Could it be Done: Mini Mauser in 9x19

jackstrawIII

Ok, this might be a bit far fetched, but hear me out.

Would it be possible to take a CZ 527 in 223 and convert it to shoot 9x19 handgun ammo?

Now, since I know some of you will ask “why do you want that?” and that’s a valid question, here’s why. I want a bolt action rifle to train my wife with without having to go to the gun club . I don’t get her away from the kids to go shooting much, so being able to shoot at our home range would be great. I never shoot “real” rifles rounds at the house range, as a courtesy to the neighbors. I know the obvious answer is a 22lr, but I want something that will help her get used to the bump of the stock a bit. She’ll likely use my existing 527 in 7.62x39 when she hunts with me next year, so this would be perfect practice.

Also, it would enable us to shoot at my steel pistol targets, which would be fun.

So, that’s the why.

Any thoughts on the how?

Ps. I’m in NY, so a suppressor is out of the question, unfortunately.

Last edited:

handlerer2

I don't see how you could do this w/o a rebarrel. Don't know about the bolt.

The 7.62x39 is quite tame by comparison to many other centerfire chamberings. Maybe a good recoil pad or shoulder pad might help.

Other members of this forum might know if there is a suitable 22lr insert for the CZ. That's the only thing I can think of. Good luck.

A suppressor is an option I suppose.

Hawg

I don't see how you could do this w/o a rebarrel. Don't know about the bolt.

It would have to be rebarreled and the receiver and bolt shortened. It would not be something you could easily redo if it didn't work out.

Remington74

Given enough money anything can be done.
As far as shooting the 9mm compared to a .223, I think I'd just let the neighbors know and have at it. What will be the sound difference between the two at the neighbors house?

44 AMP

Staff
rebarrel, yes, the bolt face is about the right size, might need some minor tweeking of the extractor. The bolt won't need to be shortened, but it ought to have its travel length adjusted for efficiency.

The mag is the tricksy part, it will need the excess length blocked off, and then whatever work needs done so it feeds well. Not impossible but needs a lot of work to get it done right, and that means $$$$.

good luck!

I know the obvious answer is a 22lr, but I want something that will help her get used to the bump of the stock a bit. She’ll likely use my existing 527 in 7.62x39 when she hunts with me next year, so this would be perfect practice.

You might consider using the 7.62x39 gun you already have, and handloading light recoil (and low report) loads for her to practice with, working her up to full power loads eventually. The benefits are, she uses the same rifle, and a reloading set up still costs less than a new gun, and way less than having expensive custom conversion work done on a gun.

Your call.

Scorch

It could be done, but not easily or cheaply. If you want to shoot 9mm in a bolt action (for whatever reason), it would be cheaper to buy one of the RIA bolt action rifles that shoot 22TCM and put a 9mm barrel on it.

Ricklin

PCC?

There are several pistol caliber carbines available. Why not something like the new Ruger PCC?

No it's not bolt action..........

Glenn E. Meyer

There are 357 mag Ruger bolt action rifles. I don't know if they can shoot 38 SPL but downloading the 357 cases wouldn't be hard.

There are the lever action 38/357 guns. There are the various 32 caliber Lever actions.

Jim Watson

There have been conversions of '98 Mausers to shoot .45 ACP. Also the silenced British deLisle on a Enfield action. They both have been adapted to use 1911 magazines.
So if you wanted a Mini-Mauser to shoot 9mm, it would probably be more straightforward to alter it to take some pistol magazine instead of trying to mung up the .223 box. Not cheap or easy, just more straightforward.

Nodak1858

Rhineland Arms makes a barrel for a small ring Mauser in 9mm. They have a lot of interesting stuff, maybe they'd custom make one. I took a 1916 Spanish Mauser and put one of their 45 acp set ups on it. Still have a few links to work out but it's a hoot to shoot.

Ibmikey

My Spanish Destroyer ( ex Spanish police) is a light weight Mauser style bolt action chambered in 9x23 (9mm Largo). The rifle is incredibly accurate and fun to shoot, I have killed Texas hogs with it.

PlatinumCore16

I would second for a destroyer carbine. That gives you a bolt action with a pistol round, just need to reload, which with a personal range, I would assume is something you do.

Addition: after a bit of googling, it appears you are not the only one: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/any-bolt-actions-in-9x19.45883/

Edit: after further thinking (I grew up in NY, so I understand your neighbor situation), why not just down load 223 rounds? You could control the report that way. Especially because when you think about it, 9mm out of a 16in bbl is still gonna end up with some noise.

T. O'Heir

"...help her get used to the bump of the stock..." .223 will do that with a whole lot less time and money involved. So will 7.62 x 39.
A 62 grain .223 at 3025 FPS out of a 7 pound rifle has 3.9 ft-lbs of recoil energy.
A 125 at 2350 FPS, 7.62 x 39 out of that 7 pounder(that's probably an SKS. There's no recoil at all with an SKS) ) has 6.9 ft-lbs.
A Mini Mauser weighs about 6 pounds. They make one in .22 Hornet too. Negligible recoil out of either.
However, one of the assorted 9mm carbines would cost less than rebuilding a CZ. Bolt face would require altering and you'd need to re-design the mag to something already using 9mm.
"...at the house range..." What kind of fall zone? Even 9mm requires several miles.