Could it be Done: Mini Mauser in 9x19

jackstrawIII

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Thought it was interesting that another thread was just started regarding the “Destroyer Carbine”. Interesting possibilities there, but I think I’m going to try a few other options first. I do handload, and am going to try some reduced 7.62x39 Loads with H4895. Can do the same thing with 223 I guess. I do have a 527 in both calibers, so maybe I’ll try both and see which shoots better and is quieter.

Still would prefer a 9x19 option. Someone mentioned using one of the 22TCM armscore rifles. That’s definitely a solid option, and would be cheaper than rebuilding a 527 to do the job. Anyone have an experience doing this conversion?

Thanks for the feedback, and if anyone happens to stumble across a 9x19 Bolt, let me know please!!

I have seen pictures of people shooting rifles through a series of tires to create an off gun sound suppression effect. My understanding is this system is legal as it is not attached to the firearm. I shot at a place with concrete tubes mostly designed to reduce ricochets, but also supposed to reduce sound. I wasn't impressed with sound reduction at shooters position, but it may have reduced sound at other locations.

the possum

Jack-
I've made light loads for my CZ using cheap cast .32 pistol bullets and a pinch of Red Dot. Other fast powders can work as well. They're just a lot of fun to shoot, cheap enough to plink with (less than 10 cents per round), and don't cause excessive damage on small game. I shared a bit about that in this thread: Squirrel hunting with 7.62x39

jackstrawIII

Going to try two things:

1. Some old 125 Grain Sierra Pro Hunters I have on hand with reduced H4895 loads. Should shoot ok in the 7.62x39 and be around 1,300 fps or so.
2. Some 55 grain loads in the 223 with Trail Boss powder. I guess you can start at 4 grains and work up until the case is filled, stopping when you're pleased with the accuracy. That should be quite slow (1,100 fps) and quite quiet.

We'll see how it goes.

taylorce1

All I found was two Deystroyer carbines and a custom M98 in 9X57. i did find three .22 TCM rifles ready to be converted to 9mms.

First concern is bolt overtravel.
Second is modifying the mag well to take a 9mm magazine. For that I'd have to look at the Spanish Destroyer (why reinvent the wheel?).
Third, if the bolt travel is shortened, a new ejector will have to be devised.

Wrought

I cannot find it anymore sadly. I found it before just by searching for Mauser 98 action. It had no bolt or anything just the action and it said in the description it was for a 9x19 build but it was never completed. Shes gone now boys.

Last edited:

jackstrawIII

How about this:

What if you took a Destroyer Carbine (9x23) and set the barrel back 4mm to make the chamber 9x19?

Would it be that simple?

Scorch

Yes, pretty much, just set it back and re-cut the chamber. Or, even easier, make a 4mm chamber insert then recut the chamber. 9mm Parabellum case head is slightly larger than 9mm Largo head size.

Ibmikey

No not quite as easy as setting the barrel back, the major problem is in feeding the short cartridge from the 9x23 magazine and the extractor that does not seem to be fond of the 9mm P case (probably varies rifle to rifle).