Compact 9mm

publius

Thinking of a compact, slim 9mm. The Ruger LC9 is looking the best to me right now. The Glock seems to be much thicker b/c it's double stack. The size of the Taurus is about the same as the Ruger, but it's a Taurus. Any others I should be considering?

Sounds like all the usual suspects were named in two responses!

I'd like to monitor, because I am in a similar search, I think. Does the OP really mean "subcompact"? Many doublestack models are billed as "compact", and are usually smaller than full-size variants, but not really "pocket pistols", which I think the LC9, Shield, etc. certainly are.

Don't want to confuse things with semantics, just want to keep us on the same page, that's all.

Hank R

I have the XDs9 and really like it . I also have the Kahr PM9 as well and alternate depending on what I am wearing. The LC9s is a very good choice too. There are so many great choices today compared to 15 years ago.

WVsig

All these sound like subcompacts to me. ;)

I always considered compacts to be slightly smaller than duty sized guns. For example a P228 vs a P226.

Sounds like you are looking for a subcompact or pocket gun.

Lost Sheep

I had the opportunity to fire a Kimber Solo this past weekend. I compared favorably to my brand-new Sig 290 that I bought the weekend before.:mad:

But, I did get the Sig for half the price of the Kimber.

And then there is the Boberg. Innovative action, there.

Lost Sheep

publius

Maybe my definitions aren't really correct. I think we described the size I mean in yet first two posts. I mean bigger than LCP, Kel Tec P32 etc, something with a little actual grip and sight radius but small enough to pocket carry occasionally not regularly.

BigMikey76

The size of the Taurus is about the same as the Ruger, but it's a Taurus.

I encourage you not to write the Taurus off without taking a good look first. I assume you are looking at the PT 709 Slim. I found it to be a bit short in the grip for my hand, but it is about the same as the Shield and all of its competitors. The trigger is surprisingly nice, and it is SA/DA - something you won't find in the other options, unless you go to a far more expensive pistol. For a step up in capacity, the PT111 G2 holds 12+1, and it is only about 1/4" thicker than the PT-709, Shield, LC9, etc. It also has an extra 3/4" or so extra grip length, which makes it just long enough for my XL hands to get a full grip. It hides away nicely in an IWB holster, and mine has been quite reliable. It also has the same trigger system as the PT 709. Check out the many reviews available (not just from professional writers; there are plenty from real consumers). The PT 709 and the PT 111 G2 are both helping to turn Taurus' reputation around.

BigMikey76

I mean bigger than LCP, Kel Tec P32 etc, something with a little actual grip and sight radius but small enough to pocket carry occasionally not regularly.

That is a really good description of the PT 111 G2

Slimjim9

I mean bigger than LCP, Kel Tec P32 etc, something with a little actual grip and sight radius but small enough to pocket carry occasionally not regularly.
I know this is the semi forum but have you completely ruled out revolvers? Ruger LCR fits the description and even the heavier KLCR version pockets easily.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
When the Ruger lc9s first came out,I bought two.Now a few hundred rounds later,my son nor I have had a single issue.Plus backed by a good company. :D

DA/SA Fan

Keltec PF-9 and P-11 are similarly sized and are pretty popular options in that size. I might try a P-11 as an occasional pocket carry gun. For a compact I just bought a SAR B6PC for IWB carry. 7.5 inches long and 5.37 inches high.

Quentin2

LC9s Pro for me. I bought it, the Shield and CM9 and still comparing but it's the little Ruger all the way. For a doublestack you can't beat the Glock 26.