CitiFinancial Merchant Services Won't Serve FFL's

Silver Bullet

Good timing. I was looking to cancel one of my cards, and wasn't sure which one. I'll definitely be canceling the Citi card now.

And, it's also important to let them know why.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it appears that FirstData Corp is trying to get the NSSF to take down (remove) their post (story) about the CDNN debacle. Read the First Data Corp. email to NSSF here.

The NSSF responded rather rapidly. Read that response here. I applaud the NSSF for sticking to their "guns."

It seems to me that if First Data Corp (and CitiBank Merchant services) were concerned only about fraud/liability over mail/internet/phone credit card transactions (non Face-to-Face), then they will happily supply a list of all their clients they have denied in the same manner that CDNN was denied.

Rogueone

well, I sure hope they correct this stance, I really don't want to redo my mortgage. I don't think I would get the appraisal now that I did 2 years ago :(

root

wow, I just don't know what to say. kudos to NSSF on their very well written response. heh, but they should know changing the background color of some text in a PDF doesn't protect anything... the feds made the same mistake a few years ago with some FOIA docs, it's clear the letter is written to a "Dear Ms. Etheredge"

who is the director of director of corporate communications for First Data: Nancy Etheredge, 402-222-6214, nancy.etheredge@firstdatacorp.com

Matt Golub, Sr VP of internet banking is probably another nice person to contact.

Looks like they're based here in colorado, what a shame, this state is generally (looking at you denver) pretty good when it comes to guns.

Eghad

I wonder if by use of the polite word communication that the NRA might be saying they might consider pursing a legal remedy to assist CDNN? Or loads of bad publicity within the shooting world?

NRA-ILA Investigating Citigroup Issues

Friday, January 11, 2008

In late December, 2007, a large and well-known firearms dealer was informed by a company called First Data -- which operates as Citi Merchant Services under license from Citigroup, Inc. -- that it would no longer handle the dealer's credit card processing business. The company, CDNN Investments, is well known to gun owners and has been operating in Texas for decades.

In the letter from First Data, a company official informed CDNN that the account was terminated on the grounds that CDNN was selling firearms in violation of federal law -- which was, and is, completely untrue. In the letter, a company official, June Rivera-Mantilla, made a number of misstatements about the law and misrepresented CDNN's operations in general.

NRA-ILA is in the process of communicating with Citigroup and First Data to see if this problem can be corrected. We'll pass along more information about our efforts as soon as possible.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3358