Colt King Cobra vs. Smith Wesson Model 19 Carry Comp

Craft will custom make you a holster the fit your King Cobra.I had them make me an ITW left handed leather holster for my 4" Python & it came out terrific.
Houston makes a very nice soft ITW holster for my King Cobra for about $15.

Stargater53

I like the fact that S&W and Colt are getting back to its smaller, lighter .357s, but I'm waiting to see if Ruger will follow suit and introduce something like its old Speed-Six. The SP-101 is fine up to a point, but Ruger seems too wedded to the bulky, heavy boat anchor mentality.

Years ago, I found a couple of .38 Spc Speed-Sixes in SHOTGUN NEWS and picked them up cheap. I took them to a well known gunsmith, and for $65 apiece had them reamed out to accept .357s. Not only was the bottom line price of the guns still considerably cheaper than the 2.75-inch .357s, the reaming process was far more exact than factory produced issues. And with springs and some polishing, I ended up with a great brace of revolvers!

I hope Ruger follows the S&W and Colt entries with something that that weighs a little less than a car battery. Only time will tell, though. BTW, how many here are old enough to remember this great ad?

Sadly, the ad didn't make people want to buy S&W as much as it did steaks and malts! That's why it didn't last. But it also didn't fool gun owners who knew it was BS. The sleeker Security-Six was every bit as strong as the 686, and Ruger's decision to add more steel to its GP-100 was just Ruger being Ruger and adding unnecessary weight to an otherwise fine revolver.

--

Last edited:

labnoti

That burger and shake ad was a response to a Ruger ad comparing a S&W side by side and touting the strength by material bulk of the GP-100.

Both the GP-100 and the 686 had one driving motive behind them - the Newhall incident and subsequent spread of mandates to train with .357 duty ammo instead of .38 Specials. The Model 19 and 66 were perceived as insufficient for the high volume of Magnum ammo expected in training, and the 686 and GP-100 were direct responses to a demand for a service revolver that wouldn't have the cumulative downtime that was expected in large populations of 19's and 66's had they been maintained.

I don't have details on exactly how the "six" series of Rugers were also wearing at an excessive rate as the volume of Magnum fire increased, but I've read non-specific accounts that was exactly what was happening and what engendered the demand for the GP-100. I can imagine that the sales of the 586/686 also prompted Ruger to offer a direct competitor that didn't have any perceived weakness by comparison.

Sales has a lot to do with consumer's perception and not just reality. Even though the reality was that most people would never wear out a 19 or a Security Six, the mere existence of the 686 and GP-100 suggested to them that they could, and engendered a desire for the stronger, more durable guns. In reality, the problems with the lighter guns were almost certainly primarily a concern of people responsible for large populations of them, like heads of large departments and the manufacturers themselves because of warranties and service contracts.

The Ruger vs S&W revolver frame competition seemed important in the late 80's. I think that burger ad was 1989. It wouldn't be long before few buyers cared, because the consequences, not of Newhall, but Miami would soon take hold, and those who were previously large consumers of duty revolvers would all be buying automatics chambered in the .40 S&W introduced in January 1990.