Chuck Daly 1911 questions

sarge83

I ran across a used, full sized CD 1911 at the local pawn/gun shop. Gun appears to be in good condition visually and mechanically. About the only problem is someone attempted to put on some ratty looking and well worn Colt grips which could be easily replaced.

Any input on the CD1911 quality wise? Asking price is $390 OTD. Fair price?

Thanks!

VHinch

Charles Dalys were produced by Armscor and basically on par quality wise with the Rock Island Armory 1911's and the rest of the Phillipine 1911's. The same weapon is now available through a different distributor under the Citadel brand.

michael t

To much money for used CD 325 maybe. But new RIA tac is only a few bucks more than their asking and its NEW

45Gunner

One day, while perusing thru the 1911's on GunBroker, I came across a Charles Daly that looked like and was described as in excellent condition. The price was very low...don't remember exactly but was below $300. I bid and won.

The gun has many features that would cost hundreds of dollars more on name brands. Mine shoots good and has not had a FTF or other malfunctions after I changed the magazine it came with. I have a RIA 1911 purchased brand new and when it comes to accuracy, they are on par with each other. The CD has a lot more features. A friend offered me $500 for the gun which I turned down. I bought the gun to play with at the range and it serves its purpose.

Whirlwind06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
I would spend just a few extra bucks and get a Rock Island.
Just curious, but what's the reasoning? They're both manufactured by the same company.

The RIA still exists as a company and their warranty and customer service, from what I hear is first class. That is the only reason I would choose one over the other.

jimbob86

I paid $400 for one years back .... It still works, thousands of rounds later.

Everthing costs more now..... what with the Feds printing money out thin air, would you expect otherwise? Gasoline, milk, pretty much anything that can't be outsourced to India or China has about doubled..... it's called "inflation", and the .gov hides it by changing what they count on the Consumer Price Index..... the phrase "... excluding food and energy..." ring a bell?

markallen

I traded for mine last fall. The owner had a $400.00 price tag, but was willing to trade for what I offered.
Mine runs like a sewing machine. I did have to buy new mags, but after that investment, it's been a hundred percent, and is my EDC.
The only things I have changed are the ambi-safety, put on a Wilson single.
And I put a set of slim Alumigrips on it.

febuary062010072.jpg
[/IMG]

bald1

Charles Daly may be OOB but Armscor still stands behind these guns. My EFS-Field has been a solid performer. No, it hasn't got the fit and finish of my Dan Wessons, but it is accurate and reliable.

CD_EFS_Field_400CB.jpg

KyJim

Just curious, but what's the reasoning? They're both manufactured by the same company.
First, as another poster mentioned, CD is out of business and Rock Island has a rep for excellent customer service. Second, new is new and used is used. To me, it's just worth a few extra bucks to buy new but that's just me.

Auto426

Second, new is new and used is used. To me, it's just worth a few extra bucks to buy new but that's just me.

That's especially important when it comes to 1911's, even more so with the cheaper ones.

The 1911 has a huge aftermarkert, as most people know. People like to tinker with their guns, and they seem to tinker with 1911's more than any other gun out there, especially if they didn't sink a lot of money into it. Sometimes it can be very hard to tell if Bubba, the kitchen table gunsmith, decided to go to work on a particular gun and mess it up trying to do his own trigger work or throat and polish a barrel or feed ramp.

I would never buy a 1911 that has been modified from stock unless the seller could prove that the work was done by a reputable gunsmith. You could be buying a nice weapon, or you could be buying someones headache.

Since the prices are so very close together, it's preferable to buy a brand new RIA, have a warranty, and have the piece of mind that no one else has touched it.

FALacy

^ I would say that depends on the modifications. Most can handle a simple barrel bushing swap. Most cannot handle hand fitting a barrel. I am not a gunsmith, but I am very comfortable taking apart and reassembling all of my guns, and for most 1911 aftermarket parts that is all that is needed. Even a trigger swap, which requires complete disassembly, is fairly simple for the average person to do.

A must have for any 1911 is a match barrel bushing IMO, though. My CD has shot 2" 25 yard groups with pretty boring regularity with factory ammunition and a steady hand. I am confident that in better hands and ammunition it could cut those already pretty incredible groups in half. I have a lot of confidence in my Daly and would recommend them to anyone.

Dallas Jack

I've owned 2 CD 1911's. The only negative thing I found with them was the plunger was not round on the end. They were a PITA to get the slide stop back in. I ended up with scratches on the frame because of this. Oh, also they would not feed Wolf ammo but I did not hold that against them. For the price I liked them.

Would I buy again? Sure for the right price.
Dallas Jack

Attachments

• March 20 2004 016.jpg
    March 20 2004 016.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Dec192002 004.jpg
    Dec192002 004.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 21

KyJim

I am not a gunsmith, but I am very comfortable taking apart and reassembling all of my guns, and for most 1911 aftermarket parts that is all that is needed. Even a trigger swap, which requires complete disassembly, is fairly simple for the average person to do.
And perhaps you know your limitations and do a good job. Many don't. Just read about a fellow who took his wife's emory board to his sear. :eek: