Considering a 9mm

Tucker 1371

I've been seriously considering buying my first 9mm. I've always been a .45 ACP 1911 guy but I recently shot my mom's Glock 19 and was impressed with how controllable it was in rapid strings.

Here's what I'm considering

Lonewolf or other conversion barrel for my G23
S&W MP9 full size
HK VP9
CZ75 SP-01 Tactical

Those are just the ones that have come to mind. If there are any other notable 9mm pistols I am overlooking I would to hear which ones and why they deserve my attention. Please don't just post the name of a gun with no other explanation as to it's merits (ie trigger, cost, weight, controllability). I would prefer it be full size and have a rail.

*Edit to add:

I have very small hands so ergonomics are a huge factor for me. Beretta 92s/M9s are completely out of the question.

Last edited:

joe-lumber

Glock 19 & 26

There are many choices of 9 mm handguns. For carrying purposes I would consider the Glock 19 like your Mother and also the Glock 26 with an extension on the magazine. If you hands are small maybe you would consider the Gen 3's in both. You can find them with night sights which I have changed out from the regular Glock sights. There is a preference for small guns for me that are easier to conceal.

madmo44mag

9mm is a good choice and a cheap round to shoot.
If you are a 1911 guy look at some of the 1911 style 9mm.
I have shot many different makes of 1911 9mm pistols and the one thing I can say they all felt and shot like 1911's just a bit lighter.
If I was considering a 1911 9mm I would be looking at Rugers.
That is one nice gun and I guess I have put more 1911 9mm rounds down range with one than any other 1911 style 9mm.
Sorry not a Glock fan.
They shoot good but not real keen on the grip or the bulged brass from lack of chamber support. (I Reload)

Tucker 1371

Joe-lumber- No thanks on the Glock 26, I hate midget guns and carry a 5" 1911 so I've never seen a need for a tiny gun.

Why do you suggest buying a Glock 19 as opposed to a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23? Reliability issues?

Madmo44mag- I love 1911's, always have and always will. But something about the idea of a 9mm 1911 just feels wrong to me lol. Plus if I'm going to be shooting smaller bullets I would like to have a lot of them (ie a double stack).

SmokinTom

Put a Springfield XD9 it your hands and see what you think. The Grip is more like a 1911. And do they shoot !!!!!

Tucker 1371

I've shot a compact XD9 and wasn't super impressed. Then again I don't particularly like compacts or shoot them well. Glock 19 is about as small as I want to go. I'll have to give the full size XD9 a look.

HALO51

Sphinx SDP Subcompact......The Rolls-Royce of firearms. Swiss designed & engineered. Most unbelievable handgun I've ever fired. Tolerances & build quality is better than anything on the market today. I carry 2 of them professionally & have 5,150 rounds through my carry Compact SDP and 825 rounds through my subcompact SDP (back-up) & have tried to make these malfunction to no avail. These guns are absolutely amazing and will not fail. If you want extreme reliability and match grade accuracy try a Sphinx SDP or the Sphinx SDP Subcompact. I've let 9 different people shoot these weapons and they're amazed with the build quality, accuracy and supremacy of these weapons

Use some 124+P Federal HST and you will have a tremendous carry piece.

Pilot

The CZ SP-01 is a great choice. They are well balanced, accurate, and reliable. If you have small hands, and trigger reach is a problem, start at the half cock notch which is safe in DA mode, or keep it cocked, and locked. Cajun Gun Works also has parts to shorten the trigger reach.

P-990

I'm going to put a vote in for a Generation 4 G-19 if you have small hands. I just picked one up and will say I'm quite pleased so far. It's a good size for shooting and carrying, holds plenty of bullets and is light. Even more noticeable to me is the improved grip texture versus the Gen 3 Glocks. In the limited shooting I've done with it it truly does stay put without squirming in my grip. Plus the extended magazine is easier to manipulate.

Tucker 1371

Sphinx SDP Subcompact......The Rolls-Royce of firearms. Swiss designed & engineered. Most unbelievable handgun I've ever fired. Tolerances & build quality is better than anything on the market today. I carry 2 of them professionally & have 5,150 rounds through my carry Compact SDP and 825 rounds through my subcompact SDP (back-up) & have tried to make these malfunction to no avail. These guns are absolutely amazing and will not fail. If you want extreme reliability and match grade accuracy try a Sphinx SDP or the Sphinx SDP Subcompact. I've let 9 different people shoot these weapons and they're amazed with the build quality, accuracy and supremacy of these weapons

Yeesh! Just looked those up. I'm sure it's nice but $1200?? My budget is about half that.

