Common Silencer Myths Debunked

hartcreek

Dang now I will have to spend $200 on a tax stamp and find the adaptor that clamps on a Ruger Mark 1 and re find the plans that I saw on building a silencer.

Theohazard

Luckyk1751 said:
Can you carry the silener to the range or have it in your truck or car, without first letting anyone know where you are going , much like what I here you have to report with a full auto .
Under federal law, you don't need approval to take any Title II firearm to the range, even a machine gun. Well, not unless your range is in another state.

If you want to take a machine gun, short-barrel rifle, short-barrel shotgun, or destructive device across state lines, you need approval from the ATF via Form 5320.20. But approval isn't needed for silencers or AOWs; those firearms are treated just like regular Title I firearms under federal law when it comes to transportation. Of course, check state and local laws before taking a silencer to another state.

Machineguntony

Another myth that I keep hearing about suppressors and NFA items, in general: there is a lot of paperwork involved in obtaining an NFA item.

Theohazard

Machineguntony said:
Another myth that I keep hearing about suppressors and NFA items, in general: there is a lot of paperwork involved in obtaining an NFA item.
Yeah, its not that difficult at all. In fact, here in WA the initial paperwork for an NFA item takes less time than the paperwork for a handgun (provided they already have their trust set up); here we have an annoying state handgun form along with the 4473.

JohnKSa

Administrator
...the initial paperwork for an NFA item takes less time than the paperwork for a handgun (provided they already have their trust set up)...
Which is to say that there's not much paperwork to do after you've already done the paperwork. ;)

Theohazard

Ha, fair enough :). But the trust is a one-time thing; once you have a trust you don't have to worry about it again. Since I already have a trust, every time I buy an NFA item the paperwork is quick and easy.

Clark

Want to buy a suppressor

If I live in WA, but hunt for more than one month per year in MT, and do not hunt in WA, should I buy in WA and store in WA?

dogtown tom

Clark If I live in WA, but hunt for more than one month per year in MT, and do not hunt in WA, should I buy in WA and store in WA?
Why do you think it would matter?
Keep life simple, store it where you are. That way you can shoot it when you aren't hunting.