Colt should bring back the Python

Mycin

The factory fired the gun before shipping and if this in deed his retirement plan he'll most likely be living in a double door refrigerator box under an overpass.

How's this:

My buddy has a 6" Python he bought in, I think, 1979. He is the original owner, and has never fired the revolver, though of course someone at the factory doubtless test-fired the handgun, possibly multiple times -- we can't be sure how many -- before shipping it to the dealer or distributor. It has no drag marks, dings, or blemishes of any kind that can be seen in a cursory inspection. A good magnifying glass might show some imperfections. He still has the original box, which is in terrific shape but likely not as nice as when he brought it home from the store, and all the original papers.

He jokes that he has a picture of it to show to anyone who breaks into the house, because that's as close as he could come to actually using it. This is a joke. In actuality, he owns other handguns that he'd use in case of a home invasion. No one thinks an intruder would be scared off by a picture of a revolver.

With prices on Pythons continuing to climb as they are, there's no telling what his revolver will be worth by the time he retires in a few years. At any rate, it's too valuable in it's current state to use for its original purpose.

I think the original, more hyperbolic version was pithier, but there you go.

Armybrat

Seeing as how these days the SAA is being assembled & finished by one skilled craftsman, it won't be long before that icon will fade out of production. :(

45_auto

Seeing as how these days the SAA is being assembled & finished by one skilled craftsman, it won't be long before that icon will fade out of production.

Won't be the first time that has happened.

Tex44

Won't be the first time that has happened.

Probably won't be the last either.

I'm not really seeing the appeal of paying $1400 for a Colt made SAA when I can get a Uberti which is about as true to the original design as you can get for $400. The Colt name is not worth that to me. For $1400, I could buy 2 of the Ubertis, and have them worked over so that they were smoother and had a nicer trigger.

44 AMP

Staff
The factory fired the gun before shipping and if this in deed his retirement plan he'll most likely be living in a double door refrigerator box under an overpass.

If he does, it will be for some other reason than factory proof/test fire of the gun. Collectors know, and understand, unfired, like "unturned" means "since it left the factory.

All work done on the gun, at the factory, including the action being worked, and even test firing is considered part of the manufacturing process, and does not count when stating condition at retail.

Whether the gun had a single test fire or a dozen doesn't matter, if the gun was never fired after commercial purchase, it is "unfired".

CajunBass

Whether the gun had a single test fire or a dozen doesn't matter, if the gun was never fired after commercial purchase, it is "unfired".

I am so glad to hear someone else say that. It seems every time the word "unfired" comes up in these discussions, there will be some "Captain Obvious" come along and point out, "It was test fired at the factory." Well...Duhhhhh. No kidding?"

If Colt did bring back the Python, I wonder how many "The new Python isn't nearly as good as the old Python" posts we would see soon thereafter?

No need to wonder. All you have to do is go the Smith & Wesson forums and look for discussions on the "new" Model 27. I've got one, a 27-9, and for all practical purposes, I can't tell any real difference between it, and the -2's and even a "Pre-27" I used to have. Yet, I have been reminded a few times that I don't have a "real" Model 27. :)

dahermit

I am convinced that the appeal of the Colt Python was cosmetics. The vented rib with the full underlug gave it its appeal...without them, I doubt if they would have been more popular than the comparable S&W's. Note that after the Python was dropped, S&W started putting top ribs (albeit not vented),and full under-lugs on some of their guns. As for the vaunted Colt lock-work, its perceived superiority to S&W's is more the faulty perception of those who did not have enough knowledge about the workings of Colt's and S&W's to make that judgement.

Brutus

I think if Colt was to entertain the thought of producing a new revolver bringing back the Detective special would be their best bet for a profitable undertaking but if I was the CEO of Colt I would seriously consider a Dan Wesson pattern revolver.

Glenn E. Meyer

I'm calling them on my rotary phone.

I just don't see the market. Ruger, SW and Taurus have complete lines. Kimber has a new snubby out and we have to see how that goes.

Pocket carry guns are moving towards the small semis with the niche snubbies from the above folks. Is it worth the investment?

Nope.

Brutus

A DS without a Hillary hole would certainly be a welcome commodity. I'd pop for one in an instant. Was always a Colt fan in a Ford vs. Chevy kind of way but a quality revolver without a Hiilary hole would be a must. Ruger's are great guns but lack sex appeal and I've read to many horror stories about Taurus quality and customer service. As far as Kimbers go I have first hand experiance with their customer service and will never own another.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If Colt brought back the DS/Python/Cobra/Diamondback tomorrow, all the folks who are clamoring for one would stay away in droves. They would complain endlessly that the new guns were not good enough, not like the old, not worthy of the name, etc., etc., et endless cetera.

