Co-ax press short of deck travel

T. O'Heir

"...The brass mouth is flared..." Shouldn't be. Bottle necked cases do not get flared. They get chamfered on the inside of the case mouth.
There is no 'crimper' in a bottle neck seating die to fix a flared case mouth. That's for handgun and straight walled cases only.
"...don't really care about saami..." The case and die manufacturers do.

tangolima

Grinding the die mouth won't put a proper crimp shoulder profile into it. You'd have to buy their BSC die to get that. So what is the purpose grinding would serve? That narrowed bullet alignment portion isn't shaped for rolling the mouth of the neck inward to curl into the crimp groove of your bullet. There are occasions when grinding the mouth of a resizing die to get your case sizing to match a particular chamber makes sense. The seating die, though, is adjustable, and so it shouldn't need that.

I understand about crimping. That's why I bought the crimp die. It is more about sizing.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tangolima

The way to know if the chamber is or is not in spec is to check it with a go / no-go gauge set. I asked about factory-loaded ammunition as a less costly alternative to buying an expensive gauge set for one use. IMHO it's unwise to assume that the chamber "must be" in spec. It's a mass-produced, military rifle that has seen an unknown number of rounds in military service before coming into your possession.

Your solution of grinding the die gets you ammo you can shoot, but it doesn't tell you whether the problem was the die or is the chamber.

I don't shoot factory ammo at all. Only my own handloads. Gauges have no use to me, as I don't plan to ream the chamber.

True the rifle has fired a lot of rounds. I think the chamber should have become longer, rather than shorter.

-TL

tangolima

"...The brass mouth is flared..." Shouldn't be. Bottle necked cases do not get flared. They get chamfered on the inside of the case mouth.
There is no 'crimper' in a bottle neck seating die to fix a flared case mouth. That's for handgun and straight walled cases only.

You flare if you load cast bullets.

The rifle and die manufacturers care about saami. But I'm not one of them. I don't shoot factory ammo either.

-TL

recoil junky

The OP is seating cast bullets, so yes, the case mouth needs flared.

Every brand of bullet seating die in a normal two die set for bottle neck cases will do a roll crimp.

I dont care what saami thinks either. When it comes to cast bullets they're clueless.

RJ

Last edited:
The exception is the Lee RGB two-die set, which includes the non-crimping Dead Length Seater Die. Only their Pacesetter two-die set has the seating die with a crimp shoulder.