Cleaning / Shooting items for a 54 cal Lyman GPR - 1st BP Rifle

drobs

Bought a left hand percussion 54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle from www.muzzle-loaders.com

This is my 1st BP rifle.

I have components from C&B revolvers (FFFg powder & powder measure). I already ordered some .54 cal patches, a ball starter, and Hornady ball. Will order caps soon.

What should I add to or delete from this list of cleaning items from Track of the Wolf? Note some of these items were grabbed from this thread here:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589124

Shopping cart: totw cart.jpg

I need a cleaning jag, does it matter the rod diameter? The stainless steel rod is 5/16" which isn't and option with their 54 cal Jags listed:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/580/1

Recommend me a nipple pick to use with this rifle and anything else I might need.

Model12Win

That ramrod is too thin for a .54 bore.

Get a 3/8" ramrod, and when you get a jag get one with a 3/8" neck.

Also get a nipple pick and a nipple wrench, both mandatory items if you want to clean the rifle properly.

Hawg

I've never used a nipple pick or a bore scraper. I don't use a patch jag anymore since I don't use patches to clean. All I use is bore mops. I use one to clean with, one to dry with and one to lube with.

mehavey

54 cal Lyman Great Plains
This is important: The Great Plains have what's called a "Patent Breech"
index.php

(In reality, about 3/8-1/2 inch)

In addition to a regular 54cal rod/jag, you need to finish
up the cleaning session with a shotgun rod/slotted jag:

Patent_Breech_Jag.jpg

ain't BP fun ? :D

Nathan

Lots of good info.

I had that rifle in right hand. I use:

Range rod plastic
Brass jag
Brush
Patches
Hopped black powder cleaner
T/C black powder lube
Gun oil for storage
Pipe cleaners
Nipple wrench with pick
Extra nipple

Goex 2F black powder
Powder measure and flask
Minie balls
Caps #11
CO2 type unloader

The GPR sights from Williams. Globe front and GPR rear.

Something for your shoulder!
Unfortunately, I sold mine...

drobs

Appreciate the info.
Get the feeling the scraper is more for a flint lock than a percussion rifle?
Will Remington #10 caps work?

mehavey

The scraper is best for flat-bottomed breeches where buildup can occur and ignition is "passive" (i.e., a caplock forces the ignition source into the chamber whereas a flintlock simply "allows" it in). (Some note that some N-SSA'rs use them on the Springfields -- but skirmishers are nuts anyway):D

In that light, a standard jag coupled with that slotted jag for the patent breech is a perfectly fine combo for the Lyman GPs.

`Haven't ever tried #10s (since I have the world's supply of #11s). But if you already have them,
it'll be whatever can fit all the all down on the nipple.

Last edited:
Bore light comes in handy every-now-and-then when barrel cleaning. (used to check up on your cleaning job)
If you hunt? Sling will ease the need to carry by hand everywhere.
A red brass bore brush for those times when a good bore scrubbing becomes necessary so to clean out those rifling groves.
Lanyard Brass Charger use? Something you could consider using. (handy gadget's)
Don't know what Patch lube you have on hand? If considering a store bought lube. Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube used in temps above freezing is about the best lube I know of. Below Freezing temps. TOTW's this: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/132/1/MINK-OIL

Being a seasoned black powder shooter already. I'm relatively sure you already know the tools and equipment your going to need to get that rifle up and shooting. The trick is? Judging rifle distances. Patched ball has a rainbow arch like a serrated knife blade. You'll see that soon enough for yourself.

PS- enjoy that new smoke pole of yours.

Model12Win

Appreciate the info.
Get the feeling the scraper is more for a flint lock than a percussion rifle?
Will Remington #10 caps work?
Remington #10s have been flawless on my GPR, they should be great.

I do use a fouling scraper to get the shoulders above the chambered breech. I use a .30 cal bronze brush with a patch around it to scrub out the chambered breech. I have never had a problem with shots not going off. Just keep that area clean and DRY, and keep your nipple clear and misfires simply should not happen.

Also, a good shooting bag and horn would be great to put all your stuff in. :)

mehavey

Troops, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a steel rod/muzzle guide combo.
Especially as steel doesn't bend, and steel doesn't collect embedded abrasive debris.

bedbugbilly

mehavy - the OP has a LEFT HANDED rifle - so I'm curious, can that sight you linked be somehow "reversed" to put on a left handed percussion rifle or do they make them for left handed rifles? Or does it set back far enough that a cocked hammer wouldn't interfere?

Thanks.

bedbugbilly

drobs - they've already covered the "patent breech" and getting it cleaned well. So I'll just add that one of the nice things about the patent breech is that it's an easy job to pull the sedges on the LGPR and take the barrel off - stick the breech in a bucket of hot soapy water and with a jag on a cleaning rod, pull the hot water in to the barrel and pump it in and out. A lot of the fouling that may be in the patent breech will be flushed out that way. When final patching it, it's still a good idea to use a loop and patch to dry the cup in the breech plug.

I have a flint 50 caliber LGPR. Decent rifles for the price and good shooters. You'll like yours a lot! Good luck and have fun!