concealed carry w/ manual of arms most similar to the M9?

anonimoose

concealed carry most similar to the M9?

Howdy folks,

Posted way back in 2008 when I was just starting active duty -- took the advice on the forum and got myself a Beretta 92 at home to match the M9 I qualified with/use at work. Thanks for the advice then.

Seeking more advice now. On my way to my new duty station in AZ, and given its proximity to the border and the recent shooting in Tucson, am considering concealed carry in 9mm*. I know there are many excellent choices out there, but I would like the manual of arms to be as close as possible to the M9 I already know and am most familiar with** -- DA/SA trigger, manual safety/decocker on the slide (doesn't have to be ambi), etc. This rules out the Sig 239, Glock 19, etc.

Am leaning heavily towards the SW 3913 or 6906, but just wanted to see if there were any other options out there.

respectfully,
Moose, USMC

*I think it's better to buy boxes and boxes of 9mm and extensively train with both my Beretta 92 and my concealed carry pistol rather than logistically/financially support two different calibers

**I was trained to keep the pistol holstered in condition one and then to flip the safety off after drawing it -- I would like to take advantage of that muscle memory. I strongly believe that this kind of consistency leads to familiarity/habit, which ultimately leads to calm, steady shot placement in high stress situations.

Last edited:

scottl

Beretta made the 92 in compact and carry models.You could probably browse Gunbroker and find one.

xMINORxTHREATx

+1 for the 92 Compact. Kinda hard to find, but they are out there.

You might also consider the Cheetah 84FS. Very similar to a 92, but smaller, lighter but its chambered in .380 (close enough to 9mm, right?)

Or the PX4 Storm Compact. 15 round 9mm, polymer lower, the controls are all very very similar to a 92. They also make a sub-compact model, which is really really small, but still has the same controls, but only carries 13 rounds.

anonimoose

Howdy folks,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Using the Beretta 92 itself as a concealed carry or using the Beretta 92 in compact/carry are all intriguing ideas, but given that I'm not a big man, those options seems too large for my frame.

I apologize if I came across as too Beretta-focused -- my concealed carry pistol doesn't need to be IDENTICAL to the M9; I'm focused more on the DA/SA trigger and the safety/decocker on the slide. I know it may seem strange to focus on these characteristics, but I've shot my friend's 1911 a few times and the differences between that and the M9 were jarring. Not like, driving stick vs. driving automatic, but like driving with the gear shift on the steering column vs. between the front seats. It makes enough of a distinction that in high stress situations I can imagine fumbling around for a little bit, and I'd rather not switch back and forth between my work gun and my carry gun.

So, still leaning heavily towards the SW 3913 or 6906. But the Beretta Px4 Storm in Compact or Subcompact -- will look into them. Thanks.

respectfully,
Moose, USMC

LordTio3

Just for a different suggestion, I wouldn't discount the options from CZ.

The CZ-75b is one heck of a gun; and is quite similar in function to the Beretta 92 models.
cz-75-black_finish_350.jpg

They also offer the CZ 75 SP-01 for a more tactical model.
750px-CZ_75_SP-01.jpg

They also make the 2075 Rami in 9mm for a sub compact option for a BUG.
CZ2075.jpg

Just some more options for you. The CZ's are fantastic pistols.

Also, the Smith and Wesson M&P series are another great polymer design for "something different".
S&W%20MP9.jpg

Also, somewhere between the S&W 5906 and the 3913 is the 6906 or the 6904 with the same battery of arms. They don't make them any more, which is tragic. But they are incredible guns that I'd readily trust my life to.

350px-S%26W6906.jpg

Hope this helps.

~LT

xMINORxTHREATx

The trigger on the M&P is a lot different from the M9 I used when I was in.
Don't get my wrong, I absolutely LOVE my M&P, but if your wanting the same trigger feel as an M9, I wouldn't suggest it.

Never thought about the CZ. Don't really like em so they didn't cross my mind. haha

LordTio3

One of these things is not like the others...

I appologize for the brain fart. I misread part of the OP. Taking into account the original perameters, I would also discount the M&P. But as far as the CZ's are concerned, I always tell people, "Don't you dare make up your mind until you shoot one and then look at the price tag." Literally one of the most under-appreciated and high-value guns on the market.

You can get a brand new one of almost any of these models from $400-450. Spend the rest on ammo and be happy a pistol that feels/functions great and will never treat you badly.

~LT

scottl

but given that I'm not a big man, those options seems too large for my frame.
If you wanted to stay with same controls,trigger,etc because of what your used to,muscle memory and such look for a Beretta 92 Type M.It's a carry gun with slimmer profile and single stack magazines.

jimbob86

You wanted.....

a CCW gun in 9mm..... DA/SA capable of carrying C&L .....

CZ 75 ...... the smallest being the RAMI.

If it were me, I'd get a 1911 in 9mm. Why bother with the DA/SA trigger if you are going C&L anyway?

oldandslow

anon, 1/1/11

You have trained on a great pistol (the Beretta) and others have suggested a wide range of great pistols. I have a number of carry pistols (Sigs, SW 3rd generations, CZ's, Springers, Berettas and Glocks) and usually find myself going back to the SW 3rd generations. I have a 6906 and 6904 and 3914 (as well as the 5906 and .45 models) and I think your original thoughts of going with the 6906 or 3913/14 pistols is probably the way to go. Which one you get depends on how large your hands are- the 3914 is a bit small for my size 8 hands, even with the Hogue rubber grips. The 6906/04 is a perfect fit in my hand and holds 12+1 of 9mm as opposed to the 8+1 with the 3913/14.

Summary- handle as many of the above poster's pistols as well as the SW's and pick what feels best in your hands. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

best wishes- oldandslow

khoalie

i carry a bersa thunder 380, has da/sa trigger like the 92 and safety/decocker like the 92 (up for fire, down for safe/decock). mag release in the same place too

edit: wow 1st post!

Cemo

I have a 3913NL. I find the 3913 to be great for CCW and great on the range. It is thin and compact. Nine rounds of HP 9mm should be enough to end any self-defense engagement where I live, but I do carry a spare mag. The 6906 adds a few more rounds without too much bulk. Both can still be found in new or like new condition at reasonable prices.
I have a beautiful Beretta 92 Compact and love the gun. But I find it too bulky for my favorite CCW method, which is IWB.

chilie23

I have to echo the sentiments earlier about the PX4sc

Seemingly perfect for what you are asking and was first to pop to mind :)

kenn

Beretta

Keeping this post short as I should be working...

First off anonimoose, thank you for your service to this nation.

I agree with some of the others and would look into a PX4 compact if you like the M9. Do you have Academy sports in AZ? They have great deals on them there.

BigMike

6906 or 92Compact. Subjective: I would give the overall carry "edge" to the 6906 for size, weight, balance, etc. No bad choice...