concealed carry w/ manual of arms most similar to the M9?

Webleymkv

While not in 9mm, the Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/S all have the same manual of arms as a Beretta M9 (mag release and safety work the same way and are in approximately the same position).

Jim243

Based on your likes I would suggest the PX4 Storm (full size 4 inch). 9mm and thin enough for CCW.

Jim

IMG_1221.jpg

anonimoose

Shooters,

Goodness, thanks for all the replies. Truly a wealth of knowledge on here -- I appreciate it.

Based on what everyone has said, I've narrowed it down to the SW 3913, SW 6906, SW 5903, Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact and the Beretta PX4 Compact. The combination of 1. the location/direction of the slide-mounted safety/decocker and the 2. DA/SA trigger on all of the above seem to best match the M9 that I qualified/trained with.

For what it's worth, here's what I could gather with regard to specifications -- the specs on the Beretta came straight from the horse's mouth, but the info for the SW 3rd gens was gathered from various (sometimes conflicting) sources on the internet.

Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact

Unloaded Weight: 26.1oz
Overall Length: 6.2"
Barrel Length: 3.0"
Height: 4.8"
Overall Width: 1.4"
Grip Thickness: 1.2"
Magazine Capacity: 13

Beretta PX4 Compact

Unloaded Weight: 27.3oz
Overall Length: 6.8"
Barrel Length: 3.2"
Height: 5.0"
Overall Width: 1.4"
Grip Thickness: 1.2"
Magazine Capacity: 15

S&W 3913

Unloaded Weight: 24.69oz
Overall Length: 6.73"
Barrel Length: 3.5"
Height: 5.0"
Overall Width:
Grip Thickness: 1.06"
Magazine Capacity: 8

S&W 6906

Unloaded Weight: 26.5 oz
Overall Length: 6.875"
Barrel Length: 3.5"
Height:
Overall Width:
Grip Thickness: 1.26"
Magazine Capacity: 12

S&W 5903

Unloaded Weight: 28.53 oz
Overall Length: 7.48"
Barrel Length: 4.02"
Height:
Overall Width:
Grip Thickness:
Magazine Capacity: 10

Thanks again all. I feel prepared to move forward with my purchase.

respectfully,
Moose, USMC

P.S. To answer jimbob86:

If it were me, I'd get a 1911 in 9mm. Why bother with the DA/SA trigger if you are going C&L anyway?

We were trained on the firing line to rack the slide to put a round in the chamber, but then we put the weapon back on safe and re-holstered the weapon, which (with the M9) decocked the hammer. Hence, when the targets presented themselves and we drew the weapon/flipped the safety off, the first shot still required the heavy double action pull. I'm used to that heavy DA shot followed by lighter SA shots.

AustinTX

Don't pay much attention to specs you read online. Beretta says the PX4's width is 1.4", but that's measured across the safety levers. The slide itself is considerably thinner than that. Manufacturers also measure length differently. Some measure just the length along the slide, ignoring the bottom of the grip that protrudes further back (Glock), while others' measurements include the grip.

My advice is to make sure to handle all of your candidates in person and not eliminate anything based on the specs you read.