a store. The robber cases the store patron's/clerks and will first shoot at anybody who is wearing a vest, thinking that the wearer has a concealed gun under his/her vest.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Nathan said:
Teach me! How do you leave shirts unbuttoned and maintain concealment? I always leave the house like this but end up buttoning a button pretty quick due to wind, etc
A friend of mine gave me a tip on this. I haven't honestly tried it yet, but I keep swearing that I'm going to. He takes a couple of what we used to call "slugs," metal disks, about the size of a quarter, and either stitches or glues them into the "front corners" of the shirt, along the seam where the buttons are. Obviously, this won't stop the shirt from blowing in gale-force winds, but he says it helps with minor gusts.

Brit

dawg23,
Said this[QUOTE Very few people suspect an OWB Glock 19 to be under a "Hawaiian" shirt covered with fish, sailboats, flowers, etc. ][/QUOTE]

That's what I wear! For going to a nice Restaurant, one of my really nice Guayabera, Spanish/Cuban? style shirts looks great.

And as the Style is a sort of stiff, straight cut, hides a pistol, the One I carry, a Glock19, with spare G17 mag. and Surefire flashlight on the "Weak" side.

The tight fitting tee shirt completes the picture. Hi neck. Also protects against hot brass!

dawg23

Style people! Please have a shirt with square tails if youre not going to tuck it in!

^^^ This.

Button up shirts w/ squared off shirt-tails are called "camp shirts" (Cuban shirts are usually called Guayabera). Plenty of places to order them online.

I'm also lucky enough to be able to carry Glock 19 in OWB with Underarmour polo shirts, untucked. Of course I pick dark patterns, and don't buy shirts that fit too tightly.

As was mentioned earlier, Gomez was a great guy -- and an incredible resource about things related to self defense. Every time I attended a training class (Tom Givens, Yeager, Andy Stanford, et al), there was Paul, usually shooting a G19. We seemed to always manage to have adjacent firing lanes.

Paul is the only guy I knew who could find shirts that were uglier than mine. I would draw the line at flowers (opting for Mayan patterns, dogs, sailboats, whatever). Not Paul -- he was a purist, and the magnolia blossoms or chrysanthemums were the most effective urban camo.

I think everyone misses Paul. I know I do.

Kilroy08

Spats, "...He takes a couple of what we used to call "slugs," metal disks, about the size of a quarter, and either stitches or glues them into the "front corners" of the shirt, along the seam where the buttons are."

I picked up on the same thing too. I was reading G. Gordon Liddy's biography and he was talking about the same thing involving a 1 ounce fishing sinker in the front corner of his suit jacket back during his FBI days. Now that you reminded me of that, I might have to break out the needle and thread after I pick up some stainless washers.

I usually prefer Hawaiian shirts or ones with a checkered print during the summer. My Glock 22 riding in a shoulder holster pretty much disappears.

During colder weather, nothing beats a good leather jacket. I could probably make my 6" GP100 disappear inside that.

ClydeFrog

reading material.....

If you'd like some interesting input on fashion/concealment garments, pick up the novel; The Protector. It's author, David Morrell(who wrote First Blood & created the John J Rambo character) is very detailed.
In the novel, the main character(a former CAG/Delta Force member) goes over his wardrobe & how to key into "operators", :cool: .
Morrell's research is not off the mark. COL Charles Beckwith, the Airborne Ranger who started & ran the first version of SFOD-1/Delta hired a "fashion consultant" to aid the members in covert ops/protection details.

CF

MountainDrew

I have made a few observations that flavor my clothing selections

1. Jacket cannot have an elastic waste. several of my old favorite jackets have the elastic waste, and you cannot move around without is catching, snagging, or trying to pull up and expose your gun. Plain bottom edge is best, with no trim.

2. Shirt (or Jacket) fabric that is stretchy is a no-no. Stretchy fabric catches and prints about ten times worse than non-stretch fabric. Heavier is better, but even a thin summer button up can conceal nicely if it is a little loose and plain fabric. I can conceal a full size gun in a short sleeve button up shirt tucked in loosely and "bloused" out a little bit. Cannot do it with a stretchy polo or such. Hawaiian shirts are great, cotton or rayon, but again stretchy one don't work well.

3. All my pants are bought now with IWB carry compensated for. It just means they are slightly loose without a holster in there, but that's what a belt is for.

ClydeFrog

Drawstrings....

I avoid jackets & coats with any drawstrings or large zippers.
These small items can snag or get caught as you go to draw in a hurry. :eek:

You may think a jacket drawstring or minor thing like a zipper isn't necessary but I once got the belt loop of my pants caught on a door latch! :rolleyes:

Clyde

Erno86

I think why some of these yo's walk around what looks like there pants are falling down, is that it would be easier to hide a pistol inside the crotch of your pants; that seem to be at least part ways falling down.

ClydeFrog

Plexico....

NFL star Plexico Burgess had his .380acp pistol slide down his leg.
Reportedly he was wearing pants with just a drawstring(no belt).
Burgess didnt have a holster either, :confused: , which made the compact pistol slip. He pulled the trigger & the round hit the side of his leg.

Brit

Clyde, a buddy of mine, an OPP Constable. (Ontario Provincial Police) told me of a funny tale (Well I thought it was funny) he had stopped a speeder, not far from Toronto, on the 401.

"Let go of your pants, put your hands on your ears" I know it sounds weird, but that is what he said, he said.

"Clunk" "Step back, turn around" Nice pistol, .380! Stuck in waist band.

His Sgt. was upset that he unloaded it, and put all the rounds, and magazine, in an evidence bag, with the pistol.

"How can we prove he had it, your finger prints will be all over it!"

Rob was a gun person, the thought of taking a pistol in to the Station, not unloaded did not bear thinking about. The most Officers were not gun people.
Only knew about the one they were issued.

His comment was "I will tell the Judge what happened" covered the evidence.