Colt 1903 vs. Tokarev

Thermodyne

I have had both in the past, the Colt is a better built pistol. With that said 32acp is hard to come by at the moment. I have had some on order for three months. I used surplus ammo in my tark and on many occasions the rounds misfired leaving the bullet in the barrel. It came in a large can with the paper board boxes wrapped in a waxy paper. I think the ammo had been stored in a hot area and the oil from the wax contaminated the rounds. The boxes were waxy too. They can had Cuban markings on it and was dated 1970.

Mastiff

Just something to think about. If you get a spare 9mm barrel and bushing for the Tok, you can fire 9mm Luger in it. Take another spare barrel and ream in out to fire 9x23 Winchester, the ballistic equivalent of the .357 Magnum. This barrel will also chamber the 9mm Largo round, which is also a cheap round right now, you can get it at 14 cents a round in bulk, less shipping.
FWIW.

raftman

txstang84, heh, it is definitely not a rusty POS, it may be 90+ years old, but you'd have to look pretty close to tell it's not factory fresh.

KBOLT

tough call, both are great guns but I think you would have more fun with the tok. It is not much fun to spend 75 cents every time you pull the trigger, but with the tok at about 7 cent per round you can go out and put a couple a hundered rounds down range with no worries....I LOVE MY TOK!

Attachments

• tok33 005.JPG
    tok33 005.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 54
  • tok33 009.JPG
    tok33 009.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 49

sarge83

Get the Colt! You can always find a Tokarov for $200 price range, you can't always find a 1903 and for $350.

txstang84

raftman, I didn't figure it would be, but $350 for a Colt 1903 is pretty unheard of from what I've seen lately.

True that the ammo is dirt cheap for the tokarev, but I believe the determining factor is the...how to say this best..."mystique" and heritage of a 1903 in good condition for an excellent price. Those Tokarevs will probably be cheaply available for a long time yet...

I certainly wouldn't mind having a tok though :) and I might have to get one after I get home.

raftman

It looks as though the Eastern bloc has triumphed. In my awaiting payday, the Colt has disappeared, and I've thus become a Tokarev owner. The TTC variety. Maybe it's for the best. I'm starting to look like a communist or something, since 75% of my guns are Soviet or copies thereof.

(BH)

i know 4 people who have bought TOK's in the past couple of years and all are very satisfied and i love mine. so thats 5 very happy TOK owners and im willing to bet you will not regret this purchase either.

now its time for you to hit up J&G sales for cheap spam can.:D:D:D

christcorp

I'm looking at getting one (Toka) next weekend when the gun show comes to town. Question: Do any of you toka owners CARRY your Tokarev??? Is it a fairly large gun for carrying??? I really like the capabilities of the caliber and the military history of the cartridge. But I also like to have a gun that is somewhat practical. In other words, I don't collect ALL MILITARY weapons; just the ones I like but also have a modern day use for me. I'd like to get a Toka for it's quality and because it's cheap to shoot. But if it's only going to be a safe queen or home defense gun; I have plenty of those. I like guns that I can carry. Thanks... Didn't want to hijack the thread; but being the colt 1903 is sold, it seemed like a good chance to jump in before the thread sort of closed through evolution. thanks....

txstang84

Size wise, they're about the same length as a 5" 1911 if memory serves. I've seen them before and held them, but it's been a long time.

raftman: congrats on the new purchase-as was mentioned, hit up J&G for a spam can of ammo...there's some on GB for cheap too as I recall (imagine that, cheap ammo on GB!) I'm sure you'll have fun with it! :)

amd6547

The Tok is very thin in width, and the butt is very compact. Both make for a pistol that carries very easily in a clip-on IWB holster...much easier to carry than a 1911.
The only problem is the safety situation. The mandated add-on safety is not suitable for cocked and locked, though it is useful at the range. The Tok can be carried chamber loaded with the hammer at halfcock, but the safest way is chamber empty. The half cock position locks the trigger and slide.
If one were to carry chamber empty, then the hammer should be cocked fully, which allows easy slide retraction. If the hammer is fully lowered, then the slide MUST be yanked hard and fast to prevent putting the hammer into halfcock and locking it.
With those points in mind, and with the proper ammo, the Tok could be a very effective CCW/woods/car pistol.
And, a word of advice...the add-on safety is retained by the same clip which retains the slide release...If you push off that clip to take down your Tok, if you are not careful, you will free the safety to push out to the left, which will allow the spring and detent to pop out. You do not want to lose either.

raftman

I actually know of a local source that carries 7.62x25 for cheaper than J&G, they've a plentiful supply (none of that "buy it before it's too late" nonsense), and that's not counting the fact that J&G will charge for shipping, take 2 weeks to ship, and all the hassle that surrounds that.

I don't think I missed out on much with things turning out the way they did.

hhb

1903 vs. Tok

If you're interested in performance, comparing the 1903 .32acp to the Tok round is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Shelby Mustang.

raftman

Here's a question I suppose I can tack on. Just how thoroughly do I need to clean the Tokarev given that I am most likely gonna be using corrosive ammo? I've never used corrosive ammo in any of my guns before, so I generally just clean the barrel and chamber until no crud comes off on the patches. Would that be adequate for cleaning after the use of corrosive ammo?

(BH)

christcorp: the TOK is actually quite concealable seeing as how thin it is. but due to the power 7.62x25 round, i would be a bit weary of carrying it for SD. but for a woods gun its about perfect.

raftman: with corrosive ammo, you really need to do some good cleaning. it takes some extra time but for the price per round, i think its worth it. everything has its trade off's.

heres a good link to get you started.... this website has some great stuff on it, and a few pages about TOK's.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

amd6547

I would have no problem carrying my Tok for CCW, if it were loaded with the Wolf Gold JHP offering...I just can't find any.

txstang84

Just how thoroughly do I need to clean the Tokarev given that I am most likely gonna be using corrosive ammo? I've never used corrosive ammo in any of my guns before, so I generally just clean the barrel and chamber until no crud comes off on the patches. Would that be adequate for cleaning after the use of corrosive ammo?

before you oil or clean the barrel, pour ammonia down through it...the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts from the mercuric primers...it just stinks really bad. The alternative is pouring boiling hot water through it to accomplish the same effect (actually to flush it out, but still gets rid of the bad stuff).

Then, after you've done that, clean as normal. Also, when shooting corrosive ammo, clean it as soon as practical...don't let the sun set on it...

copy on the cheaper local ammo! That's great-I don't believe anyone local to me carries it-but I've been gone now for a while...that may've changed.

Let us know it shoots though!

Last edited:

PSYCHO85

i have both and have fired the crap out of them both............my opinion will be to go with the colt as u will not find it that cheap again.........as for the TT well u can find it that cheap again i guess and by the way it is very fun to shot as it a very high velocity so it is very nice for shooting at high range but the better option will be to find a mauser with a but stock..........u will absolutly love it for long range shooting............if u can that is........