cleaning primer pockets/weighing charges.

Do you clean primer pockets and weigh every charge

• I clean pockets AND weigh every charge

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I clean pockets but do not weigh every charge

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I weigh every charge but do not clean pockets

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I don't do either

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esheato

I didn't vote because it depends on the caliber and application.

IDPA/pistol...neither
plinking rifle...neither
hunting rifle...both
long range rifle...both
bullseye pistol...just weigh charges

Ed

Poodleshooter

Depends on what's being loaded.
Pistol-almost never
Rifle-if it's hard to seat or really filthy

I never weigh charges anymore. For me at least,it didn't give any more consistent results than throwing them.

cdoc42

How does one separate obsessive/complusive from perfectionism from just being sure things are done right? A few threads insinuating obsessive/compulsion is a negative attribute to reloading may well allow newbies to lower their guard, create an unsafe environment and produce a dangerous situation. Paying attention to detail is not the same as obsessive compulsive disorder.

qajaq59

Yup we're here...

I guess I was just curious how many obsessive/compulsive folks are here!
Mainly because we still have eyes to see, and hands to type with. Wonder if our picky loading habits might have something to do with that? :D

cheygriz

I've been reloading since 1965, and never had an accident, or a problem. I've never cleaned primer pockets.

I weighed every charge for about a month, and then bought a powder measure. In the old days, I would weight every tenth charge, to verify the measure. For about the last 20 years, I weigh every hundredth charge. (when I refill the primer tube, I weigh a charge)

Most handgun ammo today is reloaded on progressives, so primer pocket cleaning is a moot point for most of us.

Benchrest shooters do not weigh every charge, so I am convinced it's a waste of time. And not by any stretch of the imagination is it a safety issue.
If you follow proper procedures, your powder charges, thrown from a measure will never be off by more than plus od minus .2 grain for pistol powders and ball powder, and never more than .5 for extruded powders.

OTOH, if it feels good, do it!:D

Jseime

I have a lee perfect powder measure and I never ever bother to weigh a powder charge.

I do clean the primer pockets I have some little tool from lee that does a nice job I just like to make sure that I dont get any hang-fires and whatnot.

firechicken

I clean all primer pockets. I do all my loading on a single stage press, and it only takes a few minutes to clean 100 cases. Maybe not necessary, but it seems to give me a better feel if the primer is seated fully or not.

I weigh all charges when working up a load. Ususlly 10 of each charge. After I have my load picked out, charges for pistol, revolver, and semi-auto rifle come from my Lyman 55 measure. I weigh all charges for my bolt rifles.

Toolman

I'm a little finicky

I weigh all my charges regardless of caliber. I clean, ream & uniform the flash holes on all cases regardless of caliber. I prefer to handload instead of just re-loading for quantity.
I don't weigh & sort each bullet or turn the necks on cases,,,yet. Consistancy is important 'cause then you can measure results.
I full-length size the semi-auto rounds & only-neck size the bolt-action rounds. When seating bullets I check the first round & then every tenth round. Call me finicky, but I've still got all ten fingers 'n toes and both eyes. Oh yeah, my guns are ok too! :D :)

30Cal

I clean primer pockets, but only because I shoot gasguns 99% of the time. I rarely weigh individual charges and have proven to myself time and again that it doesn't add significantly to accuracy.

Edward429451

I voted clean primer pockets and do not weigh every charge. I weigh every charge depending on what powder I'm using and how near max I am. With rifle cartridges if I'm using a ball powder and not cuddling up to max, I'll use a measure. I've loaded both 308/7.62 Nato and 223's on a progressive. When I get powder I weigh 10 charges to get an average, then drop one more and bump the measure a couple times to see how heavy over it runs to get a worse case reading and then tape this info to the powder container and also identify the measure used. This lets me know if I'm comfortable using a measure or trickling that powder in that measure.

I hand weigh certain handgun loads also. I've set limits on the 44 Special loads for the Bulldog, and some 44 Mag loads are pretty warm so get hand weighed. When working up new loads, they are generally hand weighed also.

O/C? Nah, Just labgrade. (I am starting to weigh bullets more & more too.)

RevoRick

At this point I only load handgun ammo. I never clean primer pockets after tumbling and once I get going with an established load I check weights every 10 rounds or so. On the progressive I check every 50 rounds.

moxie

I didn't vote because my option is not there. I only

load for handguns. I clean primer pockets once in a blue moon, and chamfer the case moths just as often. I don't weigh every charge, but use a powder throw. I weigh every 20-30 throws to make sure all is OK. And, I scrutinize every load using a bright light to ensure consistency. If one weighs correctly, and the others eyeball out to the same, then the weight is likely the same +/- a skosh.

gandog56

I do clean the primer pockets, but weigh only about one powder charge for every ten rounds. Don't want to waste most of the night weighing.

Shoney

I’ve reloaded for 46 years. I started out cleaning pockets religiously, but then the old timer who showed me the ropes did the snigger n giggle. I tested cleaned vs. non-cleaned pockets for accuracy over a 5 year period in 222, 6mmRem, 270 and 30-06. No difference in group sizes.

I have never read an article that said primer pocket cleaning increases accuracy.

For pistol and autoloading rifles in 223 and 308, I do not weigh each charge, but check occasionally. For all cartridges using extruded powder, I weigh each charge.

cheygriz
Yes, benchresters do not weigh charges, but did you realize that they are using Harrell Powder measures that cost $250.00 to $350.00 and throw charges with extreem accuracy.

They do not weigh their charges and do the loading right at the bench where they are shooting. Once they have developed the charge for best accuracy, they do not change the setting on the Harrell. The weather conditions will change the weight, while the volume does not change. All the extensive case prep is done at home.

Toolman

I agree with you Shoney.
Even the best of powder measures are affected by mother nature (wind) when loading at the range.