• Heavier

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • Lighter

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • About the same weight

Votes: 17 11.9%

• Total voters

riggins_83

Compare your first concealed carry handgun to your current concealed carry handgun (was your original a smaller or larger caliber than your current, heavier or lighter than your current, etc).

Last edited:

KMAX

I started with a Browning Hi Power. I only carried it occasionally. Now I carry a Ruger LCP constantly. The size and weight of the LCP makes it easy enough to carry all the time whereas the Hi Power would be easy to leave at home because it wasn't nearly as light and compact. Granted, if it came to a fight I would rather have the Hi Power, but it is not much good if I "left it at home". On the rare occasions that I go to a "riskier" area I often take a larger gun with higher capacity. By riskier area I mean riskier by my perception. I know risks are everywhere. That is why I want something I will always carry.

nocturnal

My first "carry" gun was a Smith and Wesson Model 36 that was found in my grandparent's house when they passed.

The gun has a lot of sentimentality so I carried it for a while then wanted something less special and irreplaceable. So I did my research and bought a LNIB Browning Hi Power Mk III, it has since gained some carry wear

Now, that was my first official "handgun purchase"
I love my BHP, I just need to cough up the money to get a "BHP" holster and to not use a tightened 1911 holster...it would probably make for better carrying

My second "handgun purchase" was a Smith and Wesson Model 19-4...like new condition and 6 inch barrel...definitely not an easy to carry piece!

So my carry gun has grown from a 1 7/8 inch, 5-round .38spl Model 36 to a 4 5/8 inch, 13+1-round 9mm BHP

I still want to acquire a 1911 for carry...

but I do still love to carry my j-frame! It's easy to toss in the pockets

smokemup

I never carried anything concealed that was large, and lately I've switched to the lightest, thinnest I could find, which is a TCP and a DB9. My favorite pocket shooter is the XR9-S, but I also like the P238. So many choices out there, so little money!

KyJim

The first pistol I ever carried concealed was a Beretta 950 .25 acp. Nowhere to go from there except up, except in capacity.

tomrkba

I am still using a SIG P220. The only difference now is that I have additional guns of varying sizes and calibers for different roles.

dstryr

Same Gun
Carry an FNP40, would like to handle a Tanfoglio Witness compact in 40S&W to see if it is a good carry candidate. Also would like to find
a smaller pistol to pocket carry.

Shadi Khalil

My first was a Taurus 617 (7 shot 357) that ended up crapping out on me. Right now I'm carrying my Sig P239 while I wait for S&W to send the replacement 638 for my 637.

savit260

Started with an old Charter Arms 38 Special. Then a Pre Model 12 S&W snub. Next step up was a 4" Model 19, Colt Army Special/and Python.

Most of the time now it's either a Custom 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk or a 5 1/2" Colt 1917.

I don't find any of these difficult to carry with a quality belt and holster being the key.

Bob Wright

This was my first carry rig, a Smith 442 in a Galco rig. The holster engulfed the whole gun except for the grips:

I became a litle distrustful of the .38 Specials I loaded into this little gun, a 110 gr. JHP, especially when heavy clothing might be involved. So finally worked up to this, which I've carried daily for the past three years:

It a .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk three-screw, converted from a .357 Magnum. Much more confident with it.

Bob Wright

Last edited:
The first one was a 5.5" Colt SAA in .357 Magnum. It was the only handgun I owned at the time. Next a Russian Makarov, it has served for several years. I also have a King Cobra that I carried occasionally.

My current CCW is a KelTec PF9, I went with it because it's small and light. So the trend seems to be smaller and lighter as I get older.

btmj

Started with a Glock 19. I found that summertime carry was too challenging for me...

I now cary the Glock from mid October to mid April... the rest of the year I carry a Walther PPS.

So I went thinner, smaller, less capacity, but same 9mm caliber.

Jim243

I went from a CZ 75 P-01 (9mm, 3.8 inch barrel, 14+1 rounds) to a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro (45 ACP, 3.6 inch barrel, 7+1 rounds). Easier to carry and easier to conceal.

For reference the one on the top left to the one on the top right.

Jim

Last edited:
Realistically, I could check every one of the options because these days I vary my CCW gun.

My original CCW was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 snub.

These days I alternate between a couple of revolvers and a couple of semi-autos.