CHL soon - Looking for CCW experiences and suggestions

Marty8613

I see a couple of threads out there opinion seeking. I am on the prowl for my own larger caliber CCW so thought I would start my own. I am in the DFW TX area.

I already have a smaller caliber Bersa Thunder 380 Duo and want something a bit beefier as well. I am a bit hard-headed about a few things. You can infer from my choices below, the budget range I am looking at (sub $500)

I want a hammer darn it, so don't even suggest a Glock. I am very okay with a safety, but prefer the thumb down type (unlike my Bersa). I also have no interest in a 9mm, I have been looking around for 4 months and 9mm is so popular that range ammo for them has been out at all local stores. It's $35 a box for the folks that do have some. My .45 ammo has been cheaper and more available. 40 and 10mm have constantly been in stock the entire time.

I have already eliminated any .45 (almost) as I also want a blend of power and capacity. I have really been looking at .40 and 10mm as options. A revolver will be the next time, not this time purchase. Below I pretty much have .40SW options that I prefer or have eliminated, I have not yet seen any 10mm that have caught my eye.

Experiences so far:
PX4 Storm - Don't like the look or the standard F type safety (hammer drop only). The Storm and I don't play together well on accuracy.

Taurus PT840C, I really liked the size and the hammer drop optional on the safety, but the safety lever sticks out too far on the left side and is really easy to thumb off accidentally. This one shoots low NIB almost as a rule, fix is to install a shorter front site. Not looking to have to immediately make two mods. This one has right around the capacity, size and recoil I am looking for.

Bersa Thunder Pro UC40 - Sexy, sure wish I could find one to touch and feel, looking for someone who has experience with this one.

EAA Witness Compact Poly in 40. - I have the full size poly 45 long slide and together we are ridiculously accurate. Also a problem to find somewhere to put eyes on. (same as the Pavona line, just not all sparkly) If anyone has one, let me know. Sorry the 10mm is famous for cracking slides.

chris in va

There's a whole galaxy of 40 compact CCW pistols on the market. I just recommend you rent as many as possible rather than get one based on recommendations.

In your price range and specifications may I also throw in the CZ P07/P09. Comes in 9 and 40. Hammer fired and has the option of safety or decocker. CZ also makes a spiffy 75b in 40 but fairly heavy for carry.

I was going to also suggest a used Sig 229 but it doesn't have a safety.

Marty8613

CZ P07/P09

Yeah, also on the 'can't find it to touch it list'. I have a high preference for the CZ designs and the P-07 does look nice.... It is also on the short list. CZ-75 is pretty much my perfect gun. It is why I bought the Witness (cheap CZ with improvements.)

It would be nice if anyone knew someone in DFW area that rents some options.... The Elm Fork range 'has some 9mms'. All in all, the choices out here are heavy on 'What is popular now'.

Last edited:

Marty8613

CDNN

Nice. I haven't yet found a smaller SIG where the grips aren't too short. As it is I am having to buy the mag extension on my Bersa Thunder 380 to lengthen the grip. If Sig has those options, I do like a few of them. Though I suspect they spit brass more up, than to the side. I get pretty irritated about that.

Marty8613

Rental Range

I located a rental range in Grand Prairie, I'll go have some fun with that in about two weeks. (Moving next weekend). I still want to hear recommendations though!

TunnelRat

40 and 10mm have constantly been in stock the entire time.

Sometimes there's a reason why things are always in stock. ;)

Before the 40SW lovers rage on me I don't hate the 40SW. In certain guns I don't mind it, though in others I hate it. I see a lot of folks buy and then sell 40SW pistols. Some are because the recoil is more than they want. But more often than not it's because they can shoot just about anything else better.

Axelwik

If you weren't so stuck on having a hammer there's a whole world of wonderful striker-fired pistols out there.

Since you want a hammer, then the only one that I can suggest that it have experience with, is a good quality 1911. They can be found chambered in 10mm. But such a gun would bust your $500 budget.

Theohazard

Marty8613 said:
I want a hammer darn it
I hear this all the time, usually from newer shooters. And I just don't understand it. Why? What is it about a hammer that makes you feel better? The disadvantage of a hammer is that it's a more complicated mechanism. The advantage is that it usually hits the primer a little harder. But that's pretty much it.

The main reason I hear from people who want hammers is that they want to be able to see whether their gun is cocked or not. But this just shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how a striker-fired gun works. On a Glock, M&P, etc., you can't see if the striker is cocked, but that doesn't matter; if there's a round in the chamber it's ready to go. If there's not a round in the chamber, it's not.

Marty8613

40SW

Thanks Tunnelrat,

Yeah, I was really hoping to find a good 10mm, but 40SW seems to be the best blend coming up for me. My wife and I both have reasons that 9mm is simply off the table. My son just bought that PT840C and doesn't want to mod the front sight himself to keep it from shooting low (you would think they would fix that, I've seen several posts out there). I am considering buying the front sight and modifying the safety lever for him, but then he would want it back.....

I have thought I would like several carry weapons, but come to find out, I really find reasons to dislike the ones I thought I would like. Here is the run down 380(9x17) or 9x18 brought me. As this caliber set was my 1st plan on CCW options. This is so my wife has something to shoot when we go to the range, My 45 is a bit too much for her, she loved the feel of a Bersa Combat, so it swung me to that line. My budget was and remains sub $500 until I move soon (one more kid left at home!)

Walther PPK, PPS - bites my hand and is just too heavy - I really wanted to like this one. One day a deal will come, and I'll bite. SET the hook!
Walther PK380 - I found a used one that had a very sloppy slide ($300), so not trusting long term reliablilty - a little blocky, not as sexy as the PP line
Makarov - 9x18 is just too much of a hassle to buy ammo locally
CZ-82/83 - Love everything, except the weight - also stupid sales person said their 83 was 9mm (like 9x19). He missed that 9mm Browning on these means 9x18 - not everyone speaks english folks. Saw an old Tangfoglio clone fully nickeled at the last gun show for $200, and regret not picking it up now.
Any small Sig - My big hands, need extended mags for full grip, found all the
Sig line grips to be too narrow and too short for comfort
Any Glock - I am set in my ways, I want a hammer, period, not up for discussion.
Any revolver - this will be my 3rd CCW purchase, but 45LC or 38SP/357 are my wheel calibers.
Bersa Thunder CC 380 - The low pro hard sights, turned me off. I want adjustable sights.
Bersa Thunder Plus 380 - this will be my next 380, but I bought the single stack (Duo) and extending the mag for 10+1 Buy the off brand 8 round mag and the extended mag plate which adds +2. This removes the pinky hook the OEM mag has. My rework skills were good enough to make the off brand mag work (not very hard really)
Bersa Thunder 380 Duo - grip still too short, but the best fitting 380, and with the extended mag base plate, it is the perfect size for my wife and I to share.

Anyway, I have the bug and the CHL is taking every last bit of the possible 90 days for Texas to process.

TunnelRat

My wife and I both have reasons that 9mm is simply off the table.

I'm legitimately curious what those might be, other than the availability you already mentioned.

I have thought I would like several carry weapons, but come to find out, I really find reasons to dislike the ones I thought I would like. Here is the run down 380(9x17) or 9x18 brought me. As this caliber set was my 1st plan on CCW options. This is so my wife has something to shoot when we go to the range, My 45 is a bit too much for her, she loved the feel of a Bersa Combat, so it swung me to that line. My budget was and remains sub $500 until I move soon (one more kid left at home!)

I'm confused, are you still looking for a 40Sw or a 380 ACP, or both? Personally I'd much rather a 9mm than a 380 ACP. Better performance and typically cheaper too.

TunnelRat

I hear this all the time, usually from newer shooters. And I just don't understand it. Why? What is it about a hammer that makes you feel better? The disadvantage of a hammer is that it's a more complicated mechanism. The advantage is that it usually hits the primer a little harder. But that's pretty much it.

