Contemplating buying an AR-15

SIGSHR

When I mentioned to a fellow shooter that I didn't own an AR-15 because having handled them I didn't really care for them, he said the reason I should own one is because the government doesn't want you to have it.
So I will start looking. My criteria-pretty much GI, stock, plain vanilla, also will get a 22 conversion unit. Any suggestions ?

smee78

If i were to buy an already made gun I would look good and hard at the Ruger or Palmetto State Armory offerings. They are good guns that are reasonably priced and have a good record for the most part. What type of AR are you looking for? A carbine or rifle length version? Also be sure to get one with a flat top upper, then you can run a red dot/optic or standard carry rear sight.

bfoosh006

" he said the reason I should own one is because the government doesn't want you to have it."

There is some truth in that statement ! Lol !

If Hillary gets elected... you will wish you had gotten one while you could.

If a Liberal Supreme Court Justice is put in place.... you will wish you had gotten one while you could.

With that said... Honestly you would be hard pressed to find a better rifle for so many applications.

I think of the AR as the "small block Chevy" of the rifle world... everyone makes parts, they are inexpensive, and the rifle can do all sorts of things.

I would suggest looking at a S&W M&P... inexpensive and GTG.

Targa

Usually I would not suggest buying something you don't care for but in this case I think a AR platform is a good investment due to reasons previously mentioned, you won't lose money on it. I believe they are only going to rise in price and demand for reasons also already mentioned. I would just add an Aeroprecision AC-15 might make a good choice. One of the forum members( Mrgunsngear) brought the Aeroprecision to my attention and posted this link to Brownell's not long ago http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ac-15-5-56mm-16-mid-length-rifle-prod82606.aspx

rpseraph

I wanted a 223 Coyote rifle... and I was (am) confident that the laws will only get tighter in the coming years... so I built my own. It is nearly complete and will probably total $900, because I went totally custom and wanted certain pieces upgraded, I am very excited about it.

But that said, its an awesome platform that gets a very bad name and has been chosen as a poster child for evil black guns (AKs may have a worse rep) ... Sweet to shoot, lots of fun, versatile, and lots of customization possibilities.

Before choosing to make a custom build... I was going to get to a Smith&Wesson M&P15 Sport II. It has all of the features, reliability, and versatility and it is assembled and backed by a major company with a solid reputation.

Roughedge

I had no interest in a AR until the first Clinton tried to tell me I couldn't have one so now I have five. All in different calibers and configurations

marine6680

What kind of budget?

For lower priced options:

The Aero precision in mid length configuration

A PSA premium build in mid length

S&W Sport II

Ruger 556

The last two are Carbine length, so not what I usually recommend, as I feel mid length is better in a 16" rifle. But they should be good to go.

Rangerrich99

I picked up a Windam Weaponry Carbon before the world went crazy. It's been trouble free, accurate and seemingly well-built.

sksfan22

I'd second taking a look at the Ruger. Getting close to the thousand round mark on my almost year old AR556 and love it! After fondling it and a few other AR's,for the price I went with the Ruger.

Quentin2

For a budget AR I'd look at the M&P15 Sport II, Ruger AR-556 and Colt Expanse. I recently got the Expanse and am pleased with it.

PSA also is a great place to get parts for your own build or a complete rifle. The problem with PSA is finding what you want in stock but if you're patient and watch for sales you can get more rifle for the money than the Sport or Ruger. Knowing how good PSA can be, I still went with the Colt because I've always wanted one and it's likely to hold its value. And I already have a PSA!

Kvon2

I impulse bought my first AR with my tax return and it was actually a great purchase. I bought a Stag m6 and I would highly recommend any Stag products. I am so impressed with this rifle.

Mobuck

"If Hillary gets elected... you will wish you had gotten one while you could.

If a Liberal Supreme Court Justice is put in place.... you will wish you had gotten one while you could."

I was still "in the business"(had a FFL) back in 2008-2010 and bought all the AR(ish) guns and parts I could borrow money for. I made between $750 and $1000 each on many of those during the "shortage" that ensued.
I wasn't an AR guy until 2010 but now I use one for everything except big game hunting.

ms6852

I retired from the military and never ever had a need for an AR15 and frankly did not care for them so I never bought one even when they were getting to ban them back in 1994 Thru 2004 give or take a year. I remember than the basic stuff was selling at enormously marked up prices.

Do not purchase an AR simply "because the government does not want you to have one" it is ludicrous. Buy what your heart desires and save your hard earned money for what you truly want. I remember extending my collection of rim fires such as the CZ 22 magnum with manlicher stock, the Ruger 10/22 with manlicher stock, the Remington 513T match master, and the 52C Winchester, which I purchased before I ever bought my first AR. Buy what you like first and than maybe you will change your mind how you feel about the AR's, I eventually did and purchased one after the ban was lifted and for a lot less money than everyone was trying to sell me theirs for.

If you are going to give in to peer pressure a basic Smith and Wesson M&P will cost you under $700 and they are very reliable.

Tucker 1371

I built my first (and only) AR. I plan on building the rest of them. But if I were going to buy an off the shelf AR it would be a Ruger.

No first hand experience with Ruger's AR, I just have confidence in Ruger's quality control and the importance they place in their reputation amongst gun buyers.

98 220 swift

I bought a new S&W M&P sport II a few weeks ago for $600. So far it has been great and gives me 1 1/2" shot groups at 100 yards with my reloads for a different rifle if I do my part. I already had a AR I bought during the ban 15 years ago and have never really been that much into them. But for the exact reasons that you stated and that they have gotten so cheap. I say go for it. I doubt they will ever be this cheap again. If even available.

I have also done some looking and if you are mech inclined you can build one for around $450-500. (I am now thinking about building another poss in 300 BO)

BigBL87

I don't see buying one for the sake of the government not wanting you to have it necessarily, but I bought one a couple years ago because I was, and still am, concerned about a future ban where I won't be able to get one.

I bought a PSA Classic Lower and PSA Premium M4 upper. Great rifle, and cost me just south of $600. I've since upgraded it in several areas, but even bone stock it was a nice shooter. If I had it to do again I'd ditch the F marked front sight and go with a free float handguard with a flip down front sight. Other than that, though, I'm a huge fan.

When I mentioned to a fellow shooter that I didn't own an AR-15 because having handled them I didn't really care for them, he said the reason I should own one is because the government doesn't want you to have it.
So I will start looking.

The government doesn't want you to have smallpox either. The notion that "the government doesn't want you to have it" is pretty stupid at this point because the government is fully allowing you to have as many as you want. If you don't like AR15s, but want a gun, buy something you will like.

My criteria-pretty much GI, stock, plain vanilla, also will get a 22 conversion unit. Any suggestions ?

Don't spend the money on a conversion. Just by another rifle like a S&W M&P 15-22. It won't cost you that much more than a .22 upper and you really probably don't want to shoot .22 lr through your regular AR15 .223 barrel as there is a lot of hassles with proper cleaning, IMHO.

tobnpr

I was still "in the business"(had a FFL) back in 2008-2010 and bought all the AR(ish) guns and parts I could borrow money for. I made between $750 and $1000 each on many of those during the "shortage" that ensued.

And just think of all the $2500 (er...$500) AR's out there now because of it.

To the OP, yes- get one...buy, or build if you want to get to know the nuts and bolts intimately. Minimal tools required.

What I find most interesting about this thread, and many others like it, is the "defeatist" attitude that sounds already resigned to losing our 2A rights.

Instead of "get them while you can", how about we all get off our azzes- make sure that we- and everyone we know- gets out and VOTES in November!

Any Republican nominee will be far better than the alternative. Staying at home is NOT an option in November!!

doofus47

SIGSHR,
you were right the first time. If the ergs on an AR don't work for you, then you won't do as well with the rifle as maybe with another one. There's nothing wrong with the rifle in and of itself, but at the end of the day, you still have to hold it to use it.

The gov't isn't going to cry if you poke it in the eye by purchasing a particular style of rifle; if you need a semi-auto, magazine-fed rifle that is capable of firing an intermediate cartridge, find one that fits you.

My two bits.

Theohazard

Double Naught Spy said:
SIG SHR said:
So I will start looking.
The government doesn't want you to have smallpox either.
Bravo! Sir, you win the Internet for today.

But seriously, why buy a rifle you don't really want? There are other rifles out there with different ergonomics you might like.