Columnist's editorial in The Orlando Sentinel, and comments

Skans

I have two thoughts about Doctors who want to talk about guns:

1. When my wife was pregnant we went to a perinatologist. He inquired about firearms. His question to me went something like this: "Hey, what do you think about this Barrett M99A1 - I'm thinking about buying it?" We got along just fine.

2. However, when I bring my kid to a doctor because she has something wrong with her, the last thing I need is a doctor having a serious conversation with my child about guns, politics, religion, her facebook page, or what TV shows she likes. Its unprofessional. Its inappropriate. Its outside of his/her area of expertise. And, its creepy.

If I ever hear a Doctor say this to me:

"the absence of guns from children's homes and communities is the most reliable and effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries" to them.

My response will be: The absence of life from a person's body is the most reliable and effective measure to prevent them from dying.

Skans, perhaps a more closely-tailored response would be, "The best way to avoid a medical malpractice injury is to never go to a doctor."

TailGator

MLeake

If you last post was directed at me, I think we are in agreement. The random questioning that you mentioned is what I was referring to when I said that I found it inappropriate at routine consultations.

The problem I had with the law is that it essentially outlawed all questioning about firearms by doctors, even when it was indicated by history and/or physical findings. IIRC, its allowance for exceptions such as I mentioned was worded very vaguely. A doctor who asks a question in the best interest of his or her patient faces, at worst, a six-figure fine and jail time, and at best tens of thousands of dollars of legal fees in hopes of showing that his/her question fit the indistinct legal exception.

If a doctor expresses concern about the mental status of a family member, I will either assure them that my firearms are securely stored or remove them from the home; or if I have been unaware of the problem until then, I will appreciate the reminder and give further thought to how my firearms are stored. I personally would not be offended and would not seek a legal punishment against such a doctor.

Actually, this is not a theoretical with me. My mother-in-law lived with us for several months because of her medical needs, which include a progressive memory disorder. At one point, a nurse very professionally and calmly advised me that if there were any firearms in the home, they should be under lock and key. I had already increased the security of my storage at that point, but contrary to being offended I thought it reflected well on the nurse's consideration of the totality her patient's condition and needs.