Cold weather Jacket suggestions.

GeauxTide

A lot of the guys on my MS hunting forum have gone to merino wool base layers. They aren't cheap but they really work. I'll buy a set if I can ever find one at a price I can justify to the wife.
Been using Merino Wool since the 70s. Great in LA Marsh duck hunting and in 20 degree AL deer hunts. I sprung for Fislon, which is the most itch free wool I've ever used. Cabela's has more reasonable pricing on theirs. Great think about wool is it stays warm wet.

Lucas McCain

I am one of those old curmudgeons that used to grab my model 71 winnnie and walk the deer down when I found a track. 2-3 of us hunted together, 1 man on the track, the other 2 circle around a ways and sit in a good spot and wait. When we met up, we traded off on the tracking. We didn't have the amount of deer in the 50's we got today. Season ran later in November than now, there were times when it was 15 degrees below zero, the poplar trees were freezing and would crack loudly just like a rifle shot. Today, even though the season is earlier and warmer for the most part, I sit in a heated box stand, with a coffee pot on the stove, very comfortable and wait for them to come by.

But this was my wardrobe when I was walking them down. The company that I got my equipment from, I guess, I out lived. It was the Alaskan Sleeping bag company. The under wear we wore was a mesh under wear, yes the same pattern as the stockings that "Fallen Lady Angels" wear, but the mesh was heavier and it was made out of 100% wool. The design is to wick your body moisture up and create an air space between your skin and the underwear. The fisherman in Alaska and over in the north sea used this when working on the fishing boats in the fridgid winter weather. over this we wore wool long johns, most of us had union suits. Our pants were made of heavy wool that we got at an army surplus store. We had homemade blanket wool shirts with extra large pockets, so we could carry full size sandwiches in them. Our coats were the red plaid Filson mackinaw, and a matching Filson wool cap with sheepskin ear laps. On our feet we had heavy wool socks, black felt high top shoes and sheep skin lined overshoes. A pair of deer skin gloves if your hands didn't get cold and a pair of leather chopper mittens with wool liners if you got cold hands and wanted to warm them up, believe me they come off very easy when its time to shoot.
Yes we wore a lot of wool, and yes it got some weight to it, and if you get good wool it don't itch either. You can get wool wet, and it still has insulating properties to it. You can fall in water get totally soaked, and yes you will be cold, but not cold enough to get hypothermia and freeze to death. A couple of times it happened and that one of us fell into the water but they stood by the fire in their long johns while there other stuff dried out.
The felt shoes and sheep skin over shoes were before sorrel boots come about. Good wool products can still be had from Woolrich or Bemidji Woolen Mills. Filson is also in business. As far as leather shooting gloves go, I get a deer hide tanned every now and then and go to someone who can make leather gloves, they draw a pattern of your hand, and when its finished you will understand the meaning of "fits like a glove", same with the choppers. Our liners were hand made double knit and you never got cold hands in those.

I don't have much experience with the new fanged underwear, or any of the goretex stuff. But the main idea is create a air space between your skin and your one of the first layers. and maybe it is just me but I am a believer that 100% wool is the only thing to wear.
Secret to staying warm is to stay dry!!!

natman

No cotton, especially next to your skin. Poly or wool. If wearing Filson Merino wool long johns felt any better it would be illegal in some states. ;)

It's just as important that a hunting coat let heat OUT as keep it in. Insist on adjustable sleeves that open WIDE. Lots of coats have sleeves with a velcro tab, but the designers didn't understand why they are there and the sleeve doesn't open wide enough. Look at a military M65 parka for an excellent example of how it should be done. Note the triangle shaped gusset that allows the sleeve to open wide.

I wear a cloth cap when walking and cover it with a knit cap when sitting. I also carry a Thinsulate vest that's large enough to go on over my coat when sitting for a long time.

buck460XVR

I too was huntin' Wisconsin this year and everyday was a different scenario. I've found more important than the coat, are the base layers. You need a base layer of something that wicks the moisture away from your skin and into the other layers. I've also found that once you have sweated in the clothes you are wearing, you will never be warm for long once on stand. A walk in the woods in light clothes may be nuttin, but the same walk when bundled under 20 pounds of clothes carrying a 10 pound weapon and maybe a pack with a thermos and a sandwich in it is hard work for most of us old farts. If I'm going to stand, I dress as if I'm going to be walking and carry the rest of my warm gear in my pack. I also walk slowly and take my time to get there to avoid sweating. Walking thru deep snow or rain means some type of waterproof over wear, but I still wear just enough to keep from frezzing on the way to stand. I make sure I get to stand early enough that I can cool down and allow any sweat vapor to dissipate before getting fully dressed. Having bottom layers that can be pulled over heavy boots helps. Dressing lightly and then dressing when getting to stand was a trick I learned years ago when I used to sit all day a mile back in on public land. While you may look like Santa Claus with a big pack of clothes on your back, at least once you get there, you are warm. Those packaged handwarmers can be a blessing and once can never have too many along. If I'm going to still hunt like I did on Thanksgiving day.(5 degrees and a cold NW wind) I dress so that I feel cold when I step outta the truck. Walking slow will warm you up enough, and if you get hot, you know you are walking too fast and need to slow down. This don't work if you break thru the ice and the creek is almost waist deep tho..........:mad:

