Compressed loads

Gewehr98

Drop-tube, and vibrate?

Wouldn't that negate the effects of drop-tubing the charge?

I'll give it a shot. The force I have to exert on the powder compression die will be my benchmark. ;)

snuffy

Have any of you seen those little vibratory back massager's? Battery operated, worthless for back massages, but work real well for a little vibration on a case full of powder. it'll settle the powder in the case so it takes up less space.

I have better luck with a long drop tube. Especially using it by slowly pouring it onto the side of the funnel. The powder swirls around the funnel, lining itself up to fit tighter into the same space. Vibrating at that point seems to fluff it up more, at least that's how it works for me, YMMV.

Gewehr98

That's what I was thinking, too.

I have a 24" brass Montana Precision Swaging drop tube assembly, and were I to vibrate the powder in the brass after I dropped it into the case, I'd have to assume it would vibrate out of its compacted configuration vs. settling even more. As it stands now, I already get a much more compact powder column using a drop tube vs. just pouring it in - not just the .45-70 BPCR rounds, but also my 6.5-06 using H4831SC.

But I'm willing to give it a shot.