coldest hottest you ever hunted?

fisherman66

It never gets cold in Texas, even when we complain that it's cold.

18 degrees F is the coldest. I can't remember the hottest, but it was probably in the high 80s or low 90s. I don't even mess with it if it's any hotter. I can't get the carcass cooled fast enough to have good meat. Plus the ticks are pretty nasty when it's that warm.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Wow! Some of you guys are dedicated to this game! (Or crazy, it's hard to tell sometimes;):D)

Opening day of my first deer season it was about 70f, usually it's between 30 and 45.

If it gets below about 20f I just don't go. It's not worth it to me. It's not like I'm passing on those not quite big enough 8-points and waiting on the 14. I'm lucky to see a deer, ANY deer, so I can wait for a warmer day.

Outside of deer season I've hunted woodchucks many times with temps in the 80s and 90s. If it gets any hotter than that then the 'chucks can live another day.

James R. Burke

I live in Michigan, and during our deer season it's most the time not to bad. It can have some wide swings in the temp. I been out with just a flannel shirt like in the high 30's, and been out around -5 to 10 many times. You always need to be ready for the worste here. I layer the clothes when it is cold, and have mostly wool, real good pack boots, socks, hat, scarfs, face shield, the best gloves, and a muff to put your hands in with a hand warmer. I carry a few of those just in case you should need them and get turned around or something. I even carry the warmers for the feet. Most the time you dont need half of that stuff, but it sure dont hurt to have it if you need it. So I kind of had a taste of both sides, and try to get out most of the time. There is a point if it does get way to cold you just cant do it. Like -20 or -40 etc. But like I said most the time dressed good is all you need here except for those few rare time.

VaFisher

About four years ago I hunted Alberta the last week of Nov, for most of the week it was unseasonally cold at -42F in the am.
Hunting doves in NC in high upper 90s would be my warmest I believe.

Pahoo

Wow! Some of you guys are dedicated to this game! (Or crazy, it's hard to tell sometimes)
Perhaps a little of the first and more of the second. Hard to explain or be accepted by non-hunters, but when the weather is slapping you around a bit, it really makes you feel alive. I think mountain climbers must get the same high.
One time while hunting rabbits in the snow, looked over at my buddy and noticed that the tip of his nose was white. Asked him to wipe the snow off his nose and he did, but the white did not go away. Went over to him and the tip of his nose was getting frost bit. We quickly warmed it up and then it turned a bright red. gave him a hard time about interupting our hunting time.

Be Safe !!!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Pahoo said:
Perhaps a little of the first and more of the second. Hard to explain or be accepted by non-hunters, but when the weather is slapping you around a bit, it really makes you feel alive. I think mountain climbers must get the same high.

Oh, I don't mind being "slapped around" by the weather. I've hunted in some nasty wind and snow storms. I was so covered in snow while sitting on the ground one time that my dad walked right past me, maybe ten yards, and I was wearing entirely blaze orange from the waste up! Cold on the other hand, that I don't do. I hate the cold.

JMtoolman

cold weather hunt

The coldest that I have hunted in was -35 below zero with a muzzle loader here in Idaho. Killed a large 4 point with a flintlock that day. toolman

Gbro

We had the warmest fall ever here in MN and didn't have a day below +10 F
several years back we awoke on opening morning to -17 F and the whole season was below 0. As for the coldest I just can't put a finger on it exactly, I know I prefer mild temps more now-a-days:rolleyes:
Years back 2 hunting bud's (identical twins) both bought new 700 ADL's in '06.
Both had shot opportunity's opening day and both rifles had grease to heavy to shoot. The strikers slipped down nice and slow. I can still hear the whine:D
Elk hunting in Colorado can get to warm for me. I know we have suffered with 80's and its no fun what so ever!

musicmatty

17F this past December 12th 2009 and I took a Doe at 10am in Adams County PA. Just a Week earlier, I sat in a Snow Storm shivering and it snowed off and on the Following Monday also. Overall..a very frigid Deer Season this time with each day below 32F.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have run hog dogs in as high as 96-98 degrees but risk of the dogs stroking keeps the hunts limited in duration to only an hour or so but we try not to hunt if temps will exceed 85 or so.

I don't do cold real well so only run dogs under 45 a time or 2... But the beer stayed cold all night long.:D
Brent

phil mcwilliam

49 degrees C or about 120 degrees F, hunting pigs in outback Australia, which is what I will be doing for the next 2 weeks once christmas is out of the way. It was 115 degrees F on the property I will be hunting on last week.
Coldest was hunting red deer on New Zealands South Island in winter. Dont know how cold but we were hunting in the snow on some days.

RamSlammer

Regularly duck hunt when it's in the teens and low 20's. Breaking ice at waist level in waders is no fun. Coldest was 5 degrees on a river. Going 20 mph into a wind of about the same at that temp in a jon boat skipping over waves was an experience. Everything in the boat (including us) was coated with a good half inch of ice when we got back.

Warm weather is for fishin' around here, but had a few early dove hunts in the low 90's.

bowtekhunter

hottest was about 102 for mule deer in early achery season in late august, the coldest was -10 elk hunting...around here (oregon) it seems like the worse the weather the more the deer move, the rainyest most misserable days are the best days to hunt in, the blacktail move in the rain becuase there hearing and smell is comprimised in the brush so they move into more open areas..i love hunting in bad weather

stevelyn

Low= 35 below zero predator hunting here in Alaska. It gets a good bit colder, but 35 below is about my limit for hunting.

That's about the coldest I've hunted in too chasing wolves. After that it's smarter just to stay home and throw wood on the fire.

The warmest was probably long ago as a kid knocking off groundhogs in WV.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
I used to be tougher than I am now

Cold? Duck hunting on the Red River in Grayson County, Texas, 17 degrees, sleeting, wind at 35 -- 40 mph, walking across the open field toward a river slough. The wind chill was pretty fierce. Elk hunting in Colorado, temp a bit cooler, probably around +10, but almost no wind at all.

Hot? Dove hunting at about 105 in N. Texas. That felt worse than 110 near El Paso, where the humidity is low. I've seen worse, both cold heat, but this were the extremes for my hunting experience.

Some of y'all are a lot more dedicated than I. (Or mebbe crazier.) :D

bigwrench

cold

Myself and a buddy recorded -38 on a late november archery elk hunt. So damn cold that when we got into the elk we where both afraid to draw our bows for fear of breaking a limb or riser. I have also spent alot of mornings in the goose blind in -30-40. Hotest days where archery pronghorn hunts in the mid to high 90's. Funny thing is the hottest and coldest days hunting where inside a 30 mile area, and only two months apart. Life in the desert i guess!:D

Swampghost

I grew up hunting Big Cypress/Holliday Park/Sawgrass area, we didn't carry thermometers but it could get plenty warm. Well into the 90's.

Coldest? Mountain in NC. 6* before the wind and inversion. After the front came through I learned that I'd been in -35* including windchill. Good for me that I'd just bought Damart longjohns. The Florida boy stayed a comfortable 80* when it counted.