If Colt were to say, "we will bring back the Python if we get ten thousand advance orders with $1000 cash" how many of those rabid "bring back the Python" fans would respond with checks? I'm pretty sure the answer would be easy - none.

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
No, you don't understand.

The last figure quoted as an estimate from a Colt rep was $3000 per, if it were to happen.

It simply cannot make money for Colt.
Period.
Denis

dakota1911

I had heard that one of the Italian companies that makes SA replicas was going to made a Python lookalike. Sure it will be different inside, but as long as it has the "look" that might not matter.

I bought a Python about the last year Colt was selling them. It was about a $1K thing. Due to the silliness in how much people think these are worth today I hate to take it to a public range to shoot it. Nice pistol though and glad I bought it when I did.

Like I say, nice pistol but I also have a 686 no dash and an early GP100 so I can't quite get down on my knees and pray to it or anything.

22-rimfire

When I bought a new Hi-Power new it was just shy of $1000. I think lots of people would pay that much for a Python. I know I would.

But would you pay $3000 per gun? Colt does not have the machines to go into revolver production. Also, new guns would not be the same as the old hand fitted ones and there would be endless discussions about their value. Mean while, Colt is loosing their butt. No it won't happen in my opinion.

micromontenegro

Maybe the trouble is getting managers who know how to make money?

I'll point an example I've used before when this conversation pops out: Nikon.

To celebrate year 2000, Nikon made a limited series of S3 cameras- originally from 1958. To quote one of the big experts: "It was quite a production to produce S3's again, as all the original dies were long gone, and Nikon had not produced a hand assembled camera since the F2 stopped production in 1978. Originally Nikon announced only 2000 of the chrome S3 2000. The camera proved so popular however, I am told over 8000 factory orders were placed before order taking was closed."

They didn't have a single worker who knew how to make a S3. They didn't have blueprints, and had to reverse-engineer the whole thing. And if you ever think a Colt's innards are complex, please take a look at the guts of a high-end mechanical camera.

But they did it, and it was a technical tour-de-force. Many camera enthusiasts turned to Nikon, not to buy the old fashioned S3, but the new products, safe in the knowledge that if Nikon was capable of making a 1958 camera all over again, they were among the very best, if not THE very best camera makers in the world.

All in all, a wonderful publicity stunt that paid off in spades, as Nikon is now the second largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world.

And they pulled the stunt two more times with the black S3 and the much more complex SP for 2005, so something tells me they felt the whole thing was a success, even if the S3s themselves were all sold at a heavy loss, as Colt would do with the Python if they had a smart marketing man. People in the know think that each NikonS3 2000 was manufactured at a cost exceeding $6,000- and sold under $2,000. If those figures are right, Nikon bought itself one of the best publicity campaigns for a niche market for a measly 3.2 million bucks.

But then again, at Nikon they are smart businessmen.

Edited to add: Regarding the smart approach, Nikon didn't pull the idea of reintroducing the S3 out of a hat. On year 2000, there was a big fad going on about old rangefinder cameras. People were spending unreasonable amounts of money in old Leica, Zeiss and Nikon rangefinders. So the people at Nikon grabbed at the opportunity to show the world that they could make them again. Any semblance with the Python fad going on for the last few years is merely coincidential.

So, in a nutshell: Colt could make new Pythons at say 3K per unit, sell them at 1K, and still make lots of money- if they were smart marketers. But they aren't, so they wont.

Last edited:

P5 Guy

The royal blue finish was a thing of beauty but the full lug and ventilated rib just didn't balance in my hand and the rib? What is this a hand-shotgun?
The pull back cylinder release is awkward too

DPris

Member Emeritus
Pietta was going to make their Python copy, but they've dropped it as of January of this year.

An, in a nutshell, Colt CANNOT make a sustainable profit on a new Python.
The market isn't even sufficient to recoup startup costs, as we've discussed time & again previously.
Denis

Savage99

I owned a new Python back when they came out. Mine had the 6" barrel.

I never could shoot it well. It was too barrel heavy for me. I could shoot my Colt Officers Match better and also a Ruger Black Hawk. My Woodsman was superior to them all.

The barrels forcing cone split on my Python. They had me bring it up to the Hartford plant and I watched them put on a new barrel. I live near there.