Compressed loads

indy245

I have just started reloading. I have worked my way up in .44 magnum and a * on the higher grain (powder) loads denoted compressed powder loads.
Has anyone had any issues with this?

castnblast

what powder & bullet are you using that creates a compressed load? I've been off revolvers for a while, but I can't recall a load that was compressed...Not saying it ain't so though...Now you got me curious...:confused:

indy245

I believe it was on 300+ Grain bullets, but I will have to consult my reloading books for the rest of the load info.

Last edited:

Tanzer

You might want some more experience before compressing powder loads. The pressure curve changes dramatically. Don't you have a powder available that doesn't require this?

Scorch

My first reaction would be "find a powder that does not require compressed loads". There are many, many options for magnum pistol powders.

castnblast

that was my thoughts...if it's compressed, you probably won't like the results...too slow, lots of fire. You really want a faster burning powder so you utilize the powder instead of shooting balls of fire...

T. O'Heir

Don't worry about it. Compressed loads are completely safe. IMR4227 with a 205, 225, 240 and 250 grain bullet has compressed loads. IMR4227 is the accuracy load powder for most bullet weights in my manual. 2400 with a 180 grain cast, et al does too. It's no big deal.

amamnn

I've run loads up to slight compression in the .44 mag and .357 mag using different powders, most recently Hodgon's Lil Gun. I've seen no hint of a disaster. I've also seen no real benefit. Friends shooting near me at the time remarked upon the muzzle flash which lead me to believe too much powder was being wasted in those loads, so I would have backed off for that reason alone, but the recoil was pretty noticeable even with gloves.

Both revolvers are ported and pretty heavy, a 686 distinguished combat and a 629 performance center built gun, but still I don't get the best accuracy with max or near max loads in them.

snuffy

You might want some more experience before compressing powder loads. The pressure curve changes dramatically. Don't you have a powder available that doesn't require this?

Area in bold is UNTRUE. Compressed loads do not spike to a higher pressure as soon as you reach a load level that's compressed. The pressure level will increase as you add powder,(DUH), but it won't jump to a higher level as soon as you reach a compressed load.

Now, flake, and extruded powders compress quite easily. Ball powder does NOT compress as easily or as much. You do have to be careful to not compress the powder too much. Over compressing may result in the bullet being forced out of the neck by spring back of the powder. Also the powder can bulge the case if it's compressed too much.

Tanzer

Area in bold is UNTRUE. Compressed loads do not spike to a higher pressure as soon as you reach a load level that's compressed. The pressure level will increase as you add powder,(DUH), but it won't jump to a higher level as soon as you reach a compressed load.
Lyman 48th edition (just what's next to me). Page 322 (regarding 9mm or any handgun load). Last paragraph. P41 (regarding seating) 4th paragraph.
Do what you want indy, but please let the guy in the next stall know if you're shooting compressed charges as a novice reloader.

Last edited:
Compressing a load certainly will change the pressure profile.

But not necessarily in a bad or dangerous way.

I've not fired many compressed handgun loads, but I have fired hundreds, if not thousands, of compressed loads in several of my rifles, primarily my .300 Savages.

As for muzzle flash, the main component of most muzzle flash, what people think is powder burning in the air, is actually gasses that have been heated to incandesence.

Yes, there's probably some powder still burning in that mix.

But there's a lot more completely unburned powder that's simply ejected from the gun.

indy245

For what it's worth....
The Nosler 5th Edition book is the reference in my OP. The load is 20.5 gr. H110, 300 gr bullet, Win. WLP primer.
My other manuals do not show compressed loads but of course they recommend 19 gr of H110 and a different primer.
I'm going to give the 20.5 grain load a try - My concerns are the overall length and deformation of the case caused by the compressed powder.
I have been working my way up on loads and have seen no signs of excessive pressure, I would however like to approach the maximum load for the 300 grain bullets. Thank-you for the input.

Gewehr98

Compressed loads in and of themselves are not a problem.