I've been shooting for some years and I still prefer DA/SA, in part for the hammer. I shoot them better and I'm willing to pay the cost premium. To each his own.

Marty8613

answers to Tunnelrat

I am looking for my second CCW, I found my 380, that was just a run down of how things went. I have over the years admired many a 380, picked for sentiment.

Off the table entirely
9mm
Beretta
Ruger

Beretta - Look up Karen McCall, she was a very close friend, and that was a Beretta 9mm.
9mm - my wife without explanation, simply hates 9mm. I am put off by the crowds of people staring at the empty places for 22lr and 9mm range ammo at everywhere within 20 minutes drive of me. And after the drive $35 locally.
Ruger - Also my wife, an ex and a very close call with a Ruger Alaska

Hammers - I like to see them down. I'm 43 and every handgun save one has had a hammer, frankly the hammerless ones make me uncomfortable. I prefer DA/SA. People can argue all they like, I won't have one without right now. Maybe a DA only revolver someday with a recessed hammer.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Beretta - Look up Karen McCall, she was a very close friend, and that was a Beretta 9mm.

Look her up where and in what context? If I Google just a name I get information on professional photography.

Ruger - Also my wife, an ex and a very close call with a Ruger Alaska

Again, this isn't an explanation it's just random statements with no context. Quite frankly it just wastes more time by then getting questions asking what you meant. Just say "I don't want to go into details" rather than something like this.

my wife without explanation, simply hates 9mm.

Then to be blunt she's sort of being silly if she has no reason.

I am put off by the crowds of people staring at the empty places for 22lr and 9mm range ammo at everywhere within 20 minutes drive of me. And after the drive $35 locally.

That is a legitimate problem, though one that has sort of ended near me. I can get 9mm for $15 a box of 50 (I don't know if the price you're quoting is per 50 or 100) and pretty regularly. I do have to drive 40 min to get it.

Giving up on the 9mm conversation since it's getting too complicated for my interest, what size pistol would you like to carry? That will help. Off the top of my head I'd say SIG P229 or SIG P239, HK USP compact, HK P200, or HK P2000sk are okay sizes for carry all available in 40SW. But those are going to be much more than $500.

It's too bad you don't like Beretta or Ruger, as the PX4 or the Ruger P series pistols are good value options for DA/SA. DA/SA pistols run more expensive than $500 typically. Might be good to look for one used.

The SIG SP2022 can be found in 40SW for relatively little money, probably less than $500.

Theohazard

TunnelRat said:
I've been shooting for some years and I still prefer DA/SA, in part for the hammer. I shoot them better and I'm willing to pay the cost premium. To each his own.
Some people prefer a DA/SA trigger design, and some people prefer a striker-fired trigger design, and that's fine. But there are striker-fired guns that mimic the DA/SA design (Walther P99AS), and hammer-fired guns that mimic the constant trigger pull of a striker-fired gun (H&K LEM models). Preferring a specific type of trigger design makes sense, and if he was ruling out most striker-fired guns because he wants a DA/SA that would make sense to me. But ruling out all striker-fired guns solely for the fact that they don't have a hammer doesn't make much sense to me.

Marty8613 said:
Hammers - I like to see them down.
The Walther P99AS has a cocking indicator and a DA/SA trigger design.

Axelwik

I try to have an open mind when choosing weapons, and adapt to the weapon rather than embarking on a futile search for something that's "perfect." There's no such thing as perfect, and "perfect" takes just as many forms as there are people out there.

I try to choose something that's proven, and then practice with it until it becomes second nature.

TunnelRat

But ruling out all striker-fired guns solely for the fact that they don't have a hammer doesn't make much sense to me.

But it doesn't have to lol :). This is America and we're free to own what we want for whatever reasons we might have.

I've owned a Walther P99, I wasn't the biggest fan. It's nice but there are other DA/SA firearms that I shoot better.

