Clay shooting technique

stuckinthe60s

straight ones are always hard because people forget in trap, the bird is rising. if you aim at it and shoot, by the time your shot reaches it, the target moves up.

and the other is true. if you wait too long, the target will eventually begin to fall, and if you aim at it then, youll shoot over the top as the bird falls.

rule of thumb for 16yd trap is don't place your bbl more than an inch anywhere around your target when leading. the width of your bbl looking down it is an inch lead.

Lavan

Stopping the gun was my bugaboo.

Once I got the practice of "painting the target" I improved immensely.

I've been searching google for "painting the target' but can't find anything.

Essentially it is virtually painting the bird as it flies out of the house.

Like using the gun as a a paintbrush over the bird's path.

Hard to explain but once discovered it makes a big difference.

:)

Lhigginsqrb

I think I follow you though. It sounds very similar to how I do mini golf LOL.

What i used to do is more or less what you’re describing moving along the path of the target and squeezing when I’m in front. But I want to do a little more tracking with the target at its speed. I’m not sure which method works best.

stuckinthe60s

painting means: to swipe thru the bird as it flies.
like a painter strokes his brush.
in trap, you are always catching up to a bird. so you catch up to it, continue thru it and pull the trigger in front of it.
in the sport, its more commonly refered to as a 'swing thru' shot.

be careful tracking the speed. time elapses....and thats where it will get you....as the bird starts down.

stuckinthe60s

north or south ill?
if south, youd be close to the semiannual shotgun shoot I hold at my farm in s.central mo. I give free classes during the meet for anyone coming. its a small personal 2 day event with tickets and prizes etc..its by invite only. come on down and i'll make sure you leave trained.
22-23 oct. if you want a flyer, lmk.