Improperly-assembled compressed loads are the safety risk, as are any improperly-assembled handloads.

Now, for the uninitiated, the popular Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo is a seriously compressed load that uses a hydraulic ram to really put the squeeze on the powder column. Dangerous? You tell me.

Some powders have a higher load density, and fill a given cartridge case more than others. So you may indeed see a round run out of case capacity before SAAMI pressure limits are reached. Obviously, a compressed charge there is no big deal. My own 6.5-06 runs a compressed load of H4831SC, again, no big deal.

So, let's back off the fear-mongering, and mark the difference between bullet setback (a real problem for spiking chamber pressures) and the compressed loads that have been in reloading manuals and factory ammo since Christ was a corporal.

snuffy

So, let's back off the fear-mongering, and mark the difference between bullet setback (a real problem for spiking chamber pressures) and the compressed loads that have been in reloading manuals and factory ammo since Christ was a corporal.

Some of the most consistent loads ,(for rifle), are compressed loads. In that I mean consistent in the extreme spreads as recorded on a chronograph. Here's one thing a chrono will help a reloader with. It will remove any fears associated with using compressed loads. As you reach 100% load density, then go over that to a compressed load,(while in working up a load to maximum). While watching the velocity increase in a linear manner,(each additional grain or partial grain increases the velocity the same ammount), you can see the velocity does not JUMP, which it would, if the pressure suddenly increases.

The new short magnums are loaded, almost exclusively with compressed loads. I know, I own a 300 WSM. That's, of course IF you load to maximum. They also run at higher pressure than most standard calibers. Very light-for-caliber bullets may run at only 95% load density. Some of the ultra mags also routinely run compressed loads,(so I've heard).

gewehr98 makes a good point. You don't have to worry about bullet set-back if you're running a compressed load. In addition, the added benefit of more consistent ignition with corresponding consistent velocities, may result in better accuracy.

kingudaroad

I've got a Hornady manual here at work and it has a max load with H110 and a 300 gr xtp at 20.1 gr and it is not designated a compressed load. That tells me that if the load is compressed with 20.5 gr, it is only very slightly compressed.

Also since the info is out of a reputable manual and is close to what other manuals say is safe, I personally would have no problem with that load. Just make sure to start with a lighter charge per your manual and work up to your max load to be on the safe side.

That sounds like one mac-daddy 44 mag round.:)

Trapper L

I have found that loading density of 80% or better almost always produces an opportunity for a more reliable and accurate load regardless of temperature or positon of the gun. A slightly compressed load is ideal and I generally will seek these loads out. Here's an article regarding loading density:
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/loadens.htm

Bullet seating is another issue. Never seat any pistol bullet shorter than the loading data by the manufacturer with that specific powder at max loading. A rise or spike in pressure is all but guaranteed. You can seat longer but unless you are experienced enough to know that the powder charge must be reduced and by how much, never seat shorter. Even a middle of the road load can be dangerous if the pistol bullet is seated too short/deep.

Walkalong

Using a long drop tube can substantially lower where a charge fills to in a case and can help reduce "compressed" loads if they make you uncomfortable. Slightly compressed loads are used all the time with no problems. I agree with Snuffy on this one. Much ado about nothing.

WESHOOT2

everyone is right

Except me; I have short-seated bullets for certain specific reasons (insanity?).

I learned to compress certain charges in autoloader chamberings to ensure zero none nada chance of bullet setback.

I learned to seat the bullet in steps when REALLY compressing a charge.

I learned that when approaching serious MAXIMUM! (unlike "Oooh, I went to the top charge weight listed in my manual" sissiness) that the ONLY approach I could take at home was chrono-mapping.

I learned that my big guns were all tougher than my elbow.

:cool:

Gewehr98

Weshoot, I know how you feel.

My big BP cartridge loads with 550gr bullets require a powder compression die. If I try to compress the Goex Cartridge BP during bullet seating, I deform the nose on the soft 20-1 cast bullet. That's after I've already used a drop tube to put the 70gr of charcoal in the case. :D