Coated lead bullets

Grey_Lion

BRAVO Dahermit!!! Yes!

A properly powder-coated projectile can be flattened on an anvil and the coating will deform with the projectile. It won't chip or flake. - So not paint.

Indeed a powder-coated round needs to be run through a sizing die before it is loaded or, due to the coating properties, it will likely be too large to chamber properly and will jam in the chamber. If it were just paint you couldn't run it through a sizing die and still have a PC'd round to reload.

Grey_Lion

Here's what we're talking about -

If it were " just paint " - you couldn't smash a round like this without it chipping or flaking. :)

if you have a question about the PC color - I mixed harbor freight red and yellow in an attempt to make orange. It didn't quite work out.

Attachments

• pwdrct.jpg
    pwdrct.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 45

dahermit

When you look into the barrel after removing it of course, with a 10x jewlers lens you can definitely see the lead fouling, after treating it with a solvent and bronze brush. It comes out black. Mind you that i have already removed all of the powder fouling. I have been using missouri bullets.
If the fouling comes out with "solvent" and a bronze brush, it is not likely "leading", but poorly cured powder coat. The common bore solvents do not remove leading. I had an incident a few years ago where my Blue powder coated bullets left Blue fouling in my K38 bore. When I baked my bullets longer, there was no more streaks of Blue fouling in the bore.

MSD Mike

I do my own powder coating via the Shake and bake method.
My experience is as follows. I use pure lead that I powder coat for all handgun loads including 44 mag (Up to 1500 FPS in my 1892) with good accuracy and zero leading. Based on my results with the 44 mag would say you cant have to soft an alloy (If Powder Coated) in 45 ACP.
I use COWW alloy (311041 GC mold for my 30-30) up to 1800 FPS and have good accuracy and no leading.
Powder coating is a bit of a pain to do but it has made getting good results loading cast bullets much easier for me.

No matter what bullet fit is important with cast bullets. I have made sure that bullet size and revolver throats are all correct in the guns I have.

Just my experience,

Thanks
Mike

USSR

Just had senecahornet over to my place for a casting session with a MP 452-200 Hollow point 4 cavity mold. Will be interested in hearing how they perform for him in his 1911.

Don

armoredman

Another Shaker and Baker here, in a $5 Goodwill toaster oven. :) Properly sized and powder coated, leading is very, very minimal. Usually the barrel looks bright.

res45

I started powder coating probably around four years ago, best move I ever made. I still use my lube sizer on occasion and it always nice to have a backup system besides the old style tumble lube I used to use.

I never had any leading issued to begin with before I started powder coating bullets. What powder coating for me does is it allows me to coat and store lots of bullets out in my shop without having to deal with environmental conditions and my gas operated rifles gas systems love them too.

I started out with Harbor Freight Red & Yellow and spraying my bullets but switched over to Shake & Bake once I discovered the method that worked best for me an never looked back. I even apply my gas check now before coating and final sizing as it make it much easier to get them on without any fuss. Cleanup after shooing lots of coated bullets in a day is just basically removing any powder residue with a little solvent and a couple dry patches.

j05d4HB.jpg

dahermit

I still use my lube sizer on occasion and it always nice to have a backup system besides the old style tumble lube I used to use.

If you, as you implied, do not use your lube sizer but on occasion, how are you sizing your bullets after powder coating them? I powder coat all my bullets, but I still size them (no grease lube applied), in my Lyman 4500 lube sizer.

res45

If you, as you implied do not use your lube sizer but on occasion, how are you sizing your bullets after powder coating them? I powder coat all my bullets, but I still size them (no grease lube applied), in my Lyman 4500 lube sizer.

I have both Lee and NOE push through sizers. I used to use Alox/ JPW lube pre powder coat days before I had my Lube A Sizer which I picked up used with ten sizing dies for $80 at a sale. It's much easier to just use the push through sizers for sizing powder coated bullets than changing out the sizing die in the RCBS every time I need to do a size change.

Last edited:

dahermit

I have both Lee and NOE push through sizers. I used to use Alox/ JPW lube pre powder coat days before I had my Lube A Sizer which I picked up used with ten sizing dies for $80 at a sale. It's much easier to just use the push through sizers for sizing powder coated bullets than changing out the sizing die in the RCBS every time I need to do a size change.
I already had the G,H, and I sizing dies for all my different cast bullets when I used NRA Alox (all my cast are now powder coated and have been for at least four years or so), , so I use the Lyman sizer (and swap out the dies), instead of buying any additional push-through dies.

Last edited: