Considering a 9mm

In that case, I'll change my answer to recommending the CZ SP-01. If it's primarily for range use, the soft recoil characteristics really makes it shine, and it can be kept in condition 1 like your 1911. And if you're into tinkering, there's a ton of aftermarket parts available for you to experiment with.

Do try to handle one first, though - I also have small hands and love the ergonomics, but everybody's hands are shaped differently. They do make thin aluminum grips which can help tremendously, but I don't think they're nearly as comfortable as the factory rubber grips (which feel like they were molded to my hand).

fire4606

Tucker,

Just an FYI in case you aren't aware of it, but, one of the very common themes among Glock owners is, "I can't believe I shoot my G26 better than my full size glocks, why is that?"

Nobody really seems to be able to explain the why, but it's a common theme. I was a G19 or similar sized gun kinda guy, then picked up a G26 4 yrs ago, it's been my EDC and IDPA gun ever since.

And to expand on what Quentin was saying, I like shooting the G26 with a G19 barrel in it as well, easier to conceal, same ballistics...

image.jpg

Sorry to completely muddle the thread, back to your original post, I'd vote also for a G19, if you shot one and liked it it's a known quantity and a fine pistol to boot

gbclarkson

I recently bought a Bersa BP9cc 9mm and I love it. It is single stack which fits my small (my mom calls them dainty) hands.

Tucker 1371

I think I've narrowed it down to the P-09 and the VP9, or an SP-01 tactical if I can find it for the right price. I've run down both the plastic guns for at or around $500, the SP-01 I can't find for less than $600ish.

I just REALLY need to get my hands on a P-09 before I make a decision, I can't buy a pistol without knowing what it feels like but I don't want to make the call before I've given the P-09 a looking over. Unfortunately nobody carries them in stock locally.

DA/SA Fan

If you're going to Bud's check out a Tisas Zigana M16. I have no experience with it but I do have another Turkish made gun (Tristar) that I really like. Full size bargain gun with 18 round magazines available. Better than a CZ or one of their clones for someone with smaller hands. I've thought about getting one for myself just because I like good quality bargain handguns.

Bentonville

Honestly, VP9. In my opinion, the quality of an HK VP9 equals or surpasses other nines on the market today. HK customer service is second to none.

Kosmo K

All steel preference? Range gun use or carry. Try a S&W 5906TSW. They are still not that hard too find. Its like a Stainless frame 229 srt for 4-$500 less. Trigger reset is the shortest in the business. I have semi's from most of the major company's, None compare to my TSW Guns. Frame and slide are both beefed up and hand matched ( over a stock 5906 ) full length rails, spring loaded guide rod, extra checkering. Lockup is more precise, slightly delayed. Compare one to a stock pistol, the upgrades are easy to see. There are even integral rail models out their. If it's to heavy get an alloy version, 5903TSW

GunLuvr01

If you want a nice shooting 9mm with great ergos, I highly suggest the CZ P07 or the P09. My P09 has been awesome, it is one of the best shooting pistols I have ever fired.

A Glock 19 goes for just under $400 in my AO with the Blue Label program, and since you are .mil, you qualify.

If you enjoy your mom's Glock 19, the buy-in price for the handgun, night sights, and three mags is hard to beat.

Seriously worth considering.

Other than that, you have a hit list of some of the nicest 9mm's out there to try out. Give a P226/P229 a shot, even if you don't like the SP2022. The P229 is like buddah.

Tucker 1371

So after handling a LOT of 9mm's and talking to a very helpful employee at the Buds Gun Shop in Sevierville who just so happened to own both the VP9 and a CZ P-09 and SP-01, I have decided on getting the HK.

With the smallest back straps and side panels installed it fits my hand dang near perfect. Feels almost as right in my hand as, dare I say, a 1911? :eek::D

Now I just have to find it for the right price. Does HK offer anything similar to Glock's Blue Label program? I am also a county corrections officer if that matters.

I haven't really looked into HKs, but you never can tell what department letterhead / a military id will get you if you care to use it. I know that Sig has their Individual Officer program for .mil and LE, and that FN has a similar IOP.

Generally, you have to go through a licensed LE dealer, which you can find lists of off the manufacturer's websites. Also, try a few of the HK forums for more/better info about their programs.