Concealed Carry Shirts

Walklightly

I don't know why this is such an issue, just buy a shirt one size bigger.:rolleyes:

I actually buy from Big and Tall, and got tall in one size bigger in tall.:cool:

ClydeFrog

Banana Republic...

Noted gun writer & use of force training expert Massad Ayoob used to write about having a Banana Republic OD safari vest. This was in the 1980s/1990s.
:)
Concealment vests & garments are more common in 2011 but I'd lean more towards the old school leather & polymer gear for sidearms.
As Clint Smith says; "handguns are comforting, not comfortable".

ClydeFrog

BlueTrain

I don't have one but I thought those Mexican style casual dress shirts were a little on the thin side, going on see-through, but otherwise okay, I guess, but really too dressy to be casual by my standards. And anyway, I grew up among people who insisted you have a short haircut and kept your shirt tucked in. A conservative crowd, you know.

I happen to favor Ben Davis style short sleeve work shirts that have a square bottom. They are too short to tuck in the tail (there not really being any) and probably too short to conceal a pancake style holster. Access to the gun is a problem, too, unless you favor the teenage style of wearing unbuttoned shirts, too.

johnbt

"don't understand why people spend money on stuff like that when it's not needed."

Just because you don't understand why it's needed doesn't mean it's not needed.

tipoc

I don't have one but I thought those Mexican style casual dress shirts were a little on the thin side, going on see-through, but otherwise okay, I guess, but really too dressy to be casual by my standards. And anyway, I grew up among people who insisted you have a short haircut and kept your shirt tucked in. A conservative crowd, you know.

Guayaberas come in a variety of styles and materials. Cotton, polyester, blends, linen, silk, etc. The same materials that shirts in general are made of. They go from casual to dressy. They are particularly useful in warmer weather. They also look better than a stained T-shirt. They are meant to be worn un-tucked. Sold in many stores and on line.

Work shirts...Carhart, Dickies, Ben Davis and others all make a a square bottom button up the front two pocket shirt meant to be worn un-tucked. Keep 'em clean and they look better than a worn t-shirt for casual wear. They should be worn loose. You can buy them anywhere.

"Charlie Sheen" shirts. These type shirts have been around a long time but were popularized on the "two and a half men" TV show by sheen. A combo of the old Bowling shirt, the Hawaiian shirt and the Guayabera. Made in a variety of materials, colors and styles. Loose fitting and un-tucked. You can buy them at any Macy's, Sears, etc. and on line.

You can get these style of shirts and others at most stores and cheaper than these prices. But here are some examples...

http://www.cubavera.com/Casual-Shirts/cuhcasualshirts,default,sc.html

Here as well...http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/charlie sheen shirts?_dmd=1&_cpr=249

Loose fitting shirts that are meant to be worn un-tucked can make very good concealment wear over a holster. You can buy a 100. pair of jeans or a $30. dollar pair same as these shirts. There is nothing unusual about them. They do not draw attention to the gun. They are a staple of the American wardrobe.

tipoc

BarryLee

While I recommended 5.11 earlier I really think we may be over thinking this. I suspect the best thing to do is head to the mall and simply spend a little time shopping for appropriate shirts. Also, don’t forget places like Sears and Wal-Mart which carry a lot of good quality work clothes.

Viper225

Well my order came in on the Woolrich shirts. They are the Elite 4 Pocket Descrete Carry shirts. This is a Guyabera shirt with a tame print. It has 2 normal shirt pockets, and two low on the front. The bottom button is false, and has a magnet for easy break free access to your gun. The square shirt tail is plenty long enough to conceal my 310 Night Guard. It goes past the muzzle a good 2 inches. I ordered them from Bo Tech Tactical. Do a search for "Woolrich Elite 4 pocket shirt", and you will find them listed. This shirt is on a close out for around $18 each. I got 4 on the firts order, and an Elite Tactical Barn Jacket for around $30 also on Closeout. I ordered 1 additional shirt, and a second Barn Jacket for my brother for Christmas after looking over the first order. The Barn Jacket is long enough to conceal an Uzi covert carry under arm rig. The Barn Jacket has 3 Nylon Magazine loops in each front 8" X 8" patch pocket. Another 2 on the inside as well as 2 more in magazine pockets on each side. If you put pistol magazines in each magazine holder you would have a total of 14. I am sure the plan was not for the user to carry 14 magazines, but rather to give lots of options on where you carry your magazines. The 2 upper inside back pockets with the dual magazine loops are the correct size for a J Frame pocket holster. Left or Right hand carry. Nice handwarmer pockets on the front. All added up you have a total of 12 pockets. The smallest of which will hold 2 double stack pistol magazines.
Comes in Charcoal, Brown, and Moss. I wear a 2X shirt, and ordered the jacket in 2X. It has enough extra room for a Carhart heavy zip up sweat shirt under it for colder weather wear.
We had a pistol match Saturday. I was shooting my S&W 610 10mm revolver. The Board Member who normally brings the leaf blower, forgot it. I decided to not drop my empty moon clips on the ground and risk losing them. I loaded up 9 moon clips in my right patch pocket, and droped the emptys in my left pocket on each reload. It cost me a little time, but not much. All I needed to do was tuck the pocket flaps on the inside of the pockets to just reach in. I really like this jacket so far. It is made in China, so I will need to keep an eye on the buttons, and stitching. I probably should just cut the buttons off, and resew them on with some real thread to start with.

Barry you are right, a person can find lots of garments that will work at normal stores, you just have to look for them.

Bob