Colt and the latest gen handguns

Elerius

If the machinery is off the floor, then it would make sense not to be building any more. But if Colt still employs people capable of servicing all of the revolvers, I might think they could also be familiar with or trained easily on the assembly of the things. And they do still offer rebluing services, even the royal blue according to their current price sheet. But then, I have no real idea what is involved in producing a gun from start to finish or how much time qualified people would have to spare on this. Its a nice dream though to be able to special order a brand new Royal Blue Python :D

Sevens

It has been said in these forums that the gentlemen who can tune and repair Colt revolvers are a finite group that is getting older and doesn't seem to be growing in size. I have no idea how much truth there is to that, but it seems likely.

As for the machinery missing from the floor of the facility, I read that from a gun writer who published it in a known periodical. Discussion forum folks always slag gun writers and magazines (and vice versa) but they aren't know for telling blatant, obvious lies, so I believe it to be true.

Colt is said to be opening a new facility in Florida. Maybe that new joint will see some old, dusty PYTHON equipment set up?!:eek::D

KyJim

It's also my understanding the old equipment is gone. Remember that much of the equipment was many decades old and was wearing out. Colt would have to invest in new CNC machinery and go with a simpler design to cut out much of the intensive hand labor.