Choosing Your First Handgun

ScotchMan

One of the most common questions I see on these forums and others, as well as in real life (!) is "what gun should I get?" This most often comes from people new to handguns who are choosing their first gun.

The answer should be more complex than a quick response allows, so I've attempted to take a stab at this with an article on my site. I think arming new shooters with as much information as possible is critical.

Of course the best thing you can do is go out and shoot as many guns as you can, but that may still not be enough if you are after a gun for a purpose that isn't necessarily visible at a range (such as concealed carry).

I hope to use this as a reference in the future when I come across these types of questions.

Article: Choosing Your First Handgun | Everyday Loadout

buck460XVR

As numerous and varied as the inquiries as to which handgun is best for X application/first gun, so are the responses. Reason it is so difficult to pin down to a specific model or caliber is because there are so many different and varied opinions and there are so many different and varied scenarios. For many of us folks that have been members on gun forums for a while or just familiar with firearms, there is seldom anything new posted in the responses, just the same old ideas and opinions stated over and over. While this is what I see in your web page also, it is a good synopsis of the overall responses to most threads about "which handgun", and would be a good link to send first time handgun owners to, instead of making them read 8 pages of thread(new and search)that says the same thing.

ScotchMan

Excellent article. I am curious as to which HK's you are referring to being SA only?

Thank you. The HK Variant 9 and 10 specifies a safety lever with no decocking function. While it is technically not SAO (because the double action trigger will still function), its intended to primarily be used cocked-and-locked as it has no decocker. Since I don't yet own a 1911, that is the closest I could come to illustrating a SAO gun.

If someone has a good picture of a 1911 that they are willing to let me use, I'd gladly switch it out. PM me. I will probably go change it out eventually anyway as the 1911 is really the example I want to be using there.

As numerous and varied as the inquiries as to which handgun is best for X application/first gun, so are the responses. Reason it is so difficult to pin down to a specific model or caliber is because there are so many different and varied opinions and there are so many different and varied scenarios. For many of us folks that have been members on gun forums for a while or just familiar with firearms, there is seldom anything new posted in the responses, just the same old ideas and opinions stated over and over. While this is what I see in your web page also, it is a good synopsis of the overall responses to most threads about "which handgun", and would be a good link to send first time handgun owners to, instead of making them read 8 pages of thread(new and search)that says the same thing.

Thanks, that's what I'm going for :)

WESHOOT2

I respectfully disagree

I maintain the proper first handgun be a 4" L-sized Ruger or S&W chambered in 357 Magnum, preferrably in stainless steel, and preferrably the KGP-141.

Since owning guns begins with safety, the manual of arms for modern revolvers is significantly less complicated for beginners.

Exceptions abound.

Claude Clay

interesting

I've recommended to those who are seriously going to carry to get a S&W 642
as their 1st gun. you will have more later, but this is one you can pocket carry in coats or pants pockets or IWB in hot weather.

later, as you gain experience, a semi is for strong side/primary carry and the 642 becomes back-up or a walk-the-dog gun.

the 642 1st means no learning magazines, chambering, unloading and reliability testing.

The thread in my signature has some good information. I have considered refining that series of threads.

Unless the person in question is a government shooter who has fired tens of thousands of rounds of defensive loads through a government owned gun after government training, or they have a similar situation with a family members firearms, I say a 22lr is always best.

Unless the person want a purely utilitarian defensive gun they will never handle until firing in an emergency. I am thinking specifically of a case with an elderly woman with a DA revolver who had to ask police to reload it for her when they arrived. In that case it would be hard to beat a surplus Taurus or if money wasn't much of a concern a SW surplus.

10-96

On the note of the surplus Taurus- I too think outside the box on that issue. When I was apprenticing with a GS in a store, we had a number of elderly clients come in with requests to make all sorts of revolvers and semi-auto's more arthritis and increased frail-ity(?) friendlier. On those visits, I got to see more than a few neat old .32's of various lineage! After spending some time with one gent, he mentioned something about some "cowboy", then a light came on. Why not a cowboy gun? What on those are not arthriticly friendly even with solidified thumb joints? A heavier SA clone squirts out a healthy 250gr .45 cowboy load with the same feel as a .38SPL- and just as quiet! The hammer can be cocked with the heel of the non-shooting hand (or a stiff thumb for that matter). De-cocking a major hazard you say? We worked our way around that too. Stick a wooden spoon handle, pencil, popsicle stick- or anything of the sort between the hammer and frame and ease the hammer down.