P990- Again, why the G19 as opposed to a conversion barrel for my G23? Reliability?

Tucker 1371

I suppose I should clarify a tad bit. I'm looking for the best combination of performance for the price. I love the Sig P226 but I believe for that amount of money I can have something equally as reliable and accurate plus a nice set of night sights and a few extra magazines.

Anyone have experience with the HK VP9?

Leaning heavily towards that or the CZ SP-01 at the moment.

6mm

Take a look at the Beretta PX4. Starting shooting and carrying last year. Retired my Glock 19 to the safe. Have been really impressed with the PX4.

MoGas1341

@OP; My Old Lady got an HK P2000 a little bit ago, and I cant say enough good things about it. I am a Glock fan, and she wanted a 19, but after holding the HK, decided to go with that and she does well with it. I'm in the same boat as you, in that I like the 1911 I have but I kinda swayed her towards getting a 9mm. We have a fullsize 9mm but she wanted something she could carry or keep in her truck, and it has turned out to be a gem. I saw the VP9 was on your list, so I felt it was a relevant suggestion! :)

The P2000 is very controllable, accurate, and very reliable and she got (a previously loved) one for $600 w/ 5 HK mags. It may have had 200 rounds or so put through it, and looked brand new. Just a thought.

P-990

Tucker, I believe for ultimate functional reliability a G23 would need a 9mm specific extractor and ejector along with the conversion barrel. Still cheaper than a whole pistol, but why not go all the way?

smee78

Have you looked at a FNS-9? I really like my FNX-45 and am planning on picking up one myself, I do love my G19 but there is always room in the barn for one more.:D

The FNS™-9 offers the simplicity of double-action striker-fired operation with the option of a manual safety. The slide stop lever and magazine release are all fully ambidextrous for ease of operation wtih either hand from any firing position. Both the slide and barrel are stainless steel and the checkered polymer frame has two interchangeable backstraps with lanyard eyelets. A MIL-STD 1913 mounting rail on the underside accepts tactical lights and lasers.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
•Striker-fired autoloader
•Double-action operation with manual safety
•5.5 to 7.7 lbs. trigger pull

SLIDE
•Stainless steel construction
•External extractor with loaded chamber indicator
•Front and rear cocking serrations
•Available in matte black or matte silver

BARREL
•Cold hammer-forged stainless steel
•Polished chamber and feed ramp

FRAME
•Polymer construction with replaceable steel frame/slide rails
•Two interchangeable backstraps with lanyard eyelets
•MIL-STD 1913 accessory mounting rail
•Serrated trigger guard

OPERATING CONTROLS
•Fully-ambidextrous slide stop lever
•Fully-ambidextrous magazine release
•Available with or without an ambidextrous manual safety lever

MAGAZINE
•Polished body
•Low-friction follower
•Polymer base pad

SIGHTS
•Fixed 3-dot or fixed 3-dot night

osbornk

I just bought what I consider the best buy in a 9MM. The S & W SD9VE is an almost exact duplicate of the Glock 19. It is so close that S & W has to pay Glock a royalty for every one they sell. I paid $289.99 for mine a couple of weeks ago and it has a MSRP of $389. I have been very pleased with it and I think it is more attractive with a stainless steel slide and barrel. People who are more familiar with both of them than I say the grip is more comfortable on the S & W because of the angle and it doesn't have those dang finger things.

marine6680

Of your listed choices the M&P9 and SP-01 stick out to me.

The SP-01 is a great shooting pistol, you would be hard pressed to find another 9mm that you could do just a little work on and have a excellent and fast firing pistol... But if you can't shoot a M9... then a CZ sp-01 may be out of the question, but the decocker version might work. I have medium sized hands and can shoot a CZ75 fine, and my fiance can as well.

The CZ P-07 or P-09 may work, as they have adjustable backstraps.

The M&P9 sticks out to me due to the availability of the Apex FSS kit. Which turns the M&P into a very good pistol. The FSS makes for a very crisp quick trigger, that is as close to a 1911 trigger as you can get in a striker fired pistol.

The small backstrap and short trigger reach are good for small handed shooters.