Considering a Marlin XL-7 for a Savage barrel transplant? Read this

Elkins45

I wouldn't consider using one of the Marlin XL-7 or XS-7 rifles for a Savage barrel transplant unless I couldn't find a Savage or there were other circumstances at play. Here's my story:

I bought a new XL-7 in 270 for cheap instead of a Stevens 200 for the same price, mostly because of the accutrigger knockoff on the Marlin. My intention was to mount an Adams and Bennet barrel from Midway and turn it into a 35 Wheelen for (mostly) cast bullets but also maybe elk if I should get drawn for the eastern KY elk lottery. I bought a GO gauge and a barrel wrench and thought I was good to go. I was wrong.

1) The Marlin doesn't have a tab on the recoil lug like a Savage does. You're going to need a jig of some sort if you are going to have any chance at all of getting it realigned correctly when you reinstall it.

2) While the threads are the same on the action, the depth of the bolt faces is different, with the Marlin being deeper. What this means is that the chamber face will contact the bolt face before the shoulder of the GO gauge bottoms out in the chamber. You WILL have a rifle with excessive headspace unless you face off the rear of the barrel or the bolt face a bit. No problem, I thought, since I'll never fire factory ammo in it. I'll just fireform some cases and I'll be OK. To save money I loaded up some 158 grain lead .358 pistol bullets over 5 grains of Unique and went to fireform them. That's when I discovered problem #3.

3) The MIM extractors can't take any sort of stress at all. I got 3 shots during fireforming when the extractor shattered. I got a replacement from Marlin--it lasted 10 shots. Turns out the extractor was holding the too-short brass against the bolt face and the blow of the firing pin was enough to break it. Since I made my 35 Wheelen brass from 30/06 there is no secondary shoulder formed that I can use to hold headspace and the short SWC pistol bullets were no help.

So now I've made my own action wrench/jig with locating pins to make sure the recoil lug is perpendicular to the action and I've set the barrel back as far as it will go. I've also purchased some extractors from Savage and ground them down to fit (the Savage extractor is wider but otherwise same dimensions). I've cast some 200 grain gas checked lead bullets with an RCBS mold and I'm going to carefully experiment with seating them far enough out that they impinge on the lands, thereby holding the case head against the boltface until I can blow out the shoulders to correct headspace.

Moral of this story: this would have been a lot easier if I had just bought a Savage or Stevens action to start with!

natman

An excellent summary of the reality behind the casual comments on the internet that "Marlin XS/XL7s take Savage barrels, no problem".

Well, no, not really.

hooligan1

Thats' good dope man! say that xl7 looks like the Weatherby Vanguard until you see the barrel, then it looks just like the Savage! Thanx for the heads-up!!

Bird Dog

Yeah if you could find an old Remington 700 in great shape maybe. Ah....but not one of the new ones. Savage spanks them in this market.

nsaqam

It is a 5 minute job to face .015" off the breechface of the Savage barrel to make it 100% correct for the Marlin. Any machine shop could do it, as could any local machinist training school.
Doing so would eliminate the extractor breakage issue and make the rifle safe for all SAAMI spec ammo.

It is also a very easy job to ensure that the recoil lug stays in the correct orientation. I prefer a thicker aftermarket recoil lug but with 5 minutes of file work you can have a locating notch in the front of your Marlin action to take any Savage recoil lug.

Being able to utilize the vast amount of Savage prefits available makes dealing with both minor issues very worthwhile IMO.

nsaqam

I will say that I agree that saying a Savage barrel will work in a Marlin action, without modification, is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Elkins45

It is a 5 minute job to face .015" off the breechface of the Savage barrel to make it 100% correct for the Marlin. Any machine shop could do it, as could any local machinist training school.
Doing so would eliminate the extractor breakage issue and make the rifle safe for all SAAMI spec ammo.

If there's a gunsmith with a lathe within a 200 mile radius of me I'm unaware of it.

What kind of machine shop? Like one that works on cars? What should I look for in the yellow pages to find somebody who can do it? If I can find one I would love to have the barrel modified so the gun will be within factory spec.

ndking1126

Apparently I'm behind on my internet research. I must be slacking!

