Colt Detective Special - need help

bk40

Hello all.

I spotted this DS for sale with the following description and pic. I did some researching in the archives here... and well, I would like your opinion(s) on the revolver and the asking price. Also, are there any specific questions I need to ask the seller? I don't have the serial# to determine the year of production, but I am working on it ;)

This beautiful, original Colt Dectective Special revolver has been in my safe for a long time and I have never shot it. It came from a police officer who purchased it in the '70's and put less than 50 rounds through it. Included is the original factory Colt box w/ label. It is in beautiful condition with gorgeous wood grips. Pistol is all factory original and unmodified in any way. Asking $325 shipping included.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1432886&a=10738583&p=36970907

Any and all comments appreciated.

mikey357

Gee, if it was made in the '70's it was probably the EARLY '70's...I think they went to the shrouded ejector rod housing in the mid-to-late '70's. IF the gun is in as good condition as it appears(95%++), then $325.00 is a very good price IF you are BUYING...IMHO, anyway!!!....mikey357

shiroikuma

I have a later model, with the shrouded ejector rod. They have nice trigger but an all steel one is heavy. I think that's a good price for it but you will have to get new grips as the stock ones are very bad.

M

M58

Good price. I had a later version in 70s with shroud and better grips. 6-rounds in the size of chief.:)

bk40

Thanks for the input.

The serial# is 8791xx - is that enough info to date this revolver?

ajaxinacan

Buy it now!!

Great price. I picked up one for $250 about 3 years ago. Best snubby I've ever owned. You won't regret it.

9mmepiphany

from the picture, the gun is a pre-70's DS purchased in 1970. these lacked the ejector rod shroud and the oversized grips. however, they usually have a nicer action and finish...just don't bean anyone over the head with one:D a very nice gun that should be easier to shoot accurrately than any J-frame.

just for info: the DS uses the same speedloader as the K-frame. if you like the grips (real wood, not plastic look alike)you might want to add a grip-filler (rubber or metal) to fill the space between the triggerguard and grip panels.

bk40

once again, Thanks to all who replied. This snubbie should be in my possession next week :D

9mmepiphany, thanks for the sppeedloader tip!

but you will have to get new grips as the stock ones are very bad.

could someone elaborate on the problems with these grips? I'm not a revolver guy so I'm open for suggestions.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Like most traditional revolver stocks, they are smaller at the top than the bottom and tend to work down in your hand in rapid-fire. That's what I'm told. Frankly, I've never noted such a problem with a .38 Spec. If they're still around, the old grip adapters might be a nice, inexpensive way to go in this case. This is just a filler piece that attaches to the front of the grip strap via two flat strips of metal that go under the factory stocks. When the stocks are tightened down, the adapter is attached.

Of all the DS revolvers, I like the pre-shroud versions like the one you are planning on buying. They just plain look good.

I've shot but a few of these, but they all shot well. Back in the "early days," before there were hollow points that actually worked in this caliber, experiments with hollowbased wadcutters loaded backwards showed that the Colts would stabilize at lower velocity than the S&Ws I normally used.

Best.

9mmepiphany

grips - short story (opps, went long)

bk40 - good choice the DS will give a good snubby K-frame a run for the money.

the grips you have on your DS look great, real wood with grain. this grip design comes from a time when most folks shot SA and one handed, upon firing the gun was allowed to recoil up and roll into the hand, much like a SAA. along those lines, they were narrow at the top and flared at the bottom. you may also notice that the grips fit the frame perfectly too...ahhh true workmanship.

in the modern use (DA) of the wheelgun, the goal is a stable and consistent grip for the long DA pull and followup shots. current thought is wide at the top, fills the hand and spreads out recoil, and narrow at the bottom, to allow the shorter fingers to aid in the grip. a filler is added between the rear of the trigger guard and the frame, this lowers the middle finger so that the trigger finger will not overlap during the pull. newer handgun designs, ruger and dan wesson, address this with reduced frames. rugers have designed in a filler, redhawk and sp101, to go with their traditional looking stocks.

the aftermarket grip fillers are a compromise, you fill the recess and keep the original grip look but they are still narrow at the top and can slide down into your hand. should be ok for a .38spl.

colts will stabilize middle weight bullets better than most other brands due to their twist rate, 1-14" vs. 1-18". pythons go one better and choke down the muzzle of their barrels.

Calif Hunter

Colt rifling twist

Is this why my first model Trooper in .357 and my Python seem to like the heavier bullets (140 gr and up) rather than the 125 gr bullets? Thanks!