Marty8613

And on

Tunnelrat - For more info if curious, rules and etiquette might require more info to be a private, not public conversation.

As far as wives, mine is an emotional creature, and if she hates 9mm and Rugers and by my own experiences she also hates Beretta for me. Well I am okay with that, not fond of the caliber myself. I like 380 for no real good reason, and also love having a hammer for no sensible reason to others. Our idiosyncrasies are for the world to accept, even if they don't understand. I may one day own one without a hammer, but that is another thing my wife and I happen to agree on. Having these limitations actually makes the choice a bit better being that it greatly reduces the options, and since they so are so much different than other peoples' preferences, it forces those people to maybe discount their own preferences and think about mine.

My son has the PX4 and neither my wife or I like it. That Beretta and I aren't very accurate together. My son also has the Taurus PT840C, and with the extended mag, it is the perfect size for what I am looking for. The two issues mentioned previously dealing with the safety lever and front sight have kept it somewhat on the back burner. Both issues can be repaired, but who wants to buy something knowing you have to fix it? I love to tinker, so it isn't off the table yet.

The Sigs I have found, tend to be too short and narrow in the grip, also, we go to the range quite a bit, and brass that comes up more than to the side tends to hit me where I am behind my wife or daughter (or her boyfriend), maybe I should learn to be on the left..... I am hoping to find the Witness Compact in 40 or the Bersa Pro UC to see if they are sized right. I have pretty much determined that with my hand size and grip preferences, I will have to get extended mags on any sub compact. Ease of finding those and having their design be conducive to carry will be a strong determining factor. I really like that Taurus, save for the two issues. I may buy that from my son as those issues may have turned him off entirely, but I can fix both fairly easily.

TunnelRat

For more info if curious, rules and etiquette might require more info to be a private, not public conversation.

Then just say so at the start, problem solved :).

since they so are so much different than other peoples' preferences, it forces those people to maybe discount their own preferences and think about mine

I wouldn't really say they are that different. Also, people will always give you their preferences. That is part of what you asked for.

My son also has the Taurus PT840C, and with the extended mag, it is the perfect size for what I am looking for

If you like the Taurus go for it. Personally I don't recommend Taurus due to my own bad experiences and the fact that a few stores near me have actually stopped taking them in trade due to the number of issues, and I trade a lot. But when they work they seem to be good.

The Sigs I have found, tend to be too short and narrow in the grip

Which SIGs have you tried?

brass that comes up more than to the side tends to hit me where I am behind my wife or daughter

I generally recommend not standing in the way of brass.

I may buy that from my son as those issues may have turned him off entirely, but I can fix both fairly easily.

It seems to me that you already have you mind made up as to what gun is good for you. That's cool. Maybe you should just get that gun?

Edit: I don't mean to come off as short with you. It's just we see this a lot on here where folks have already made up their minds and come online basically for someone else to validate their decision. What most of us on here have learned is that it doesn't really matter what others think (in most cases) and if you're happy with something then you should go ahead and enjoy it.

Theohazard

TunnelRat said:
Theohazard said:
But ruling out all striker-fired guns solely for the fact that they don't have a hammer doesn't make much sense to me.
But it doesn't have to lol . This is America and we're free to own what we want for whatever reasons we might have.
You're completely right. I guess the reason I'm perseverating about the hammer issue is because, in my experience, when someone has certain requirements for a gun those requirements sometimes come from ignorance rather than preference. I like to try to figure out why people have certain biases, because sometimes those biases don't make sense or are just incorrect. When people are looking for a gun I guess I try too hard to help people get what they need rather than what they want. I apologize for the partial thread-hijacking.

Marty8613 said:
The Sigs I have found, tend to be too short and narrow in the grip
Which SIGs have you tried? The P229 has a grip that's long enough and wide enough even for bigger hands, and you can make it even wider if you use the older-style grips rather than the E2 grips they come with now. Also, the gun was designed from the ground-up as a .40 S&W/.357 SIG, instead of being a 9mm that the manufacturer stuck a .40 S&W into.