Coronavirus panic Ammogeddon 2.0?

Obambulate

Once again,I have nothing against people buying guns and ammo.

My wild imagination is not seeing a scenario today,in the midst of this epidemic,
that makes a gun and some ammo more necessary than it was 4 months ago.

The supply chain of food,toilet paper,and everything else was adequate 4 months ago.
Its adequate to supply what we need.

Its not adequate to supply our fears. It never will be.

Reacting to our fears makes shortages self fulfilling.

There is nothing about a 75 year old person dying a lung disease that I can solve with a 9mm

I'm not going to shoot anyone over a roll of toilet paper.

What is it you fear? I just don't understand.
I think the idea is that we are 9 missed meals away from anarchy, and something like 3 weeks away from cannibalism if food is not available. The veneer of civilization can be rather thin in the best of times; it drops away quickly when masses are starving.

Bottom line, we have built a complex, intertwined, global society. We don't know what will happen when it screeches to a halt, but I suspect the stress points will be tested and found lacking, perhaps catastrophically.

TXAZ

I wouldn't start predicting imminent anarchy, we have a real leadership team in the Executive Branch that's making tangible progress and has previous-detractors pulling in the same direction.
Navy hospital ships to the hardest hit areas, logistics companies helping to ensure basic needs are getting delivered, etc, etc.

We'll make it, there may be some hot spots here and there but having worked with FEMA, Defense and other agencies in crises, we'll get there.

Geezerbiker

I went to my local BiMart store yesterday to buy a fishing license. These are sold at the gun counter. There were 3 guys waiting to hear back from the state for approval to buy their gun. The hand gun display case was 3/4's full and the had plenty of rifles and shotguns. However all the cheap ammo was gone but there was plenty of the more expensive stuff available. So maybe it's not quite as crazy here. I can't say the same for grocery stores...

Tony

MarkCO

TXAZ, I agree with you, but.

There will be some very difficult areas in high crime high density areas. This stimulus package will put some businesses out of business. 5 weeks of pay with no cash flow will cripple many small businesses. I have three businesses, but no employees, and all three are down significantly because my clients can't work, even though I technically can.

The team has done a good job, but I do worry about the "next time" consequences. I worry about the HS seniors who have lost their shot at college or pro sports opportunities because they can't play, my son included.

I do think, and hope, there will be a new normal that emerges in 30 days. One where we do more homeschooling, more telecommuting, less driving, but spend more time in quality community relationships. We need to watch out for our neighbors more, spend less time exchanging personal relationships for social media. I made the decision to close my shop/office 4 years ago and let my employees go and I did exactly those things. I make less, but I am happier, more involved. I am the Head Coach of a HS trap team and I photograph 4 of the HS varsity teams. I spend time as the trainer for 2 church security teams, volunteer as an adversary for the Sheriff's office, and teach some other things as well. We care for 4 aging parents with health issues as well. All things I could not have done it I maintained the 50 to 60 hours a week working in and running my company. The shift has made me a better, more empathetic person and a better citizen. I hope many will find a similar path as a result of this.

rc

In California a lot of counties are under shelter in place orders. Some counties still had people crowding into flea markets. The most populous counties with shelter in place are unable to go to a non essential place like a gun shop and with the 10 day wait here even if you could find a gun to buy it's hard to know if you could pick up your gun after the waiting period. California gun laws are working as intended:mad:

HiBC

I accept that I don't now enough about disease transmission to have a strong position abut this shutdown stuff.

A lot of individuals are taking a big hit. The balance is,we aren't in as bad shape as Italy. I don't know.

One thing to keep in mind is these shut downs and shelter in place declarations are (appropriately) local control. They are not Federal. Its a mayor or Governor that puts them in place.
If the National Guard gets called up,,the Governor does it.

