Considering a Dillon 550...

ed308

I've been using a Hornady Iron press for my 6.5 CM (bolt and AR), .224 Valk, 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel. I'm considering selling it for a Dillon BL550. I don't have the time (or patience) to pull the handle 300-400 times when I could be pulling it once and be done. I'll continue to use my Fx120i with Auto Throw and Auto Tricker to drop the powder and manually pour the powder at the second station.

People seem to love or hate the 550's priming system. Haven't decided if I'll add the priming system to my order or continue to use my hand primer. But the hand primer is hard on my hands. I use a Dillon 650 for other calibers and like the priming system. Dillon seems to think the 550 priming system is the way to go since their new 750 will use the 550's priming system.

What everybody's thoughts about the 550 priming system. Curious whether you like it or not. Let me hear the good and the bad.

jetav8r

I have two RL550's. One for small primers and one for large. The priming system requires an occasional adjustment to the primer feed body to maintain alignment with the shell plate. If you do not over torque the primer housing screws it will work much better. It is not a deal breaker for me. Really like the versatility of the 550.

ed308

Hmm. On a Dillon Reloading FB page, a lot of people were saying they wouldn't consider the new 750 since it has the 550 priming system. But no specific reasons for why they disliked it. One person mentioned you need to keep it clean. But that applies to my 650 priming system IMO.

rodfac

I have two RL550's. One for small primers and one for large. The priming system requires an occasional adjustment to the primer feed body to maintain alignment with the shell plate. If you do not over torque the primer housing screws it will work much better. It is not a deal breaker for me. Really like the versatility of the 550.
My thoughts exactly...I too have a pair of 550B's set up for small and large primers. While I use them almost exclusively for hand gun loading, I did load 5.56mm for CMP competition a dozen years ago, with complete success.

I have had no problems with the priming system on my 550's, but do keep the sliding plate clean and lightly greased, and the tubes clean. Unless you're loading for one of the large volume shooting games, I doubt you can do much better than a 550B or C. Best Regards, Rod

HOTSHOT45ACP

On my two 550's I've installed a extended plate with a roller bearing on the side. I wasn't having any problems, it just sounded like a good idea. LOL. They are sold on Amazon and made by J.W. Systems.

Nick_C_S

I have had a 550BL since June '15 (after 31 years on a single stage) and I am completely satisfied with it.

I prime and powder charge off press. So it follows that "brass prep" and "loading" are two discrete sessions at the press for me. (And two separate tool heads.) At the press, I'm either prepping brass, or I'm loading. Brass gets a wet tumble in SS pins in between. My ammo looks good ;)

So I load progressive different than most; and the 550BL suits my needs just fine. Actually, it has one more station than I ever need.

Hanshi

I've had a Dillon 550 for over 20 years and have reloaded thousands of .38spl and .45acp on it. I like it a lot and it suits my reloading protocol.

ed308

I plan to prep my brass on the press in a separate steps. I'll then do final run dropping the powder off the press then pour, seat the bullet, then a light crimp (if AR) before ejecting. I'll eventually prime on the press as well. When looking for video's on the 550, I found this video which is matches what I was looking to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URusTDqgRJM&t=152s

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Bought a BL 550 a few weeks ago. Very happy with it. I was a little worried about the priming system, but it works great. With the BL 550 you hand place each primer in the cup, but primer seating is very smooth and positive. I put my Redding powder measure on with an adapter. Very solid press, easy to set up.

ed308

I priced both the BL550 and the 550C last night and compared. I decided to go with the 550C since I'm getting the priming system, auto eject and all the other options. I think the difference in price was around $25 more. For the extra $25, I get the powder system. No plans to install it. But will have a spare for use on my 650 or the 550.

GWS

In case you haven't noticed, Dillon dumped the 650 and it's rotary priming system. It's now the new XL750 they sell.....with a very 550-like primer system.:)

ed308

I noticed. In my first first post, I mentioned how I read where people were complaining on a Dillon FB page about the 750 having the 550 priming system. I posted this thread since curious what others thought about the 550's priming system since I was thinking buying a 550.

GWS

Didn't notice that paragraph I guess, sorry.

Years ago, when I was looking for a progressive, the 550 didn't have enough stations for my intentions, and the 650 had a primer system that was lighting up peoples lives......granted most, if not all was user error. But I was under no illusions that I was just as capable of user error as the next inexperienced dummy.

I chose safety and 5 stations. So fast forwarding to the present I still use my 5 station Pro 2000 with its ultra safe APS primer system. Loved it then and still do.

But 5 stations became limiting too. So now I'm in process of perfecting a Pro Chucker 7. Learning to love it too......it's just a simple case of learning a press, its pluses and minuses, and learning to fix or work around the minuses. That describes every progressive built, but the PC7 especially isn't for the impatient.

But really, the same goes with Dillon's presses, just in lesser degrees. Dillon has lots of experience with impatient types and even slow learners. But even Dillon presses each have their issues. Dillon's experience will certainly mean that the 750 will be a safer press for new users learning patience. My brother has a 650 and as yet had no kabooms in the primer system ..... but he's naturally a patient sort.....I wonder if those who experienced the extra light and noise in their reloading rooms might have been a little patience-challenged. ;)

Last edited:

Baldwin

Last fall, I bought a 550C to load 9mm and .45acp. I also bought a 550 quick change kit which includes a toolhead, powder die, and powder measure. So I have a toolhead with dies and powder measure for each caliber I'm loading. I've not loaded much in .45 since I got the press, but I've loaded about 5,000 rounds of 9mm in about 15 loading sessions. I've had no problems with the primer system and it only takes a few minutes to change primer sizes. With 9mm, I set the powder charge weight for 4.6 grains of W231 on the original set up and haven't had to adjust the powder measure since. I check the powder weight pretty often and it's always 4.6. I was leery of that so I checked some weights with my back up scale and it was always 4.6.

Awesome machine.

ed308

Awesome machine.

I like hearing that comment.

Didn't notice that paragraph I guess, sorry.

No worries. Just wanted to clarify why I posted this thread. I've got a 650 and also never had a kaboom. My 650 was the first press I bought. I really wanted the extra station for Dillon's Powder Check system to be safe since I was new to reloading.

greentick

Late to the thread but another happy 550B loader for 25yrs now. I have had to disassemble the priming mechanism a few times when a brass shaving bound things up and the leaf spring? on the mechanism got weak and I replaced it. Any other issues have been PEBRAF (Problem Exists Between Reloader And Floor).

Kevin Rohrer

On my two 550's I've installed a extended plate with a roller bearing on the side. I wasn't having any problems, it just sounded like a good idea. LOL. They are sold on Amazon and made by J.W. Systems.

I bought that thing but have not yet installed it. What problem do you think it solved?

ed308

From what I've read, it keeps the 550's priming system from binding, sticking and reduces stoppages.