Considering my next purchase

Johnc

Heres the story, I feel the need to add one more handgun to my collection. I already have three revolvers (two S&W J frame .38, one Taurus 605 .357). So I am ok on the revolver side. My semi auto collection includes a Beretta model 87 .22, Browning BDA .380, AMT Backup .380, Glock 23 .40, Springfield XD-45,Taurus PT-145, Witness Tanfoglio .45 Silver Team.

I do not need another carry gun, I do not hunt. I am not into Cowboy guns or C&R guns. I guess I need a "just because gun". That being said, I am looking at my collection and trying to find out what is missing. My thoughts are a 1911 may round out the collection.

Any suggestions?

John

Last edited:

thomas44

Everyone should have a 1911 ! :D I don't know what your budget is, but I've heard good things about the Tauruses. I've got a Para LTC, and I love it ! Very accurate and has never jammed, and was really pretty economical. I think I got it on sale about 2 years ago for $550 brand new.

What's your budget? We could go on and on about which 1911 could be a good choice. But price can certainly limit what is out there.

If you're willing to spend only $400, I'm not going to recommend a Wilson Combat

If you're willing to spend $3000, I'm not going to recommend RIA...

Stevie-Ray

If you're just looking to "round out" your collection, I suggest you don't go the 1911 route. Most can't stop with just one.

If you go 1911, expect to be in it for the long haul.:D

CARGUY2244

buy more ammo for the gun you shoot best and practice more.
you'll be best served by a weapon you've mastered, one that maximizes your chance of survival in a conflict.
you owe it to yourself to become perfect your proficiency with each class of primary weapon (primary rifle, primary shotgun, primary handgun).

THE GENERAL

What ever you get, do not, I repeat do not get a pistol that shoots a 9mm! You need a .45 or a .40cal. 9mm over penitrates and dose not have good stoping power.

LanceOregon

What ever you get, do not, I repeat do not get a pistol that shoots a 9mm! You need a .45 or a .40cal. 9mm over penitrates and dose not have good stoping power.

In reality, real fast lightweight Hollowpoint 9mm loads tend to expand violently to the point of actually fragmenting. They generally have lower penetration, and offer excellent stopping power.

Here is a photo of CorBon's hot 115 gr 9mm Hollowpoint load, with some recovered bullets:

fc937d221.jpg

PH/CIB

Handgun

Sig P210-6, Walther P88, Mauser Luger, HKP7M8, Walther P5 Compact, Browning High Power, all superbly accurate and collectible.