I don't call that good,bad,or indifferent,but that is who is accountable.

rickyrick

I was actually expecting riots after the election, while some argue that rioting after an election is a civil right, it sure makes going to the store inconvenient with the roads blocked and trash can fires. So I was already stocked up on dry goods.
I keep ammunition for recreational purposes. If I find myself desperately needing more that one magazine full of ammunition... I’m either handling the situation way wrong, or I’m simply in over my head... either way I’m done. Lol

stinkeypete

I read a good article in The NY Times about my people panic buy, written by a psychologist. Maybe I am summarizing incorrectly but I took away from it “lots of people are not too bright, they are worried and feel out of control. They learn “everyone” is buying TP so they run out and buy a shopping cart full. Now they feel better because they did something to prepare.” That explains that stupid behavior to my satisfaction.

As stated well above, I worry about people with no training buying firearms (especially pistols) with no training, experience, or even good self education about the gun safety rules we all have been practicing since we were kids under our parent’s wing.

While people may be buying like crazy now, I hope they are buying quality firearms as I’ll be happy to buy their stuff for pennies on the dollar when this passes, probably in a few months.

I’m not any kind of concealed carry guy, but I live in a great neighborhood and know all my neighbors by name. I took the neighbors pheasant hunting last season as I have a dog and theirs is a sweet old fella to old to walk a quarter mile. Lots of us have keys to each other’s houses for when plants need watered or pets need fed during vacations.

That said, I used to reload extensively. When I eased back, I kept a single stage press, 30-06 dies, .357 dies and .308 dies and a few powders, lots of bullets and primers. I don’t shoot as much as I used to, but there is enough material to make over 500 of something that goes substantially “boom”.

It’s hard for me to see a great sale on quality .22 ammunition, let alone when boutique .22 ammo can be bought for the price of CCI SV. I seem to have a couple ammo cans of .22 LR and that in my mind is squirrel or rabbit stew for several lifetimes. In a pinch, I can enjoy target shooting this summer at the range.

I’m remembering my grandmother. When I was a little boy, I was curious about the vaccination mark on her upper arm. She was 20 years old during the influenza outbreak in 1919 and the Polio epidemic. I still remember her crying as she told me that vaccinations were a gift from God and that Jonas Sauk was a saint and a hero and when I got my vaccinations I should be brave and proud I could get them because she said EVERYBODY knew about five people who had died from the flu and every parent prayed every night that their child would not get polio.

My grandfather was in France in WWI and saw some gas. They saw the Influenza, polio, the Great Depression and WWII. She kept a big coffee can of buttons collected from old clothes before they were used as rags, and baby food jars full of old nuts and bolts from appliances that could not be repaired. Food wasn’t to be wasted at her house, you ate all on your plate.

I regret we have some tough times ahead, but we might come out the better for it. Maybe pull together and think more of our neighbors and a little less of our selves.

Along that line, if anyone doubts our situation, I have a pal thats 50 years old in great shape. He got the flu on a business trip. 8 days in the hospital, 3 in intensive care. It’s not a joke.

Think of yourself as a carrier, not as the one getting the virus. Think of yourself passing it along, and think that for every 20 people you pass it to, one WILL die. That’s a 5% mortality rate and that’s what it was in 1919.

Despite people telling that all is fine and there are plenty of medical supplies, that’s not true. There is AT LEAST a distribution problem- hospitals need supplies yesterday and can’t wait a week or two for delivery. So please, stay home, goof off and don’t go out and get everyone you meet sick... once our population has time to build up our natural immunity and get new vaccinations, the explosive initial growth can overwhelm our health care system as happened in Italy.

On a lighter note... I know how to wipe my butt with a bit of the Sears catalog or heaven forbid, a leaf.. so I bought a little extra cooking oil, sugar, flour and eggs. Got plenty of salt, pepper and spices... three pounds of gunpowder and couple of boxes of primers... what else would I really need? I am gonna bake cookies today.

Oh yeah, fishing gear. This might be a good time to tie some flys.

Onward Allusion

I wonder how many anti-gun soccer mom types are now gun owners because the you-know-what might very well hit the fan..............

My rabid anti-gun ex-wife had me bring my AK's back from my parent's house for Y2K. LOL, kids today probably don't know what Y2K was.

