Colt Cobra Issue

Kreyzhorse

Sooooo, had my new model Colt Cobra out over the weekend. Was teaching a couple of people to shoot and brought the Cobra as an example of a small concealable revolver.

I've shot this gun many times mind you without a hiccup but on Saturday there were light strikes and initially I blamed it on the mag tech ammo. After watching one person shoot, I noticed the hammer seemed to bounce after a shot and I called time out.

After unloading the gun, the timing, trigger, and cylinder were all non functional. They would work, but the timing and feel was off. Almost no pressure on them. Something was amiss for sure.

Got home with it and while I didn't pull the side plate off, I took the grips off and an internal part had fallen into the leaf spring. Something broke in the action for sure.....

I'll give Colt a call Monday.

Not happy of course, but we'll see how the fix is. The gun has less than 200 rounds through it so pretty surprised to see it crap out like this.

I'll update as it works through the process.

Last edited:

unclenunzie

Thank you for posting. Makes me a little sad. If you can post a picture it would be of interest just to get an idea of what the part is that broke.

Kreyzhorse

The part looks like a link in a bike chain. It was intact from what I can tell. That link seems to tie the trigger to the leaf spring so either something happened to the leaf spring connection or something happened to where it attaches to the hammer.

My guess is that the hammer connection is what is broken.

Laker

So, you shot it plenty but it has less than 200 rounds through it? And....why weren't you sheltering in place rather than out shooting with other people?

44 AMP

Staff
...why weren't you sheltering in place rather than out shooting with other people?

Not sure about KY but in some states shooting ranges are considered part of the essential businesses, and you are ALLOWED to go there.

Kreyzhorse

Gun businesses are essential business in KY as AMP pointed out and besides, it is a private outdoor range and club, but thanks for the thoughtful post.:rolleyes:

Kreyzhorse

Colt's CS seems to be working remote. Dropped them an email yesterday describing the issue and already had a response at 9am setting up an RMA.

CajunBass

Have you checked to see if the sideplate screws are tight? The sideplate on a Colt holds the little internal pieces in place, and if the screws loosen up it can let the parts get out of wack. It happened to my 2020 Python, but I caught it before it got to the point of the parts actually falling out of place. I checked my 2019 Cobra later and found one had worked loose also. BTW. My symptoms were pretty much what you described, I just caught it quick. Be especially mindful of the one behind the grips.

I understand Colt is addressing this problem by putting thread lock on the screws. I haven't sent mine back, or even put anything on mine yet. So far simply tightening the screws up (and checking them) seems to have taken care of the problem at least for now. I've been to the range a couple of times since and everything is still tight.

Logs

I remember watching a video that talked about Colt having to update a few parts in them regarding the cylinders not turning correctly. Looks like they didn't do enough R & D on these pieces.

Kreyzhorse

Cajun - I thought the same thing, side plate was loose. I checked it and it wasn't.

As unclenunzie said, I think either the hammer or something on the mainspring broke.

Still waiting for a shipping label and RMA from Colt. Said it could take up to 48 hours so no worries at this point.

Kreyzhorse

Colt has been dropped off and is expected to arrive on Wednesday. No idea on the estimated turn around time at this point.

On a side note, picked up a very nice 1964 Colt Detective Special. Excellent shape and a superb, short trigger.

Kreyzhorse

And.... Colt is closed. They are due to open Monday after a deep clean. I'd guess someone who works there tested positive for the Wuhan Virus.