Considering a Dillon 550...

HOTSHOT45ACP

Exactly what ed308 said. I figured it couldn't hurt. I never thought the priming bar sticking out so far with no support just didn't look right. I like to call it "preventive maintenance".

ed308

Or a person could just take it apart and clean it more frequently.

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer since I don't own a 550 press at this time. From what I've read, the JW Williams priming plate is longer than the stock plate that come with the 550. This increased length is to keep the priming bar (that slides across the top of the plate) from binding at the edge of the plate due to downward force applied by the spring. The JW Williams plate also has a roller bearing to reduce side friction as the plate moves in and out.

Seems logical to me that it would help. Also keeping the priming area clean would make a difference. Maybe Dillon listens and increased the length of their priming plate where this isn't a problem with newer 550s.

dahermit

On my two 550's I've installed a extended plate with a roller bearing on the side. I wasn't having any problems, it just sounded like a good idea. LOL. They are sold on Amazon and made by J.W. Systems.

I bought that thing but have not yet installed it. What problem do you think it solved?
The mod (longer primer track bearing with ball bearing roller), "solves" the problem of letting it get too dirty before cleaning it.

FTG-05

I've owned and used my RL-550B since 1986, about 33 years or so if I did my math correctly.

I've reloaded 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Mag, .223, 7mm-08, .308, 30-06, .303 British, 7.62x39mm, 45-70 Gov't and probably a couple others I've forgotten about. I have dies for .45 ACP and the 30-30 but haven't started on them yet.

The 9mm and .40 was used in the late 80's and early 90's for IPSC, so a ton of ammo was made with this machine. I broke a few things - it didn't take me but one call to learn to always have something to order when I called for service - otherwise, they'd send the replacement part on their dime! Super good service. +30 years later, I still know the 1-800 number by heart.

They just recently replaced the RL-550B with the 550C model. Buy with confidence!

ed308

Just an update... purchased a 550C and got it setup over the weekend. Really like it compared to the single stage press I sold. I'm using it similar to a single stage press by dropping the powder manually, but leaving the charge case in the press then adding the bullet and crimping the case with each pull. Less pulls on the handle is good. I don't have the time to pull a handle 400 times to create 100 round of precision ammo. Like the priming system too. Did have some spent primers miss the cup. So will figure out a fix for that problem down the road. Plan to use it for 6.5 CM, .224 Valk, 6.5 Grendel with some 30.06, and .308 thrown in occasionally. May even move my 6.8 SPC to it from the 650 at some point. Will likely reserve the 650 for pistol cartridges.

pete2

I've had the 550B for several years, load .38, .45 and 9 MM on it. No way I'd ever go back to single stage for everyday loading my pistol ammo. I don't know if I'd load rifle ammo on it tho. It would really mess up the flow to have to remove the case and clean off the lube and clean/ream the primer pockets, I guess it would still be faster than a single stage. I'm thinking the Dillon measure would throw ball powder, it does a good job for pistol. The only improvement to the 550 would be a 5th station for the powder check.