Copper Fouling and KG12

hooligan1

I've been trying that product, and from what my sniffer tells me, there's a rat!
It's label says no ammonia, however I don't know of any other chemical that smells like ammonia, so tell me please what the heck is going on here?

I'm also not so sure that it's leaps better than Eliminator.....

MtnCreek

It works well for me and I trust that KG would not include ammonia in a product labeled as ammonia free.

In a quality barrel it will remove copper in two or three patches. Fouled factory barrels require more work. IMO, a parker hale (spelling?) jag speeds up the process.

Snyper

I don't see the big deal about ammonia.
Just don't put it directly on your brass and it won't cause any problems

hooligan1

Snyper, the "big deal" about ammonia is its hard on steel if left in barrel for extended periods.
The MSDS sheet is a good ideal,think I get on that.
And MtnCreek, I didnt say it didnt work, but I dont see the added benefits over BT,Eliminator
Email sent to KG coatings.

Last edited:

buckhorn_cortez

You can find the MSDS for KG 12 on the Brownell's website. However, it's not going to do you much good as the ingredients are listed as "proprietary."

From the KG 12 MSDS:

Chemical Name: Proprietary, Complex Chemical Formula
Common Name: None
Cas Number: N/A

Note: None of the ingredients in KG-12 are in quantities sufficient for regulation and are not considered hazardous under USA dept of transportation guidelines.

However, under the "Odor" listing, the MSDS says:

APPEARANCE AND ODOR Has no order (sic) but if damp could have a very slight ammonia type order. (sic). "Odor" is misspelled "order."

Ridgerunner665

Most any copper cleaner worth having will have ammonia in it...and that's not a problem as long as you don't leave it in the bore for a week.

Montana Extreme copper killer for example...VERY strong stuff, but the ammonia is suspended in oils in the formula...makes it more "steel friendly", and it can be left in the bore for up to 24 hours.

But I don't know why anyone would leave it there that long...about 15 minutes does the trick.

That stuff will melt copper (and your sinuses) from 50 feet away!

Last edited:

wogpotter

There are actually now a few good copper solvents not using ammonia. KG 12 is one & M-Pro-7 is another both of which I like.

I've never noticed an "ammonia-like smell" so maybe the bottle is contaminated?

Here are probably others as well but I have no experience with them.

The percentages are proprietary, the ingredients are listed clearly in the MSDS referenced earlier.

hooligan1

Bore Tech Eliminator works really good, no ammonia.
Not sure why my kg12 has an ammomnia smell to it, they claim it has none.
It works but wondering what effect it has on my barrels compared to Eliminator?

hooligan1

Snyper I use Windex on my Mosin after a trip to the range with that russian ammo, but also I chase it out immediately with hoppes and then G96.
Reynolds does your KG12 smell like ammonia?

reynolds357

Hooligan, to me it does not smell like ammonia. It smells odd, but not like ammonia. I am allergic to ammonia so I usually know when I am around it or around a significant presence of it.

hooligan1

Just finished a triple scrub on my .270, and My wife hollered down the stairs that there was an ammonia odor wafting from basement, I thought it was just me, but this stuff smell like "Butchs", Barnes, Sweets, and every other ammonia based cleaner of any kind....
Anybody else having this odiferous affair with their KG12?

hooligan1

I just contacted them and left the question, "Why does my KG12 smell just like Ammonia,when it has no Ammonia in it?",,,guess I will find out how swift their CS is..

hooligan1

Just an update: 1-16oz. Bottle mailed back.
The customer service is fine, they also told me the same speel about no ammonia in the product, but can't explain why mine went bad!?:rolleyes:

Like I said, their customer service is fine, and I cant wait until they open this bottle and get a wif of that stuff...the fella did say that this stuff changes on the shelf once opened.....hmmmm, and also claims nothing in product that will harm my barrels. Now I got 57.00 in my bottle of KG12...Hey I do want to say that this stuff does work, it does the intended job but the ammonia smell makes me wonder about the claim of no ammonia in product...