Scotchman- One of these days, if you have $350 - $450 to spare, it would be neat to see you evaluate my above idea for inclusion. It would be a shame to see SA's totally left out. They may not be that great for CC- but there's no reason they still can't hold down the fort until the cavalry gets there!

giaquir

I don't agree with that article at all for a first
handgun purchase. I believe one's first handgun
should be a 22. Cheap to shoot and little or
no recoil. Great gun to get the basics down.
A new HG shooter must learn about how minute
a movement made can be turned into bad shot
placement. Practice,practice,practice makes
a good shooter and a 22 lends to that quite well.

10-96

Practice,practice,practice makes
a good shooter and a 22 lends to that quite well.
In a perfect world- yes. But the reality of it is folks just can't be made to do it. And there's them that "just won't let a wet behind the ears youngster" try to teach them a thing or two about shooting and safety. There's them that think- "Heck, nothing's changed about shooting since Uncle Sam taught me to do it back in..." There's them that's too shy, too embarrassed, sufferers of 7 or 8 different phobias including phobophobia and trypophobia (fear of holes or textures with patterns of holes!). And an untold number of other such reasons folks come up with for not getting a good healthy dose of range time and safety training.

I really wish there was an easy fix, I really do.

ScotchMan

I do agree that .22s are good to learn on. However, I don't generally recommend them for first guns anymore for a few reasons:

1) The vast, vast majority of people I come across don't WANT a .22. They want something that is actually useful for the purposes they want to buy a gun for. It would be like someone asking for a motorcycle recommendation, and saying they should get a Vespa to learn on. That's great, but then when they feel comfortable and want a motorcycle, they don't have one. I say get a .22, and they end up going off and buying an unreliable centerfire gun because they didn't like my advice and didn't ask for followup info. Now I am giving advice on which 1911 mags might get their [BRAND REDACTED] .45 working, and they are learning how to shoot on an unreliable .45, developing flinches and being discouraged, when they could have had a reliable 9mm. If the advice is ignored, no matter how good it is, it didn't serve its purpose.

2) It is entirely possible and convenient to learn the basics on a full size 9mm. I even think it is better, since you have some degree of practice with follow through and recoil mitigation. You can develop bad habits on a .22 that you won't see until you start having recoil to deal with.

Of the several dozen people who have asked me what gun they should get, I have told all of them to start with a .22, and exactly 0 of them have purchased a .22. I know one guy who got a .22 on his own before I knew him, and it was a Chiappa 1911 that was cheap, jammed on every shot, and completely turned him off to firearms altogether.

I am not saying a .22 isn't a good choice as a first handgun, in a perfect world where multiple handguns are possible and likely. But I think for most people, a full-size 9mm is what they are really after. It gives them the satisfaction of having a real gun, they can check the boxes on home defense and maybe concealed carry (thought hopefully not without training), and a few months down the line when they realize how expensive ammo is, they can get a .22 as a SECOND gun.

Just my opinion. I very much value the feedback and criticisms. This may be a good topic for a second article actually, discussing the pros and cons of .22LR as a first gun and in general.

ScotchMan

Thank you. The HK Variant 9 and 10 specifies a safety lever with no decocking function.
USP's only correct?

Any of the modern hammer-fired HKs can be set up this way (don't quote me on the Mk23, if we are calling that modern). Trouble is, the P2000 and P30 series have the decocker as a separate button and not part of the lever. In theory the P30 could be used in condition one when equipped with the manual safety (P30S model), but the P2000 is not available with a safety.

The HK45 series is more like the traditional USP, and when fitted with the decocker-only lever configuration, is a SAO gun as described in my first reply.

Taiin

Anyone purchasing their first handgun should definitely get their paws on a few different ones to put some rounds downrange. There are so many gun stores that rent handguns and (if someone doesn't know how to shoot) have competent range instructors to teach folks how to shoot.

Until you know how a handgun feels and fires, you won't know if you'll truly like it. It'd be like buying a car without a test drive. A handgun is a bit of an investment, most are not cheap.

I'm personally bringing home my first here soon. But I burned through ammunition in quite a few different handguns before making my final choice. I can't wait until I can pickup my new 4" Walther PPQ M2! :D

aphdmansoc

Good articles but too much information for a beginner to absorb.

If the first gun is wanted for HD/SD I go along with those that recommend a revolver. A .357 with 3 or 4 inch barrel...preferably with 6 or more rounds.

