Colt LW Commander 9mm or Hi Power?

Bill DeShivs

Colt's designed the original Commander in 9mm for the US military trials in the 1950s. The changeover to 9mm did not happen, and the military kept the .45 for quite a while.
The 9mm Commander is a pretty reliable gun- but for the OP's purpose I would get the HP, and the Commander next year.

SIGSHR

I would consider a Colt 38 Super. Converting it to 9MM is merely a matter of a new barrel and magazine.

smee78

Because you already have one 1911 9mm I would go for the BHP. There are alot of options right now for different BHP's so that is the direction I would go.

UncleEd

Regarding the 9 mm and the .45 ACP in the 1911, Bill Wilson writes in his book that the .45 really isn't all that ideal for the 1911 reliability using the 230 grain RN bullet.

His current thinking is that the 9 mm works very well.

He also comments that the 1911 minis need design finessing to work, usually requiring a barrel to slide fit without a bushing.

Is he wrong?

As to the 1911 vs BHP, I have both and like both but, forgive me, I also like/love the Beretta 92s.

rickmelear

Wow, I have2 1911s in 45 and one in 9mm. Also have 2 BHPs, one is a T series the other a Mark III. I would never sell one to buy another, save your money and buy a HP. I find them very different guns but each very special.

Hal

BHP all the way..

Something unnatural about a 9mm 1911 (full sized or commander)
Sort of reminds me of going to a steak house and asking them to boil you one..kinda thing...

shootbrownelk

I sold a Colt LW Commander because of too many issues. I bought a Springfield EMP in 9mm and couldn't be happier. I runs without issue with any ammo I feed it, including reloads. It's a far better gun than the Colt, IMO anyway. I never owned a BHP, but have shot a couple. They didn't feel right in my hand like the 1911 SA does.

joe-lumber

Series 70 1911

I frequent gun shows almost every weekend and I see dealers and attendees clambering for Series 70 Colts. They usually are offered for over $1500+. I would love to have one in my safe. Browning Hi Powers are great guns but triggers are usually not as good as 1911 can be in my opinion.

rodfac

But if i wanted a pistol to carry the all steel full size HP would take a back seat to the light weight 9mm Colt Commander. So my opinion would rest on: shooter or Carry piece.
Yep, I'd agree to that statement, but don't get me wrong, I carried one for 9 months during my first tour in Vietnam...loved the gun, wish I still had it...but a lighter piece would have been more comfortable in the aircraft.

I find the HP the perfect grip size and shape for my hands, as do both of my sons, but none of us carries one for CC purposes; preferring instead a lighter gun for all day carry. Here are some of my thoughts on HP's in general.

My HP is a .40 with that beautiful deep blue reminiscent of pre-war Smiths and Colts...and every time I holster it, I get a tinge of guilt, even with a soft lined leather holster. The good news is that the currently produced ones I've examined at Budd's in Lexington, KY, are as good, finish wise, as my early 80's model.

Too, while the grip is as perfect as I'm ever going to find on God's Green Earth, I do find the safety position and size difficult to disengage during my draw and presentation move. It's correctable with an after market part, but as is, it's problematic for me and I find that I miss it many times and have to use my support thumb. It's a training issue, no doubt, but would be a definite consideration if I was to use if for concealed carry.

Another minor, cosmetic only issue with the current crop of HP's is the size of the adjustable sights. For me, they just are too tall, awkward looking if you will. While good for speed work and even better for slow fire, they just stick up too high for my taste. For comparison, check out the old-school S&W J-frame sights mounted on some custom HP's from the 60's through the 90's. Milled into the slide top, and with a suitable front sight of the Baughman ramp style, they're perfect to my eye.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:

RickB

A Commander is a really big, bulky 9mm.
There should be some proportion between size and chambering/capacity.
The BHP is really no bigger than a Commander, but holds fourteen rounds (eighteen, if you don't mind adding a half-inch to the butt).
At the same time, the Commander dwarfs a SIG P938 or Kimber Micro 9, but with the latter you still have 7+1 of 9mm in a relatively tiny package.

Pilot

Mec-Gar makes excellent, flush fit 15 round magazines for the Browning Hi Power. That is what I typically use for mine, but I also have a bunch of the 13 round factory mags. They both work great.

KyJim

At the same time, the Commander dwarfs a SIG P938 or Kimber Micro 9, but with the latter you still have 7+1 of 9mm in a relatively tiny package.
Not disputing the Commander is big/heavy for a 9mm but, in all fairness, they are 9+1 or 10+1 so you do get more rounds.

RickB

Yeah, "still" not referring to the capacity of the Commander, but to the minimal loss of capacity relative to size.
Even if you cut the size of the gun in half, you still have 7+1.

Sgt Pepper

I had a S&W 1911 9mm Pro for a while. It was smoother than glass to operate. Easy shooter, tuned 1911 trigger, great sights, well broken in. I wanted to love it so much (particularly at the price point), but it really wasn't better than any other 9mm that I had owned - at least not significantly enough.

I would take my BHP over that pistol anyway - for any kind of work. Actually, I have kept my Browning and moved the S&W on with zero regrets. That's really not a comment against the S&W, it's just shooting a 9mm out of a 1911 just isn't where it's at (at least not for me). Unless you just have to have a 1911, there are better platforms for the 9mm (such as the BHP), and if you have to have a 1911, then there is no question.

The 1911 trigger can be as overrated as the BHP trigger is underrated. Do some actual shooting and not merely slow motion dry-firing and see what happens, especially if you get rid of the silly mag drop safety. The BHP is quite practical, accurate, and effective. These are combat guns after all, and not target plinkers.

jr24

Weight being largely the same. In 9mm I prefer double stacks.

True that the 1911 will likely get you a crisper trigger, you can get a surplus BHP and send it to Cylendar and Slide and get it gussied up for close to the Colts cost.

For carry I find the BHP to be easier to conceal than even a bobtailed commander, plus 16 rounds of 9mm ain't nothin to sneeze at (my Mec-Gar 15 rounders have always worked flawlessly).

Now, if I had a LOT of money

You'd get a Nighthawk!

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/browning-hi-power

Erno86

I prefer the Pachmayr grips on my fixed sighted Mark III BHP, and the spring loaded magazines; though you can get a non-spring loaded 30 round magazine for it.

Years ago...I heard that the 9mm BHP should avoid using +P-9mm, due to frame strength issues; unless you use a 40mm frame with a 9mm barrel --- Though I can't verify that at this moment. Any of you guys heard any similar stories?

Pilot

Years ago...I heard that the 9mm BHP should avoid using +P-9mm, due to frame strength issues; unless you use a 40mm frame with a 9mm barrel --- Though I can't verify that at this moment. Any of you guys heard any similar stories?

No, that isn't true with the MK III BHP. The frame is a stronger, cast frame on the MK III to handle the .40 round, so is fine fo 9MM +P, but with any gun, shooting a steady diet of heavy loaded rounds will accelerate wear in general.