Converting an older 870 to home defense platform

Bill DeShivs

Many shotgun barrels are still tapering at 18-20 inches.
Try using your tubing cutter on that!
Tubing and pipe cutters do constrict the barrel. How do you know for sure you have actually removed all of the constriction?

Pipercub

Just buy a new short barrel. A new 26” with Rem choke, is a good way to go. You don’t need a slug barrel for home defense! A slug will go through your wall and a few of your neighbors…I just went through this last year with an old Wingmaster, kept the original 30” full barrel for bird/duck hunting.

labnoti

Many shotgun barrels are still tapering at 18-20 inches.
Try using your tubing cutter on that!
Tubing and pipe cutters do constrict the barrel. How do you know for sure you have actually removed all of the constriction?
That's all? Because before you wrote, "never use a tubing cutter." So it looks like all I need to do is be sure the barrel is not tapered before using a tubing cutter and to be sure I remove any roll afterward. That's different than "never."

rcollier

It is a Wingmaster. A 1974 model as far as I can tell.
I have definitely decided not to chop the barrel and thinking I will do a complete “Refurbish” of what I can. I have already pulled the firing mechanism, it was pretty dirty but some denatured alcohol and scrubbing it looks much better. Sprayed it down with Remington dry lube and it seems to work as it should. The stock is pretty dinged up, going to strip it and the forearm and re-stain/varnish them. I will look into having the receiver and barrel professionally reblued.
Thanks to all who posted, it is much appreciated!!

FITASC

That's all? Because before you wrote, "never use a tubing cutter." So it looks like all I need to do is be sure the barrel is not tapered before using a tubing cutter and to be sure I remove any roll afterward. That's different than "never."

So, again, how do you cut a barrel with rib with your tubing cutter?

Much better results by buying a short barrel.

Mongo_Bongo

I found a vendor on Ebay named ht who cut down a 28" Mossberg barrel to 22" for me and rethreaded for choke tubes. Nice job. I used it for turkeys, could have used it for deer, now just HD. I believe he also does Remington. FWIW YMMV

Bill DeShivs

The reason I said, "Never use a tubing or pipe cutter" is that it's the wrong way to cut a barrel. You can scrape it on a sidewalk to get to the length you need, or cut it with a torch, but those aren't the correct way.

Do it the right way.