Lighter loads (38, 38+, 110 gr .357) can be shot until the person develops the skills and interest to move up the power continuum.

I'd suggest that if the person shows an interest in developing his/her skills that the first gun will not be their last and not to fret about buying another gun. Most everyone here has done that.

1-DAB

when i'm at the range, if you ask nicely, i'll let you shoot a few rounds of whatever i'm shooting that day. spreads a little good will, and demonstrates what various guns are like to shoot.

my personal 'adopt a novice' program.

selections could range from 22lr up to 44 mag, with 9mm, 40sw, and 45acp in the mix somewhere.

WVsig

Solid article I think you have made a fine effort. I differ on a few points here and there but all in all well done.

To those of you who are saying get a 22lr when was the last time you walked into your local gun shop or even Walmart and were able to pick up 22Lr? I personally have not bought 22LR in about 5 years. That is only because I had about 6000 round of it before everyone lost their mind.

You still cannot find 22 LR so telling people to get a first gun that they cannot find ammo for does not make much sense. IMHO

Also why does everyone assume that a new shooter can only handle a revolver? It makes no sense to me. The DA pull on a revolver helps people learn trigger control but a good DA/SA gun or even a DAO/striker can do the same. I actually have found that if I shoot a lot of DA revolver I get spoiled because almost no DA/SA auto will match a decent S&W trigger. The more I shoot the less I think one translates to another as easily as we are told on the internet.

In the end it all boils down to the individual. How much are they going to shoot. Are they going to get training? Etc... If you put the time in you can learn to run any gun.

One of the problems with these types of questions is that they are based on a false premise. There is not best gun period.... There is no single answer to a very personal subjective question. That is why most of the threads that this blog post is attempting to address are such a failure. The OP never gives enough info and responders never ask enough questions. Add to that the buyer/OP almost never is willing to get rent/shoot the gun prior to purchase.

To me the best advice you can give to a new shooter is shoot. Shoot as many different guns that you can get your hands on. Rent them... ask friends who have collections to go shooting and they bring the guns you bring the ammo. Once you have shot a few pick the one that felt the best. The most natural and get it and keep shooting!!!!!! Once you made your choice learn to run the gun you got.

Last edited:

KyJim

I'm a little late responding. The article is well written but, IMO, is wrong on one and possibly two major points. First,

If possible, use a rifle or a shotgun. These are better choices for home defense or outdoor uses, if it is possible to keep them available.
Long guns are heavier, more unwieldy, and easier to take away in close quarters than a handgun. As a class, rifles are a problem in suburban or urban areas due to over penetration. IMO, they are less intuitive to shoot, especially at close quarters. While I believe in using a handgun's sights, people actually involved in up close and personal shootouts often revert to "point shooting" with a handgun because it is more natural. I would think this would be especially true for relatively inexperienced shooters. Accuracy is usually acceptable for close ranges. We don't intuitively shoot either rifles or shotguns. Then there's the problem with the deafening noise a rifle or shotgun will make indoors. A mid-powered handgun (.38 or 9mm) is bad enough.

Second point:
For most people, a pistol will be the preferred choice. The term pistol refers to a semi-automatic, auto-loading handgun which uses a detachable magazine. They have more capacity, better sights, less recoil, and other advantages.
I'll concede the capacity advantage of most service sized semi-autos over revolvers. However, there are a lot of smaller semi-autos with mag capacities of six to eight rounds so capacity is not always that big of an advantage. I also disagree that semi-autos have better sights. This is handgun specific. I have fixed and adjustable sight revolvers and semi-autos and I cannot say that the sights on semi-autos are better than revolvers or vice versa.

I also question your statement that semi-autos have less recoil. Again, this is handgun specific. An airweight J-frame stoked with .38 spl +P will certainly have more felt recoil than a 9mm S&W M&P. On the other hand my Ruger LCP .380 has more felt recoil than my all-steel .38 special SW Model 15 revolver.

To your credit, the second page of your article, "Revolvers for Everyday Carry," does point out some of the advantages of the revolver, especially simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Please take my comments as simple disagreement with some of your points and not criticism of your article. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

lee n. field

One of the most common questions I see on these forums and others, as well as in real life (!) is "what gun should I get?" This most often comes from people new to handguns who are choosing their first gun.

<shrug>

People shouldn't obsess and overthink the problem. Buying the wrong gun the first time is a recoverable error.