9mmepiphany

might be, i used my python in PPC with 148gr wadcutters and 158gr roundnose for leg matches. my duty load was the speer lawman 140gr jhp magnum...i loved the pentagonal cavity :cool:

i never had much luck with 125gr jhp either but had a friend with a couger (ruger security-six w/python barrel) who swore by them.

bk40

Stephen and 9mmepiphany, thanks for the info about the grips. I'll shoot it first with the stock grips and see how that goes.

But, just in case, should I want to replace the grips, anyone have any recommendations as to style and manufacturers? I'd want some very nice, high grained wood for replacements. TIA

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Date of Mfg

bk40--

My two references show the revolver was made in either 1965 (most likely) or possibly 1966. In '66 they skipped serial numbers from 890800 to D900101.

The box illustrated with the arm is the proper one for that wintage, and appears to be complete with the original liner paper. This adds considerable value to any collector. The little gun looks almost too nice to carry.

I have a similar vintage Colt Agent with factory stocks and it does well with the aluminum Tyler "T-Grip" adaptor. I personally prefer the hard rubber Pachmayr adaptor, without finger grooves.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to find proper after marker stocks for the D-frame Colts. I'd really like to have the Uncle Mike's version of the Spegal Boot Grip, but it is not listed. As suggested by Steve Camp, I'm sure Craig would make it up for you in wood. His craftsmanship is superb, but not cheap. Especially outside the realm of mass production, you get what you pay for.

Best of luck and I hope you get full enjoyment from your little Colt. If you get tired of it, don't forget your friends on TFL,

Johnny

bk40

Thanks Johnny, your info corresponds to two other sources kind enough to respond in Harley's forum. And thanks for reminding me of the obvious, Steve - Spegel's grips are hard to beat, pricey, but worth every penny.

All in all, this looks to be one of my smarter purchases. I cannot wait to bring the handsome little guy home... guess I'll pass the time by loading up some soft shooting wadcutters :)

Once again, thanks to all for your replies.

ps- Johnny, should the revolver ever desire greener pastures, I'll give you a buzz :D

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
As long as we're "accessorizing" your little Colt before you even get it - - -

I spent a couple of days with former shurf Jim Wilson (Shooting Times writer) last week. He showed me some holsters by Derry Gallagher, including a couple for 2-1/2 and 3 inch revolvers, made of horsehide, which were beautiful. You might check out Derry's web site, at

http://www.dgallagherholsters.com

He's out of McAllen, Texas.

These holsters were for strong side belt carry. They appeared to be some of the best concealment holsters for snubguns I've seen. Of course, the IWB holsters are somewhat better for this purpose--concealment--but not for speed.

I've had reallly good luck with the Barami "Hip Grip" which takes the place of the right ride strock panel.

Best of luck--
Johnny

loknload

Colt DS

bk, It looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal on that one. I paid about $275. for my 70's shrouded version and isn't as nice as that one. ;) BTW I use a Bianchi 215 shoulder rig to carry mine, Very comfortable shoulder holster :)

bk40

picked up the little beauty y'day :)

I am absolutely thrilled with this beautiful little revolver. It is truly hard for me to believe how good a shape its in :) especially for a 36 year old vintage revolver. The cylinder has only the faintest indication marks that its ever been turned. The deep blueing is almost black in appearance, very richly finished.

I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to shoot more than a few rounds through it... maybe find another DS for a "shooter".

The factory grips are fitted to perfection, no gaps, overlaps or any flaws can be spotted. Perfection and beautiful grainage also! But, I now understand the comments about the grip shape and perhaps a call to Mr. Spegel or maybe Roy Fishpaw is in order, this little guy deserves some very special wood that handles a little better.

Thanks to all for you help!

Rusty S

Hey: old but nib factory/aftermkt. grips available. They all fill-in the gap between trigger and frontstrap.

Det-Spl/D-back: new rubber compact aftermkt: $3.99
: new wood factory ( d-back ): $9.99
: new wood groove aftermkt : $9.99

http://cdnninvestments.com/colt1.html

Even if you don't like them as is, $10 for a fitted blank to whittle on is a good deal. I think the factory wood ones were meant for the shrouded underlug later snubbies. Can't tell, but if they were for the shrouded underlug snubs, I have a pair on my unshrouded Police Positive Special and they are ok. If they were for the shrouded PPS or it's ( lightweight ) Viper counterpart they'd be almost as good as the Herrets Shooting Stars on my Diamondback.