Compact 9mm

photographix

I love my Walther PPS in 9mm. Single stack, 6, 7 and 8 round mags available. 2 different size backstraps come with it.

I think it's really accurate for such a short barrel.

+1k ammo

I have been searching a bit as I finish up my concealed carry license even though almost every single business door in Chicago has a no guns allowed sign, so in reality it would spend time in the car.

Had a Shield when first came out. Very nice gun in fit and finish, I just did not relate to its take-down and trigger, so sold it after few hundred flawless rounds.

Have a Kel Tek p9, but gave that to my brother for his cc. Not a bad little gun, but kicks like a mule.

Have handled the Nano (I like my px-4 storm full size).

Almost purchased online the Taurus pt-1111 G2 Millenium for sub-200!. Have several Taurus guns - 1911 and pt-92 and love them both.

Have 3 Glocks, so the new 43 is interesting.

However, I am very interested in Kahr and comparing to Glock 43. But the CW9 which is a little bigger than the CW9. ( (btw I hate the naming conventions of Kahr - very hard to figure out - where can I find a chart?)

Have not handled one though, Cabelas and Bass Pro or the only places near me without going 1.5hrs to burbs in other direction, and they never have them.

Might just order CW9 and go with it.

BTW, my Dad had put Crimson laser on the above mentioned Pf-9 and carried daily before he gave to me. Do others have lasers on their carry pistol?

Joe_Pike

If you plan on pocket carry, the P938 has the shortest overall height of any reasonably priced handgun. It is 3.9" with the 6 round magazine. That makes it much easier to draw than anything bigger.

WVsig

CW9 vs PM9. The CM9 is about the same size as the PM9.

KahrCW9-KahrPM9NEWcomparison-1.jpg

+1k ammo

thanks wvsig..... thats perfect.

From this chart and Glocks website, looks to me like the cw9 is closer to g43

I wish they could both be in front of me to choose, but that is never going to happen.

JERRYS.

I've had a few compact 9mms in my time.... Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9 and so on.... pocket carry just isn't something that fits me unless its as small as a Beretta 950BS or LWS.

right now my "compact" 9mm is a Walther PPS. I've toyed with the idea of the G43 but haven't found anything it does that the PPS does do already. the Shield and Nano were on my list a while back but I ended up buying the PPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvORYVx5Gco

Big4Freedom

This video might be helpful to you.

http://youtu.be/8pHdg4F15aQ

The only two I'd add to Hickock's list for ya would be the Sig 938 and Sig 290RS that others have mentioned. Both great, imo. For reference, I weighed my lc9s pro and sig 290rs, today, in their similar iwb holsters, w/7rds in each, and 290 was only 3 ounces heavier and a little shorter than lc9s pro in overall size. ~22 vs 25 ounces for the two.

Hamsterdam

represent...

i will chime in with Big Mikey. i would not write Taurus off. They have made some dogs in the past, and have always remedied previous issues on next release. My everyday carry is the PT111 Pro Millenium, and at the range, or shooting targets in the pasture, it has not once FFT or FTE. i haven't used any really dirty Ammo, but for target plinking, i go with budget FMJs, such as Georgia Arms Canned Heat, Freedom Munitions 9mm 124 gr. RN Reman, or Military Ballistics Industries124gr. FMJ...which is my last choice of the 3. Still they fire purty clean, unlike some Russian rounds.

i have no hesitation in trusting my Taurus with the most intense Life Defense. That comes from trusting the weapon from experience, and the experience that came with good training with multiple firearms. Never can underestimate the importance of some basic firearms training at the least...makes it safer for the owner, and all others in the area. :)

hodaka

I carry the Walther PPS, my wife the Ruger LC9s. Both have been 100% through many rounds. The Ruger is lighter and less expensive. I would recommend either.

You are looking at some good guns, but they are not compacts and will not shoot like compacts. If you want a more concealable carry they are good choices. My compact is a Sig P229 with a 3.9" barrel. The barrels of both the LC9 and the Shield are 3.1".

StrutStopper

I just bought an LC9s Pro today. Haven't shot it yet. Wanted to sell my original LC9 but the shop only wanted to give me $175 because it's got some holster wear so now I've got 2 LC9s.

jcv

There are a lot of good suggestions here, but let me add another. If at all possible, find a rental range and try before you buy. I recently traded my LC9 for a Shield NTS. The Ruger is slim and smooth, but for me the recovery time between shots was very slow. The slightly larger grip of the Shield made a big difference in my hands (perhaps because I was already used to the similar grip of my old S&W 3913). YMMV.

rt11002003

Look at the SIG p239 and the DW Guardian. The Guardian is pricy, but really designed for carry duty. My SIG p239 is the SAS Gen. 2, which is also designed for carry, all the corners smoothed and rounded; but a little more expensive than the standard model.