Blindstitch

The warmest day i had was the scouting day. I always were these work and sport thermals. I work at UPS in a non heated trailer loading boxes so I do the layer thing.

thermal http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...lack-thermal-underwear-crew.html#.VH9QNy1nWjc

I also wear their pants thermal when out hunting or ice fishing in cold conditions.

My scouting day was probably the warmest I had with 0-20 degrees out. Over my shirt I was wearing a down vest. Cheap gander mountain guide series I found at a thrift store for $5. Then my jacket and bibs. I sat and walked for quite a while that day figuring out what I was going to do.

But as buck460XVR stated:
" I too was huntin' Wisconsin this year and everyday was a different scenario."

Which did you like the best? 10 degrees and high winds or 45 degrees with rain snow sleet snow and rain? And to think I joked with the camp owner before heading up there that I should probably bring my ice fishing gear and tent.

I'll make room in my budget for synthetic thermal layers but I still want to get a new jacket. The current one isn't bad but given the choice between walking out the door with it or my leather motorcycle jacket with liner I always choose the leather unless i'm going hunting or fishing.

buck460XVR

Which did you like the best? 10 degrees and high winds or 45 degrees with rain snow sleet snow and rain?

I actually enjoyed Thanksgiving Day the most, even tho I went thru the ice. Was within sight of the Jeep and my old legs were tired from walking thru the heavy swamp grass after several miles, so I struck out on the frozen creek for easy walking. I knew I was getting closer to more current and the ice probably wasn't as thick....IOWs, I knew better, but I also knew it was only crotch deep. Time I made it back to the Jeep, the water was froze solid in my boots, my pants were froze solid and the action on the 77/44 was froze solid. Hands didn't want to work very well either. The ice in my boots didn't even thaw out on the 30 minute tip back to the house. Had I been a few hundred yards farther away, I don't know what the outcome mighta been. But, over the last half a century, spent a lot of time with wet frozen feet in those swamps. Most of the time they're not froze over yet and you need hip waders. Walking the ice is as quiet as you can get and those deer bedded down don't even look towards the water, so having ice to walk on is a rare treat...till you go thru.

Fresh snow on everything made it almost impossible to see very far in the woods and it was hard to get close to deer by still hunting, but any track you saw was fresh and the beauty in the woods was worth the trip on it's own. That and the fact I was in a spot where I was taught to hunt 50 years ago when my hunting party consisted of 12 other family members. 8 of those are gone now, so that hunt was more about memories than deer. Sunday in the drizzlin' rain was the best for seeing deer. Almost like they didn't expect anyone to be in the woods. Regardless of the weather, at my age, any day you make it out and back is a good one.

Blindstitch

buck460XVR,
That sucks that you fell in. I also cautiously walked on the ice one day and was lucky it was frozen.

I was south of Hayward 20 miles Friday through Tuesday. Sunday evening I was out and found fresh bear tracks. The next morning walking in at 6 a.m. I found even more that were extremely fresh. It was snowing that morning so I know the tracks were no more than 30 minutes old.

Wednesday I hunted in Shawno because my friend was tired of not seeing any deer especially after talking to one of the local farmers that said he was setting out bails of food for the deer last year and the snow was so deep that several deer died trying to get to the food.

I took a two day break and went out all Saturday in southern Wisconsin. I watched a deer drive and sat on the sidelines. These guys must have pushed 80-100 acres. That afternoon I sat watching a corn field with my friend. Just before the end of hunting hours nothing was moving except squirrels so I told my friend I wanted to walk around this swampy area and sure enough there were two does in there and they ran like they were on fire.

Blindstitch

Well I found my solution for the jacket part.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ecH2O-Waterproof-Insulated-3-1-Parka&i=617625

Gander had this jacket in stores and I tried it on and actually started sweating in the store. I had a large on and I need long arms so I put it back thinking I wish it was in a Large Tall. Well flipping through the rack I actually ran into a large tall and of course tried it on several times, convinced myself to buy it, came home and tried it on with all my other gear to check fit and it was good. Later in a not so scientific test I put the new jacket on and sat 10 minutes and my body was hot and just short of sweating. Then I cooled off and tried my other jacket on for 10 minutes and wasn't even warm. 10 minutes after that it still wasn't much warmer.

So in the long run I'm keeping the new jacket but I did weigh it and my original jacket was only 2.5 pounds and the new 5 pounds.

