Choosing Your First Handgun

Buying the wrong gun the first time is a recoverable error.
I know this and yo know this, but it is only recoverable if the person knows it. Many new shooters pointed toward a J frame 357 mag will just assume that level of recoil is normal.

boltomatic

People obsess way too much over their first handgun, I know I did. The secret is to keep it simple and ignore the mall ninjas online arguing about stopping power and reliability and accuracy.

Stick to the big name manufacturers and pick the gun that you think looks the coolest (and feels good in your hand). As fro caliber, I suggest 9mm. In my opinion its the best because its strong enough for self defense but small enough to shoot comfortably and cheap enough to shoot regularly.

My first gun was a Glock 19 and years later the same gun is my daily carry and the gun I shoot the most at the range. If you like the look and feel of Glocks, I highly recommend them.

44 AMP

Staff
I believe the first handgun should be a .22. Maybe not the first one to buy, but the first one you use should be a .22. And I also believe the .22 shortage is a bubble. It will pass.

Training (and small game, if you are so inclined, is the .22s forte. The 9mm could be too much for some folks, at the very beginning.

Now, the first handgun for defensive use is another matter. People can, and do learn on them, but the learning curve is steep, and expensive.