Other than the addition of an accutrigger-like trigger, is there some advantage to the Marlin action over Stevens? I've never heard of doing this.

Bird Dog

I have a Stevens 200 in .30-06 and love it. It (the old Savage 110) is a great base gun to customize from and a great gun in it's own right.

I am sure the Marlin is a good gun, but if you are thinking about a Savage barrel swap, just get a Stevens 200.

You can also barrel swap with the new Savage Edge. Early range returns from my new Edge are very encouraging. And it is a 7-08 with the dreaded 1-11.5 twist. It sure doesn't have any problems with 140 gr core locts. According to http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi it will have no problems stabilizing 150 and 160 grain Partitions and 160 grain A Frames. I am not sure why I would ever need more bullet than these in a 7-08, but when news of this new twist rate hit the street, you'd think Savage had hired Bin Laden as their new CEO!

nsaqam

Elkins, I don't know where you live but if there is a machine shop listed in your phonebook just about any of them should be able to do the job with ease. Better yet if there is a technical college (we used to call them Vo-Techs) which has a machining course.

Ndking, the (arguable) advantages of the Marlin action are the better looks of the Marlin bolt with its conventional cocking piece and bolt shroud, the lack of the ugly bolt release of the Savage, and the aforementioned trigger.

Of course the Savage has a few advantages. Primarily the much wider selection of aftermarket stocks and other parts.

Elkins45

I chose the Marlin for this project because of the trigger. The Stevens is a great value, but the old-style Savage trigger leaves a lot to be desired.

Kawabuggy

This post is very informative, and is just another example of that spirit of ingenuity that made this country so great. Building a rifle yourself in a caliber that is not popular, or sometimes not even available, is only economically possible because of manufacturers like Savage, & Marlin. Yes, it can be done with other makers parts, but once that smith comes into the picture, the cost can rise to a point where the package is just not attractive anymore. Elkins-thanks for the great post!

Edited..

Last edited:

taylorce1

Palmetto-pride, so he should just buy a Rem-junk that is half as accurate, costs 3 times as much,

I think he was suggesting he pick up the Remington because they chamber in .35 Whelen in the 700 CDL.

FrankenMauser

The XL7 my wife bought me for Christmas last year was destined to be rechambered to 8x57mm or .35 Whelen.

However, I did as much research as I could, before I added to rifle to the wishlist.

My final conclusion was:
1. It was a reasonable project, and could be done for about $650 (including the cost of the Marlin).
2. It was cheaper to buy a contoured barrel blank, and have a gunsmith thread, chamber, relieve, and head space it. (Around here, that includes a free "chop" to the desired length, and crown of choice. Competition amongst the smiths. ;))

I made the mistake of shooting the donor.

.30-06 was not my cartridge of choice, but there is no way I can tear this rifle apart now. It shoots too well!
I also chose the Marlin for its trigger, ergonomics, and magazine dimensions. I also think it's a better looking rifle; has better fit and finish; has a better action; and the bolt was in a natural location. (The bolt isn't quite 'right' on the Savage/Stevens rifles.)

Palmetto-Pride

I think he was suggesting he pick up the Remington because they chamber in .35 Whelen in the 700 CDL.

Correct: I thought the OPs main goal was to have a rifle chambered in .35 Whelen and not necessarily his own "custom build" After reading this thread further I now realize that's not the case. Hey I am all for DIY rifle build "what ever floats your boat"

Kawabuggy, have you had a Remington that wouldn't shoot for you personally or are you just repeating BS you've read on the Internet...:eek:

Elkins45

Correct: I thought the OPs main goal was to have a rifle chambered in .35 Whelen and not necessarily his own "custom build" After reading this thread further I now realize that's not the case. Hey I am all for DIY rifle build "what ever floats your boat"

I picked 35 Whelen because it was a good choice for shooting cast bullets, but the main reason I did it was to have a fun little project. Turns out it's more project and less fun.

Wonder how true I can get a breech face with a sharpening stone and a vise? :eek: