Consistency, How do I get it?

Mozella

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. For example, one post in this thread advocates a firm cheek weld. But old farts like me with blood pressure high enough to run a 10 ton excavator often shoot "free recoil". If I grip my rifle firmly, I see a 1 MOA heartbeat when looking through my scope. But by having minimum contact with my rifle, I can regularly shoot 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups. This depends on a decent rest of course. Anyway, the point is to be aware that there isn't any single path to precision and what works for some folks, doesn't work for others.

In my experience, range safety officers are a pretty good lot for the most part. If you shoot at an organized range, try to go there when it isn't too busy and ask the safety officer to give you some pointers. Chances are he'll offer suggestions to improve your rest, how you hold your rifle, how you position your finger on the trigger, etc. etc. You might be surprised at how much 10 minutes of hands-on help from an experienced shooter can improve your results. He might be willing to give your equipment the once-over to make sure it's in good shape and might even take a shot or two help you achieve your goal. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

And don't forget diet. Lay off the cheap whiskey and buy the good stuff. Drink plenty of it too. It works for me.

Road_Clam

To the o/p it may not have anything to do with the mechanics , it simply could be the ammo you are shooting. Have you tried different brands and weights of bullet ? There's probably not a lot of choices in 25-06 so you might be limited as far as testing for accuracy. I like to be systematic when trying to establish the answer to poor accuracy : "is it me or is it the ammo" ? My best consistency when testing is to use a solid front rifle rest and a rear bag. Shoot off a bench using a front bag introduces the possibility of more rifle movement . Is your rifle a hunting sporter rifle or a heavy barrel target ? If you have a standard sporter contour barrel you could be getting stray shots from excessive barrel heat (especially this time of year). I typically shoot midrange and I've done a great job at removing many of my novice deficiencies. A comfortable rifle hold for YOU is key to consistency. Little things like a shoulder recoil pad, and elbow pads have made a big difference for me. Shooting in total comfort allows you to focus purely on the task at hand which is that bullseye ! Focusing on the basics such as trigger pull near the bottom of your exhale, pull the trigger straight back and follow through on the trigger pull, and focus on the crosshairs only are things that have helped me considerably.

Last edited:

RC20

I have a contrasting approach per Mozella

I shoot consistent groups when the guns consistently tight to the shoulder..

Something that Bart B of recent past brought up and I believe valid.

Not that the other factors are not important but its amazing how much you can shift groups around if you shift your rifle to your body hold around.

do that shot to shot and .........

Big Shrek

Same way archers get consistancy...
doing the same shot, the same way, every time.
Practice dry aiming until you are insanely tired of practicing...

Practice until you can hit a thumbtack from 3 paces.
Once you can do that 10/10, move to 5 paces.
Then 7 paces...then 10 paces.
At that point, you'll be "Good Enough" to resolve many issues ;)