The only thing I regret is it is 35+ degrees all this week so no cold weather test. Why couldn't we have had this weather last week.

hartcreek

Use a naptha hand warmer

Panfisher was close but the best option in addition to all the layers you guys have meantioned is one of those naptha catalytic handwarmers. They will burn 12-14 hours on one fill and when placed in a chest pocket warm your body core so that the blood flow is directed to your extremities.

I have bowhunted when it was -8 and I shoot bare boy and use no release so when I shoot I drop my right glove and my fingers have to stay warm for the release. The hand warmer make the difference.

doofus47

I use a Craft base layer. It's ridiculously warm and wicks wetness away.
For years, I used a flecktarn German Bundeswehr surplus cotton/poly smock with a polyester fill lining. I would pull the liner when temps went up and replace it when I stopped moving and started watching from a set location. It worked well enough for cold days w/out lots of rain. The pair cost $24 dollars.

I've recently come to new understanding about the beauty of underarm zippers to cover the middle ground of temperature variance, plus I have grown weary of stopping to remove the liner and replacing it. All that movement and noise is excess. I am moving to a more modern setup with a high necked fleece under a level 5 surplus jacket. The fleece I bought as used surplus from ebay for less than 20. I have time to value shop for the jacket before next year.

Good luck next season.

Rangerrich99

Six years ago I tried merino wool base layers for the first time; Last year I gave away/got rid of ALL my synthetic thermal layers, including my heavy hunting jackets. I won't reiterate all the benefits of wearing wool, as someone else already did, but I will give you two sites to check out for discounted wool gear.

For layers:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~merino-wool-base-layer-men/

For a possible jacket:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Cold-Weather-

Hope that helps.

Kreyzhorse

It's all about layers. For the money, first thing I'd do is invest in some under armour (or similar) long underwear. It really does an excellent job providing warmth and wicks sweat away.

As others mentioned, wear layers and pack in extra gear, don't wear it in to avoid sweating.

A wool sweater or light jacket is also a great addition to provide extra warmth.

I'm going to agree that some reasonably priced layers are going to work better than one massive coat.
The only thing I have that is expensive is my rain shell. Everything else is junk. I just keep layering.
At -8 I would be in an enclosed structure f some sort. Even my blind chair would be a big help. There aren't many mummy bags that work well at that temperature. I would need a fleece inside my 20* inside my 40* inside a bivvy to stay warm in that. That is "start digging" weather.

Blindstitch

The jacket I picked up made a world of difference as I have synthetic thermals and a bunch of other stuff.

Now I'm working on picking up some sort of compact ground blind. I could almost get away with my ice fishing hub tent but being blue it kind of clashes with the forest. I'm watching all the stuff go on clearance now that deer season is almost over. I want to pick up something in camo that I can also use for turkey hunting. And then pack a small propane heater.

The only thing that would be better is if I could build a permanent blind on the property but I know I can't.

Longshot4

Insulated bibs with side zip to cool down when walking. Felt packs with thick wool liners and felt inner soul. Not made for long walks. Insulated boots rated for at least -20 degrees. for walking. 100% Marino wool socks. Light thermo bottoms. Med.- Heavy thermo top. Heavy Wool shirt with button collar that fits your neck snug. Zip up fleece vest with collar fit. The coat should fit loose and on the long side. The coat should have a belt inside or outside to stop heat loss by draft. Sleeves should close snug, I like Velcro.
High collar with large adjustable hood that will close in tight to face in a storm. The coat should be wind and water resistant. Zip and storm flap. For a hat I like a fleece lined Yazoo rain and wind resistant that will wrap snug. I always carry a good warm pare of wind proof mittens along with good warm gloves. All you would need for a long day in deep windy snow would be some food and drink in a backpack along with your rifle...
That is for northern Michigan Winter. If you want the best buy Filson Wool of Oregon.

lefteye

Filson wool clothing is awesome - I have about a dozen Filson products. However, there are other wool hunting clothing makers that equal (or even exceed) Filson. If I needed something made by Filson and its competitors, I would need a very good reason to not buy the Filson product.

bamaranger

"split tail" surplus parka....shell

Lately I've become a fan of the GI "split tail" parka/parka shell. Most surplus store will have some in stock. They can be had as a shell, and w/wo the the removeable liner. Wear well, as in hold up to use. Turn water to a degree, but they are not a raincoat. Excellent for cutting the wind. Down here, I don't need the liner, but further north I suppose it certainly would be useful. I buy them big, big enough to go over a standard moderate weather hunting coat, or a fleece jacket. The long parka length really helps fight the chills that start at the belt line for me. Wool lined pockets are deep and roomy. Shop for them and you ought to find them for less than $40.00 w/o the liner.

They are not a stalking jacket, the poly cotton mix is noisy in the brush, and the long length will hang brush in the thick stuff. I roll one up and usually don it when reaching my stand. They sell a hood too, but it is fur edged, bushy white and favors a deer tail too much!!!!