Concealed Carry While ON The Range

Moonglum

As a general rule I only take one handgun to the range and I make it a habit to never holster it empty. I'm also trying to develop that habit in my wife as well.

If nothing else it's a chance to practice reloads

And shot him and left him for dead. He crawled out of the Florida swamp to a hwy and was picked up by a passing motorist.

Im convinced that most people dont have ANY clue how ruthless some criminals are. Just no idea of the cruelty inside of some folks
Yup! It's not about the money or the possessions. If they have a gun waving around while actively robbing people, they have already made the choice to threaten with a deadly weapon. There is no predicting what they will or won't do. This is why often times you see someone intervene and shoot the would-be robber.

There are many cases of that here in Miami. One was a Mazda 626 pulling up to a woman who was walking, one guy leaps out of the car and grabs her purse and with his other hand he shot her in the face and neck and killed her. Got in the car and took off.

They made the choice to point guns at people and demand their possessions.

armoredman

hbhobby said:
Lethal force is only justified if you fear for your life.

Arizona Revised Statutes said:
13-405. Justification; use of deadly physical force
A. A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:
1. If such person would be justified in threatening or using physical force against the other under section 13-404, and
2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.
B. A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using deadly physical force pursuant to this section if the person is in a place where the person may legally be and is not engaged in an unlawful act.
13-404. Justification; self-defense
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a person is justified in threatening or using physical force against another when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force.
B. The threat or use of physical force against another is not justified:
1. In response to verbal provocation alone; or
2. To resist an arrest that the person knows or should know is being made by a peace officer or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, whether the arrest is lawful or unlawful, unless the physical force used by the peace officer exceeds that allowed by law; or
3. If the person provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force, unless:
(a) The person withdraws from the encounter or clearly communicates to the other his intent to do so reasonably believing he cannot safely withdraw from the encounter; and
(b) The other nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful physical force against the person.

13-406. Justification; defense of a third person
A person is justified in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another to protect a third person if, under the circumstances as a reasonable person would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable person would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect.

13-408. Justification; use of physical force in defense of property
A person is justified in using physical force against another when and to the extent that a reasonable person would believe it necessary to prevent what a reasonable person would believe is an attempt or commission by the other person of theft or criminal damage involving tangible movable property under his possession or control, but such person may use deadly physical force under these circumstances as provided in sections 13-405, 13-406 and 13-411.
13-411. Justification; use of force in crime prevention; applicability
A. A person is justified in threatening or using both physical force and deadly physical force against another if and to the extent the person reasonably believes that physical force or deadly physical force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's commission of arson of an occupied structure under section 13-1704, burglary in the second or first degree under section 13-1507 or 13-1508, kidnapping under section 13-1304, manslaughter under section 13-1103, second or first degree murder under section 13-1104 or 13-1105, sexual conduct with a minor under section 13-1405, sexual assault under section 13-1406, child molestation under section 13-1410, armed robbery under section 13-1904 or aggravated assault under section 13-1204, subsection A, paragraphs 1 and 2.
B. There is no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force justified by subsection A of this section.
C. A person is presumed to be acting reasonably for the purposes of this section if the person is acting to prevent what the person reasonably believes is the imminent or actual commission of any of the offenses listed in subsection A of this section.
D. This section includes the use or threatened use of physical force or deadly physical force in a person's home, residence, place of business, land the person owns or leases, conveyance of any kind, or any other place in this state where a person has a right to be.
Just to clarify for you. The law is a WHOLE lot more complicated than what you posted. That is all available at azleg.gov.
Please, continue on.

Kevin Rohrer

The outdoor range I belong to has that same, ridiculous rules, probably because its elderly president is anti-handgun. No guns in holsters, no drawing from a holster, etc. I ignore it and do both when I am alone.

silverstang23

We have a range close by that has the same stupid rule. I chose to ignore the rule and CC. If they ask me to leave, I will. It's private property and they have the right to make their own rules. In Georgia, it's not really a legal issue as long as you leave when asked.

SCDeac82

Someone commented earlier:

"For what? Criminals are not going to attack anywhere there might be armed people."

Ever hear of a guy named Chris Kyle? God rest his soul.

JB

MarkDozier

"Ever hear of a guy named Chris Kyle? God rest his soul."
Two man died that day. Why do you dishonor the other him by ignoring his name?

Targa

Very true. Just because he, Chad Littlefield, wasn't as well known certainly doesn't make his loss any less significant. I am guilty of forgetting that as well, I had to google the shooting to find Chad's name as the victim. I digress, IMO ranges our a prime target for trash like the one that killed Chris and Chad to strike. A bunch of people that you don't know armed and shooting right next to you. Kind of like camping in the woods next to others in a fabric tent without having a clue as to what kind of people they are and what they are capable of.
I like having a sidearm available for both situations and if I were asked to leave because of it, well I will leave.

Last edited:

TailGator

Routh, who confessed to killing Kyle and Littlefield, and was found guilty and is serving a life sentence, was a mentally ill veteran whom Kyle and Littlefield were trying to help. Reports are that both Kyle and Littlefield were armed with 1911s at the time they were killed, but neither drew or disengaged the safety. They had exchanged messages indicating that they were on their guard against Routh, but he apparently chose his moment successfully against very highly trained people. Sometimes you can do everything right and still get a bad result.

Limnophile

Stay safe and follow ALL posted signs included stop signs. Respect OTHER peoples rights not just the ones you think apply to you.

If a public accomodation has no right to free association, can it morally have a right to ban those who practice their natural right to possess and carry? On private property that does not cater to the public, one can discriminate as one wishes in regard with whom you want to associate with, but I can't see a moral framework that justifies selective discrimination and selective enforcement of civil rights in a public accomodation.

hartcreek

I went to a new range last night. Many of you know that I am in central Washington. Just inside the door were the signs encouraging CCW while at this indoor range. The safety video and safety waver sheet clearly outlined how to notify a range officer so you could use your CCW at the range which they considered to be hot once you were wearing eye and ear pro and went through the doors of the noise isolation entry.