Colt Woodsman versus modern 22lr

rodfac

I prefer the heel catch to a magazine release button. So do many of us who have had their magazines self-ejected by mag release buttons pressed by our skin or clothing.
Very true. Rod

BoogieMan

I saw a comparison earlier today between a 1903 and a Glock (whatever their pocket pistol is). To me it's not that the Glock is bad or that the 1903 is bad. They are different. In a similar way that the Woodsman is different than a Mark or Buckmark. They all have their respective place.

Ibmikey

Boogie, You must have been a Socialology major to sit on the fence like that, I am a little more forceful in my position: Pistols gone by were made of wood and beautifully machined and polished steel, usually hand fitted and beautifully rendered for public consumption---
Expensive to make by today's standards so we get plastic and investment castings or forgings that do not see a polishing wheel with mystery finish put over that dull surface and call the end product "revolutionary" coupled with a distribution system with a Dont Give a Damn attitude and we have the modern world.
Of course we now have the Internet allowing someone in Texas to get a holster from one in Romania and can drive a car with a Mexican transmission, Hungarian engine, made in Poland and sold in Spokane Wa. We now have world wide terrorism by groups who hate everyone not subscribing to their own ideals and use children as triggers to their devices of destruction.
And finally we can whine and riot if our favorite is not recognized and then legally destroy our neighbor's property because our less than honest politian did not beat the other guy's less than honest one.
Boogie sorry to take my tirade out on a fellow member but once flowing some long :confused:stifled thoughts were released. :D Now i feel better.

BoogieMan

Boogie, You must have been a Socialology major to sit on the fence like that, I am a little more forceful in my position: Pistols gone by were made of wood and beautifully machined and polished steel, usually hand fitted and beautifully rendered for public consumption---
Expensive to make by today's standards so we get plastic and investment castings or forgings that do not see a polishing wheel with mystery finish put over that dull surface and call the end product "revolutionary" coupled with a distribution system with a Dont Give a Damn attitude and we have the modern world.
Of course we now have the Internet allowing someone in Texas to get a holster from one in Romania and can drive a car with a Mexican transmission, Hungarian engine, made in Poland and sold in Spokane Wa. We now have world wide terrorism by groups who hate everyone not subscribing to their own ideals and use children as triggers to their devices of destruction.
And finally we can whine and riot if our favorite is not recognized and then legally destroy our neighbor's property because our less than honest politian did not beat the other guy's less than honest one.
Boogie sorry to take my tirade out on a fellow member but once flowing some long stifled thoughts were released. Now i feel better.
@IBMIKEY- no problem, vent away. Im thick skinned. FYI- you couldnt be further from the truth. I am a schooled machinist that practices as an engineer. If it helps my wife has a psy degree and has opened my mind a fair amount. And im from Hungarian decent. lol
I dont own a plastic gun, the vast majority of my collection is pre 1950 and includes a fine example of a 1903.
I should clarify my comment. I dont feel as if a Glock is an equal to the fine crafted walnut and blue of yesteryear. I do feel as if the Glock (metaphor for modern cheep handgun) is every bit as suited for its intended purpose as the 1903 or Woodsman was for its intended purpose.
Maybe a bad example explained in a worse way. A wordsmith I am not.