Anyway, the point is that anti-gun soccer moms will be the first to double tap you if necessary. Think a Sow and her cubs. :eek:

jdc606

Ammo useless without firearm

My concern. Waiting for someone with a gun to act irrationally so the war powers act can be used to disarm the citizenry. Seeing a divide between young and old now. Young say,"screw this, I'm going." Oldsters saying, "do whatever is necessary to protect me."
I don't imagine the millions of starved/executed comrades in the Soviet Union or China ever saw it coming.
Look what went down with Japanese US citizens during WWII.

HiBC

One thingI know for sure,I'm going to die.
I don't know when. I'm not in any hurry. But the time is going to come.

I watched this movie in 1970.Then,years later:

There was a day I heard a magazine inserted,a round chambered,and then the muzzle was put against my head.
That am writing this means I did not do the wrong thing.

I said " Its a good day to die. But before I do,I'm going to drink one more of your beers." I walked to his refrigerator,pulled out a beer ,popped the top,took a pull,and looked him in the eyes.

He put the gun down.

I've pondered that. It changed me. Am I worried about crazed hoards of desperate people?

Maybe when I see them.They aren't there now.

I've already experienced running out of toilet paper. I faced the elephant. Then stepped into the shower. The elephant faded away.

From the movie "Little Big Man"

https://youtu.be/93PBNHXXWWs

jdc606

One thingI know for sure,I'm going to die.
I don't know when. I'm not in any hurry. But the time is going to come.

Agreed HiBC. Death is a part of living. I know a "prepper" and have long told him,"If there's no water or utilities, I don't want to be a survivor." Talk is cheap and I'll see what I'm made of when the rubber meets the road. All just makes me sad and disappointed seeing the state of things. I do so hope my fears are foolish. I don't have a need to always be right.

HiBC

I'm not so worried about the water and utilities. I don't need much.

I suppose that includes my point. I know two ways to waste time and energy.

Worry,is meditating on a bad outcome.

Hope is waiting for someone else to come along and solve your problem. Its passive.

The one time I really needed a gun to face a real problem at hand the gun was an 1897 Winchester 12 ga. I think my total "basic load" was 10 rounds of slugs.

I'm still here. (It was a bear thing)

As much as we develop our arms room,generally its the gun you are sleepng with that matters,and that 97 had the bear dead before it ran empty.

None of the guns in the safe mattered.

Last edited:

Mainah

I've decided to focus more on living in the moment. Enjoying nature, and things as dumb as tv commercials for stuff no one needs. Beyond that I've decided to focus on the short term for now. Trying to figure out what all this will look like in six months was driving me nuts.

Cheapshooter

Went by my LGS to get some Black Rifle Coffee. Not a box of 9mm left and only a few steel framed pistols and a few ARs plus the really high end stuff. No poly pistols or shotguns left.
But the important question. How was the supply of Black Rifle Coffee?. Especially the CAF

Prof Young

Slowly amassing ammo . . .

Since the first shortage years ago, anytime I find some 22LR ammo that is less than 5 cents a round I buy a bit. I get a few boxes or a brick. Been doing that for a couple of years now and have way more 22LR ammo than I really need. So . . .

All my other ammo I reload my own so . . . .

Life is good.

Prof Young

TXAZ

I'm impressed with the calm and kindness I've seen so far from friends and strangers.
As for ammo inventory:
9mm - either unavailable or on-line ridiculously priced.
.223 / 5.56 - diminishing but available on-line for elevated prices.
.22 LR - widely available at only moderately elevated prices.
.50 BMG - I just bought more match ammo at a lower price than I did last summer, and it seems to be widely available.

Should 'things go really south', .50 BMG will make a very fine home (and neighborhood) defensive weapon. :D :D

ATN082268

Locally in East Tennessee, I had 1000 rounds of 9mm 147 Grain Lawman FMJ rounds which I sold to a local gun store at my cost. I don't shoot as much as I used to and they were extra rounds I decided to put back in circulation. Naturally, the local store marked them up from what I sold them for but not unreasonably so.