cleaning primer pockets/weighing charges.

Do you clean primer pockets and weigh every charge

• I clean pockets AND weigh every charge

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I clean pockets but do not weigh every charge

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I weigh every charge but do not clean pockets

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I don't do either

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeeter1

I do use a little wire brush primer pocket cleaner, although I have no idea where I got it from.

As for charging the shells, I just use a Lee powder dipper. I'm only loading .38Spl for the range, and for that it seems to work just fine. I'm not looking for premium accuracy out of a 2" barrel, and it works just fine. Hodgdon Universal for plain loads, and W231 for +Ps. If I were into more serious target loads, then maybe I'd get a better powder measure. When I'm in the mood for seeing just how well I can shoot, then I grab for one of the .22s. Accurate, and no reloading required.

HiltonFarmer

Today I clean pockets and weigh every 10 - 15 charges.

Tomorrow, as I get more experience under my belt, I may only weigh a charge every 25 :p .

HiltonFarmer

Powderman

For precision ammo for my rifles, I not only clean primer pockets; I weigh every single charge. I'll usually throw slightly under, and trickle up to spec.

I also:

Weigh bullets;
Weigh cases;
Weigh PRIMERS (yes, it DOES make a difference)

Size, trim, chamfer, deburr, and turn necks along with inside case reaming, and also deburr flash holes.

When I'm shooting for group with one of my precision rifles, there is just something satisfying about going to the range on a good day, setting up the benches (cleaning and shooting--sometimes a loading bench too), firing two foulers and then shooting 5 shot groups. I shoot one round and let the barrel cool for 3-4 minutes before the next round. After each group, I clean bore and chamber and wait 10 minutes before the next group.

That's how to spend a good afternoon!