C'mon Burris, say it ain't so

bamaranger

I just learned, or at least believe its indicated by net trolling, that the more recent Burris XTR rings, which I like and have been a fan of for the past few years, are now "made in China".

Was looking for a set for a recent purchase and saw comments to that effect, a bit of searching seems to indicate such is the case. I don't doubt they can be made as well, but I question the quality of materials, and the general principle of putting a set on one of my other wise home grown rifles and optics.

Any idea where a guy might find a USA pair in 1" low?

bamaranger

where

I've got two sets of these in the parts bin, one with the clear packaging and the other in a white generic looking box, the only address or indicator on either is the CO address, not sure what that means.

But I read the new ones have a dinky china sticker, and several retailers are listing them as made in china.

Burris moved the "Fullfield" scope overseas about 10 years back, but my example bought prior that is marked USA. So the precedent is there.

stubbicatt

Hm. I don't know about materials science, but IIRC, the premier metallurgical school is located in Red China.

I too would prefer to source my products locally.

LateNightFlight

Interesting, and I'm with you - not interested in and don't trust Chinese products for anything I don't consider cheap enough to be "disposable" without regret.

I have 3 sets of Burris rings, new, in unopened packages. I'm sure I got the 2 XTR sets several years ago as back-up options while setting up several rigs, and hung on to them rather than return them for future projects. I just put on a magnum pair of reading glasses and searched the package and rings with a strong light for any indication of where they are made. I can't find a thing about where they were made on the packages, or on any part of the rings visible through the package. (1 set is 30mm extra high, and the other 1" medium.)

Moving on to the third set... these are 1" medium Zee Rings, and were purchased more recently - 8 or 9 months ago. I hadn't noticed before, but there's a little sticker on the back of the package - clear as day: "Made in China."

Along these same lines, see my comment in the freshly resurrected 'Burris AR-332 pros/cons?' topic. I got a Burris with a canted reticle and bad glass which I discovered was "Made in China."

Last edited:

LateNightFlight

Out of curiosity, I also just checked a Burris MTAC scope that was packaged with a PERP mount that I have ready for an AR build. The scope, like my other low to mid range Burris scopes, was made in the Philippines. For the price, I've been happy with these. But the PERP mount, even though it was sold with the scope is tagged, "Made in China."

Hmmm, now things are coming together for me... I recently set up virtually the same optic and mount on an AR pistol. I had trouble starting some of the screws on the ring caps and had to pull everything off, clean and check threads, oiled several of them and ran the screws in with the caps off to get them to start and make sure they'd work without stripping, cleaning off some tiny chips and dust afterwards. The torx driver to screw heads was a sloppy fit as well, and the finish came off some of the screw heads despite careful assembly. Everything about that experience was screaming "Made in China," but I wasn't getting it. Now I get it!

WildBill45

I hope Burris is reading this ... American or I will buy elsewhere ... I will pay a few bucks more for American products from an American company...

skoro

It's not just Burris...

I was looking at scopes in a LGS recently. I've always liked Weavers and have three mounted on various rifles. I picked up one of their Kaspa models and saw "Made in China"...

:mad:

SSA

Other Weaver scopes are made in Japan. And some in the Philippines. And one in Taiwan. The Japanese Weaver I bought last year is a very nice scope.
Weaver's website says their Grand Slam rings are now made in the U. S. I wonder if Warne is the manufacturer. I've read that Warne makes the Leupold PRW and QRW rings.

skoro

My Weavers are the Japanese-made models and they're really good for the price. Of course, the Japanese optics industry has had a strong reputation for a long time.

China?

No thanks.

BigD_in_FL

My Weaver was made in the US - of course it was about 1982 or so......as were my Burris scopes

I really hate it when long-time US companies use their original company start year to make it sound like they are still making their products here - Woolrich, Levi Strauss, Weaver, LL Bean, Danner, and all the rest. You have all seen those type of ads......: "Since 18XX" or similar, yet they moved things to China about 20 years ago

skoro

yet they moved things to China about 20 years ago

Well, they didn't outsource the executive offices or legal staff, so I suppose they're using that to justify advertising themselves as "American" even though their products are from Red China. :rolleyes: